• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What is your opinion of Besson?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shogo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to the forums and I mozied my way in here and I was just wondering what your opinion of besson Trumpets was. I'm a highschool student and I"m really getting into trumpets, should I be using a different horn now that I've played for about 5 years, or was a 7c-3c mouthpeice change good enough to get me through my last couple of years in HS?
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to TH! To answer your question, Besson makes good horns. Whether it's the right horn for you to continue to play depends a lot on its condition and whether it plays well for you. Is if allowing you to play the way you'd like to? What does your teacher and/or band director think of your sound? How about other players?

As for your question about mouthpieces, I assume you have either gone from a 7C to a 3C, or are considering it. Again, it all depends on the sound you're getting. A lot of very successful players play 7C while others use a 3C. There's no requirement that, as you get older or become more experienced you need to move to a larger piece. As with horns, it's a matter of finding the combination of equipment that best suits your needs.

You may want to take your horn and mouthpiece(s) to a store that will let you play test a bunch of different models and see how they compare with your current setup. It's a good idea to take another player along to get a second opinion. You might even want to take some notes on what combination plays well.

Remember that, ultimately, it's the player not the horn that makes the biggest difference. For much of his career, Freddie Hubbard played a Bach Mercedes student horn with the 7C mouthpiece that came with it. Likewise, Lee Morgan, Blue Mitchell and others played Olds Ambassador student horns and they made recordings that remain unmatched.

Good luck!

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for all the horns that may carry the Besson name...

But, the French Besson trumpets made by Kanstul and going by the model names New French Besson Marvin Stamm model, French Besson Classic Dennis Najoom model, and I believe the models called Meha models are quite good horns. The Stamm and Classic models are very good horns, especially for their rather reasonable prices.

I have a French Besson Classic with a Najoom leadpipe, and I feel it is a very good horn. IMO, I would need to pay quite a bit more money before I might reasonably expect something noticeably better... and I feel there may be a "law of diminishing returns" situation set in rather quickly, at least for me...

The choice of a trumpet is much more a subjective and personal preference matter than I ever used to think. What one person loves another person may have no use for...highly subjective situation, especially once you get to the professional horn level...

The above post is very insightful...once you get past a certain basic level of quality in you equipment, it will be the skills of the player much more than the specific equipment that will determine your success. There are world class professional players playing just about every brand of trumpet in existence.

As to the mouthpiece, this is an even more personal and subjective matter than the choice of horn. Vincent Bach did say that the choice of mouthpiece presents most players with a bigger challenge than the choice of instrument. I agree with that observation. Both a 3C or 7C are fine mouthpieces - the question is whether they are right for you in particular.

The other comment that is very relevant is to work with a good trumpet teacher who can guide you in the proper equipment choices and also in the development of skills that will make the equipment work. A good teacher can help you choose the appropriate equipment so that the equipment helps, rather than hinders, your progress.

Best wishes...
NTlead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in total agreement with the replies, but it would help to know:

What are you currently playing on?
gustav
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took from a teacher who had a pre war II French Besson Brevete and it had been totally restored and gold plated. I have never heard any horn including the super horns or the Classic Benges or MT. Vernon's that could hold a candle to it. The smoothest,best range and intonation of any horn i've ever listened to.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an F Besson C and piccolo - both gorgeous instruments.

I have tried both of their Bb trumpets (the Stamm and the Najoom) and have been very impressed by them. If I wasn't so happy with my Yamaha Bb (which has got a Najoom leadpipe) I would be purchasing one of these. I found them both to be very responsive and a joy to play above the stave - the Najoom especially.

If you can find an older Besson in great condition they can be an absolute God-send. I have played a couple and they are on my wish list, as are the new ones.

As others have said, choosing a trumpet is a very personal matter. If you play an instrument and it works for you, that is fantastic. If anyone recommends one make over all others, they have obviously found one that works for them, but it may not bethe right one for you.
djm6701
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the opinions above - if you can get a Besson made by Kanstul (or one made before Kanstul started making them) you will likely get a great horn. Keep in mind that the Meha model is a superb horn but it is really large (.470 bore) and you might find it quite big to play on. Dillon Music in New Jersey has a few Bessons under their Bb Trumpets/Used listings, and they are a respectable dealer.

Good Luck!

Dave M.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a few short months, in the late 90's, I had a Besson International model trumpet. I was young then, neither I nor my mother knew much about professional quality horns. When we were lied to by the local music store salesman and were told that it was a "pro-line" horn, we believed him. What we bought, however, was a dog. I don't know if that was a Kanstul made horn or not, but the constant weekly mechanical problems (that I never had with my Yamaha student horn) have left a bitter taste in my mouth for Bessons ever since.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Welk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Besson 606, the old student model. Now it is the 609. I really like my horn. I has a good dark sound when I play and with my new mouthpiece "Stork 4c" I can play higher and still have a good sound. The 609 is probably aobut he same, with regular waterkey ( i got the that look like a horizontal valve... pretty kool)

Well, As a student, I loved this horn... but I'll soon be looking for somethign else. I'm not student anymore and i'm getting a little more serious about playing. THe Besson Horn for student is nice, but if you have the lead chair, I'd consider a Bach or a shalower mouthpiece to have a little more brillant sound and play higher ( mouthpiece)

52' Olds Recording LA
Wick gold 4X

-=0=-Music is what gives us the beat, but it is also what makes beat our heart -=0=-
Shogo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What are you playing on now?

hmmm I left my trumpet at school lol. As for my mouthpeice I'm using a 3c. THanks for all your opinions guys, I will try and post my model number tomorow.
Shogo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a besson 709. Anyone heard of that before?
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm pretty sure the 709 is an intermediate level horn. I agree wholeheartedly with the above guys, Besson pro horns are great..either the older ones or the Kanstul revivals. Their intermediate horns like the 600, 700 series are good student trumpets but not in the same league.

I own a Marvin Stamm (which my brother is using) and like it lots. I noticed a silver Stamm on E-Bay for $650 and for that sort of money you just can't go wrong..I believe you may even find either that or the Najoom new sub $900. They are great horns regardless of the money but for that sort $ are just a knock-out.

Regards

Trevor
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the International is made by Kanstul, the one I have is pretty nice. It's very free blowing, a friend of mine with a King Silver Flair thought it played better than his.

Some people call the International a 'semi' pro horn, my teacher spoke with Kanstul who said it is the upper end of intermediate horns/lower end of professional.

It worked for me, but then I have the lungs of a 16 yr old girl who stands 5'5". Different size lungs would constitute a different size horn.

Check around, try to find someone with a lot of horns who is willing to work with you to get the right one. My teacher was willing to give me a horn to try to see if I liked it, and take it back and get another one if it didn't work. Maybe you could find a professional who simply has a large collection and is willing to help you out.

Bonnie

Sounds: http://www.sitesled.com/members/bonniej
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing around with an old Besson 2-20 for the past several years. The valves are quick all the slides work, I have had the dents removed, lead pipe replaced and brace joining the valve block and bell together. All in all, it's a pretty sweet horn.
Chaser
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The older Bessons (early to late 80's) are sweet, sweet horns. I haven't even held one of the newer ones.

I played a Meha 70-MB (or MB-70, the .470" bore) in 88' and it was the lightest, most reponsive, best jazz horn that I have ever had the pleasure to play.
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only question I would have regarding Besson horns is their value potential. When Kanstul was involved with all the US production, I thought it was a favorable situation. Now that Kanstul is not making a lot of the horns (and maybe none of them anymore), the brand might not be as highly regarded. The Kanstul made horns I had and played were great horns, but I don't know anything about the non Kanstul ones. It is going to be hard to keep up with the different manufacturers. If you have a chance to get a good deal on one of the good horns and are just buying it to play, that is great, but you should just be aware of the situation.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: