• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

3C to a Monette - Worth the upgrade?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Norman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as intonation is concerned, it is definitely an upgrade compared to the Bach. The problem is that it requires that you adapt to a larger throat and backbore. If you can (and are willing to) adapt, it is a much better mouthpiece. If not, stick to your 3C.
windandsong
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I evolved away from 3c mouthpieces a few years ago to M cups which gave me more contact with the instrument and after 4 or so years I have moved over to a Monette B4s.

This happened as a result of playing a B2s3 which I knew was way too big for me but felt so natural on the lips and to blow.

I'm playing on a B4s because I found one cheap online.

It is NOT the most comfortable mouthpiece out there for me but I sound better, I do not have the inherent too small backbore/throat and all the resistance issues that come with that and my endurance has improved and to be frank this was becoming a major issue for me professionally.

If you're coming from a 3c here's the deal. Forget about Bach being the standard, period. It will free your mind.

A B4s is right between a 3c and 1 1/2c. You will blower freer than a 3c but you will not have the stamina issues you may have with a 1 1/2c.

I have not tried a B6 but I have heard they come up small.

Also, check the charts but as far as I can see the B3 range is supposed to be BIGGER than the B4 but the figures say that it is in fact smaller.

Because the pieces are expensive, borrow and buy online or go save up and go to a store.

Personally I would NOT feel happy about paying full wack for one of these but I am already considering going to a B4s3 as I feel very much I am playing on a brightish piece with a large ish backbore and my sound reflects this.

People have already commented on better clarity and stamina. I also feel more confident on Monette and I have tried a LOT of mouthpieces.

G
#7 pipe
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windandsong wrote:
I evolved away from 3c mouthpieces a few years ago to M cups which gave me more contact with the instrument and after 4 or so years I have moved over to a Monette B4s.

This happened as a result of playing a B2s3 which I knew was way too big for me but felt so natural on the lips and to blow.

I'm playing on a B4s because I found one cheap online.

It is NOT the most comfortable mouthpiece out there for me but I sound better, I do not have the inherent too small backbore/throat and all the resistance issues that come with that and my endurance has improved and to be frank this was becoming a major issue for me professionally.

If you're coming from a 3c here's the deal. Forget about Bach being the standard, period. It will free your mind.

A B4s is right between a 3c and 1 1/2c. You will blower freer than a 3c but you will not have the stamina issues you may have with a 1 1/2c.

I have not tried a B6 but I have heard they come up small.

Also, check the charts but as far as I can see the B3 range is supposed to be BIGGER than the B4 but the figures say that it is in fact smaller.

Because the pieces are expensive, borrow and buy online or go save up and go to a store.

Personally I would NOT feel happy about paying full wack for one of these but I am already considering going to a B4s3 as I feel very much I am playing on a brightish piece with a large ish backbore and my sound reflects this.

People have already commented on better clarity and stamina. I also feel more confident on Monette and I have tried a LOT of mouthpieces.

G

Bear in mind the B4S3 is an entirely different rim than your B4S. The "S" in your B4S stands for "Soloff". The S in the B4S3 indicates it's a slap cup. The slap version of the B4S is the B4SS2 (note the 2 S's).

Just wanted to make sure you knew that. The B4/B4S3 rim is flat with a sharp bite much like a slightly downsized Bach 1X rim. The closest I've seen in another mouthpiece is a Parke 640 rim.
windandsong
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bear in mind the B4S3 is an entirely different rim than your B4S. The "S" in your B4S stands for "Soloff". The S in the B4S3 indicates it's a slap cup. The slap version of the B4S is the B4SS2 (note the 2 S's).

Just wanted to make sure you knew that. The B4/B4S3 rim is flat with a sharp bite much like a slightly downsized Bach 1X rim. The closest I've seen in another mouthpiece is a Parke 640 rim.

Cheers for that Jason. Yes a lot will probably be determined by price and availability if I ever move again but this helps, thanks!

G
#7 pipe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: