• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

ML to XL bore acclimation tips?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
random_abstract

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: ML to XL bore acclimation tips? Reply with quote

I’ve been an ML player forever (20+ years), but the last few months I’ve been playing on an XL bore Schilke. I hesitated for awhile about making the switch, but I finally got to spend some time with one, and I really love the depth of sound I’m able to get now, when everything locks in. It comes and goes though. I’m finding that I have to learn a whole new kind of muscle memory to get to the sound I want.

Any tips on acclimating from seasoned players who have made the transition to a L or XL bore instrument? I’ve searched the forums but haven’t found a whole lot. I’m interested in specific centering exercises, typical hurdles to overcome, mpc throat/back bore recommendations, stuff like that.

So far upward slurs seem to be the most difficult thing, especially near the bottom of the staff, interestingly enough.

Thanks!
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only speak to my own experience: I make no physical adjustments whatsoever regardless of bore size and have no difficulty with any of them. My horns range from .438 to .470 in bore size.

It's a persistent rumor that playing a large bore horn compared to a medium large or medium bore is a Herculean task requiring "so much more air to fill up the horn." It's a complete myth.

First, the interior volume of a tube .470" in diameter x 58" long (the approximate length of tubing in a Bb trumpet) is only about 1.32 cubic inches more than the volume of a tube .438" in diameter x 58" long. There's not much air in 1.32 cubic inches. Also, the "bore size" is measured only at the second valve slide. That could be the only place a so called large bore is bigger than a smaller bore. There is no consistency. Some "smaller bore" trumpets could have more internal volume than some "larger bore" trumpets.

Second, and more importantly, you don't have to "fill up the horn with air" because the horn is ALREADY filled up with air when you pick it up. You're just moving air through the horn.

I don't know any reason why changing bore sizes would require a physical change in your approach.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to intermittently play a 0.468" bore Holton MF and it used to be a strain. I think the biggest problem for me is that I would always try to make it feel the same as my ML, and that was taxing. When I learned to back off and just let it feel different then it became much easier. This adjustment took me quite a while.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
random_abstract

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI, I think you’re arguing with somebody else... I didn’t say anything about “filling the horn up with air”. There is definitely a difference in terms of resonance, and the size of the vibrating air column. Otherwise why not make .460 the international standard for trumpet design?

1.32 cubic inches seems like a lot to me when we’re talking trumpet. Try adding that volume to your mouthpiece cup, for example, and see if you notice a difference...?
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

random_abstract wrote:
HERMOKIWI, I think you’re arguing with somebody else... I didn’t say anything about “filling the horn up with air”. There is definitely a difference in terms of resonance, and the size of the vibrating air column. Otherwise why not make .460 the international standard for trumpet design?

1.32 cubic inches seems like a lot to me when we’re talking trumpet. Try adding that volume to your mouthpiece cup, for example, and see if you notice a difference...?

No, I'm not arguing with anyone. I'm simply relating my own experience and debunking a persistent myth (particularly the persistent myth that you "fill the horn up with air). I'm addressing not only you but others who go through TH threads.

I don't know why any physical adjustment would be needed when switching from an ML horn to a XLB horn. Yes, there are physical differences in the same model horn in different bore sizes but you play them the same way.

If I added 1.32 cubic inches of interior space to my mouthpiece cup it wouldn't affect the amount of air passing through my lips necessary to play the horn. Nor would adding 1.32 cubic inches of interior space to a horn. We're just pushing air through the mouthpiece and the horn. We're not "filling it up."
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with HERMOKIWI. You don't need to worry about the size of the trumpet, but the feedback and feeling of resistance you get.

My C trumpet (Thein MH 4 valve jobbie) feels huge, gives a huge sound, won't quit on you or get brash unless you want. It's a medium bore instrument.

The feeling is so misleading a young friend warmed up on it as a routine for a few weeks in order to 'get his air going'. I said, in the best Sgt. Schultz tradition 'Nuzzing'...

The perceived differences in response, etc. just mea one needs to take stock and be on task rather than rely on muscle memory. Think of the notes to be played and blow for those. A common mistake would be to relax TOO much for a big horn in the low register. Maybe feel you are centred and ready to move on up high, and the low notes will slot better...

cheers

Andy
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to add one other thing: There's a pre-conceived notion that large bore horns are "more free blowing" than ML horns. However, that's really not necessarily the case. Remember, the bore size is designated by the inside diameter of the second valve slide. That diameter would typically be .468 on a large bore horn and .460 on a medium large bore horn (some manufacturers vary slightly from this). That being said, there are no specific requirements regarding the rest of the horn. The ML horn could be bigger than the LB horn everywhere except the second valve slide.

I'm not certain what the "advantage" of a LB horn is over an ML horn. Maybe you can play louder before the sound breaks up? Maybe you get a darker sound? I don't know that any of that is true, at least on any consistent basis.

My own feeling is that LB horns are made primarily because people buy them. Some people think they "need" a LB horn. Other people are "afraid" of a LB horn because they worry they can't "handle" a LB horn.

The amount of resistance is very important to how the player perceives the horn to play. Different horns do resist differently. I mostly play an Adams A8 .470 bore for combo/jazz and it definitely feels like it has less resistance than my Burbank Benge 3X .460 bore. To me, the lower resistance of the Adams A8 actually makes it more difficult to play than the Burbank Benge 3X. However, I use the same mouthpiece on both horns and take the exact same approach and things seem to work out satisfactorily. The two horns get different sounds, but that's the whole idea of having two such different horns.

I think a slightly different approach is needed on flugelhorn compared to trumpet but from trumpet to trumpet I think you stay with a consistent approach regardless of the model, bore size, etc. It will work. You just have to get used to the different feeling each horn gives in terms of resistance and feedback.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t forget the bell size. That makes a huge difference, too.
jazzjezz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:

Second, and more importantly, you don't have to "fill up the horn with air" because the horn is ALREADY filled up with air when you pick it up. You're just moving air through the horn.

In support of the above comment; it has been proven that you don’t even need to move air through the horn, you only need to cause the air in the horn to vibrate. No net air flow is required to produce a sound. In practise, of course, we achieve this air vibration by the action of an airstream in conjunction with our lips.

I suspect any perception of resistance over and above differences in mouthpiece aperture is probably to do with where the nodes of the vibrations interact with the features/ changes/ obstructions in the horns construction.

The bore of the horn, the bell flare, the water key design, the positioning and tension in solder joints will probably all an effect on this.

In order to get used to a different horn (bigger, smaller etc) the consistent advice I have picked up on is.... Concentrate on the sound.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
I can only speak to my own experience: I make no physical adjustments whatsoever regardless of bore size and have no difficulty with any of them. My horns range from .438 to .470 in bore size.

It's a persistent rumor that playing a large bore horn compared to a medium large or medium bore is a Herculean task requiring "so much more air to fill up the horn." It's a complete myth.

First, the interior volume of a tube .470" in diameter x 58" long (the approximate length of tubing in a Bb trumpet) is only about 1.32 cubic inches more than the volume of a tube .438" in diameter x 58" long. There's not much air in 1.32 cubic inches. Also, the "bore size" is measured only at the second valve slide. That could be the only place a so called large bore is bigger than a smaller bore. There is no consistency. Some "smaller bore" trumpets could have more internal volume than some "larger bore" trumpets.

I don't know any reason why changing bore sizes would require a physical change in your approach.

My experience has been somewhat similar; “somewhat” because the smallest bore I have used is 450. But my experience going to a 470, which would be considered XL, has been that the larger bore don’t require more effort at all, possibly less.
I still believe Schilke’s “Irrelevance of bore size” writing to be correct, even though it written years ago.

Brad
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the resistance is in the mouthpiece with the cup and throat characteristics. I have played everything from a small bore French to my ML bore Super 20 to a Besson 220 with a .468 bore, with no real adjustments necessary, since I play a variety of 3C-style mouthpieces with the same throat ("loose" 27), with different backbores to match the particular trumpet.
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tell you, the biggest blow I've had were two horns of completely different stripes, my old ST301 MF Horn at .468, and my 28A Connstellation cornet at .438, and arguably, the Conn was more difficult to last on. The leadpipe/bore/bell combination is what really did me in, not just one factor (and my habitual use of larger mpcs). Of the two, I miss the Conn for its monstrous sound. The bore is the least of it.

ed
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzjezz wrote:
Quote:
it has been proven that you don’t even need to move air through the horn, you only need to cause the air in the horn to vibrate.

Well..., not exactly.

Quote:
No net air flow is required to produce a sound.

In the case of playing the trumpet, net air flow is absolutely required.

Quote:
In practice, of course, we achieve this air vibration by the action of an airstream in conjunction with our lips.

Yes. And the vibration energy (or better yet, "power") is from the pulses of pressurized air, not the vibrating lips. These pulses are always flowing OUT of the aperture in a cyclical manner. There is therefore a net flow into the instrument. And the minimum net flow required is heavily influenced by the acoustic impedance of the instrument.

Quote:
I suspect any perception of resistance over and above differences in mouthpiece aperture is probably to do with where the nodes of the vibrations interact with the features/ changes/ obstructions in the horns construction.

Perception of resistance is influenced by equipment choice, and this does include the mp and instrument of course. It is the acoustic impedance of the equipment that determines the perceived resistance.

The size and shape of the instrument taper heavily influences the acoustic impedance of an instrument.

Larger bore instruments are generally less resonant. That is, they have less acoustic impedance, and require more air flow if this is the case.
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if you have some other issue like a mouthpiece mismatch or something. I used to play a regular rotation of Benge 5X, C trumpet, D trumpet, and sometimes picc. When Ren Schilke built an X3 for me, nothing changed except, for commercial work, the pockets felt bigger in the upper register. I kept with the theme and also played a Yamaha L bore and a Wild Thing.

To me, the large bores just feel easier to play.

Alan
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addressing the original question, try a commercial mouthpiece. For my Schilke X4B, I use a 5 Warburton backbore.

I'd like to hear from a professional how they approach the different equipment though.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
jazzjezz wrote:
Quote:
it has been proven that you don’t even need to move air through the horn, you only need to cause the air in the horn to vibrate.

Well..., not exactly.

Quote:

Quote:
In practice, of course, we achieve this air vibration by the action of an airstream in conjunction with our lips.

Yes. And the vibration energy (or better yet, "power") is from the pulses of pressurized air, not the vibrating lips. These pulses are always flowing OUT of the aperture in a cyclical manner. There is therefore a net flow into the instrument. And the minimum net flow required is heavily influenced by the acoustic impedance of the instrument.

Quote:

Perception of resistance is influenced by equipment choice, and this does include the mp and instrument of course. It is the acoustic impedance of the equipment that determines the perceived resistance.

The size and shape of the instrument taper heavily influences the acoustic impedance of an instrument.

Larger bore instruments are generally less resonant. That is, they have less acoustic impedance, and require more air flow if this is the case.

Having participated in the long and very fascinating discussion (sometimes debate) on what actually happens in the horn - the "power" (or "energy") and its further fate through the tubing, once initiated by the wave produced by the vibrating lips (hmm - I think I´ve understood it)
I wholeheartedly agree.
Explains why some horn suck the guts out of you and some don´t. Also I guess it´s the unique combination of that one player and his reactions to the feedback from mpc, horn that determines the feeling of the resistance. My King has greater resistance than my Bach which in its turn has a much more powerful open sound (=brighter, more brilliance - in the hands of a more competent pro (his own trpt Bach Artisan)(I noticed the other day in a high level big band). I´ve grown accustomed to the King (through 48 years) so of course I´m familiar to the feedback hence having better accuracy, a bigger feeling of safety. But that´s obvious.
The Bach is a ML, the King DB - I think they are equal in this respect - so the Bach does not suck my guts out, it´s more difficult for me to handle - in due time I will probably conquer it. The differences in build can explain the differences in my perceptions.
On the other hand - a bigger bore horn, and mpc:s with bigger bore, should change the wavesystem - directly influencing the neceassary amount of "power/energy" required to establish it.
If you have the physical equipment needed you may not be affected of the difference - but most likely you´ll notice it.
Sorry for rambling on - I´ve had a longstanding need how to explain why I once was unable to fill a very fine Bach Stradivarius cornet Large Bore while at the same time being very able to play a Getzen Eterna L Bore - suddenly hits me that the Eterna had a peculiar arrangement of the tuning slide probably increasing the resistance. For me the air, sorry, wave, went right through the Bach, hardly returning so to speak.
Kalijah - am I right or???
ps coming to terms with a L bore horn - what if one lessened the bore of the mouthpiece thus increasing the resistance - would this be of any help??
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For years I loved my Kanstull .463 B flat. A very versatile horn. But I played it so much and for so long that it needed a major overhaul. So ai bought a cheap Chinese horn in M/L bore. Bought it with the idea of using it 97-year-oldonly during the time my main ax was in the shop.

However after a week of blowing the M/L I found it so much eaaier to play accurately that I never had the work done on my Kanstul!

While it is technically possible to get a bigger sound on most X/L bore horns ("X/L" meaning > .462) the loss of accuracy wasn't an acceptable trade off.

So ultimately I found the M/L the horn best able to blow lead on. This because I wasn't wasting energy trying to fight the loss of control the X/L bore created.

So? You might consider keeping your old horn around for other tasks.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Kalijah on this. It comes down to the amount of acoustic impedance provided by the horn-mouthpiece setup. This is what we feel as resistance and it depends on all elements of the setup, the bore size is just one. Less acoustic impedance requires faster air to get the lips vibrating at the same rate for a note. A horn-mouthpiece setup can be too open for a player, in that not enough resistance is supplied to make playing efficient. In that case the players lips are required to provide the necessary extra resistance and the lips give out......sooner or later depending on how strong the player is. This is why players of very open or free blowing horns (remember this is just a way of saying low acoustic impedance) often balance their horn with a tighter mouthpiece. A tighter mouthpiece can mean, a narrower throat, a shallower cup, a tighter backbore and even a more grippy rim. Of course each players experience is going to be a little different according to the efficiency of their embouchure, their blowing capacity etc, and the demands of their gigs.
Wick 2BFL
jazzjezz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
jazzjezz wrote:
Quote:

Well..., not exactly.

Quote:

There was an article published in the ITG Journal in May ‘99 by Richard Smith titled “Exciting Your Instrument” which described an experiment where a brass instrument (a trombone in this case) was played with a modified mouthpiece.

The mouthpiece backbore was decoupled from the cup by a flexible non-permeable membrane. It was vented out of the side of the cup. The instrument could still be played with no net flow of air.....

The article is available on the Smith Watkins website.
brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a confusion of terminology around net air flow here. We all agree air must pass through the lips to make a sound. In the Smith article they make the air exit before it enters the trumpet, that is all. The air that passes the lip must escape the system somehow, or it backs up and stops. Put a sock in your trumpet and see what happens.
Wick 2BFL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: