• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen Severinsen Eterna - Bch copy?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in a music store the other day and they had a very used Getzen Eterna. It was a great playing horn & the valves were incredibly smooth. Does anyone remember the history on the horn. Was it Doc's earlier attempt to copy a NY Bach - before the Belcanto & last Getzen? It actually played better then the newer Getzen Severinsen that I had played the day before. Any information would be appreciated.
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early Eternas were nice playing, bright sounding horns. They did not seem to me to be much like the typical Bachs at the time. I had one and wish I had held onto it, but sold it because it was a little bit bright for the middle of the road kind of playing I was doing back then. I play in some groups now where it would fit in very nicely, and am fortunate to have picked up a (very used) lightweight Bach which is probably more similar to the old Severinsen Eterna.

Mike
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own one of those... c. 1966 or so Getzen Eterna Severinsen 900S. Horn of Praise and some others have done a good job discussing/debating the history of Doc's relationship with Getzen here rather recently. I would suggest using the TH search engine and digging up some of those past threads. I don't specifically recall the "Bach copy" issue coming up, but it may have and I just missed it.

You weren't by chance in Galaxy Music near Stone Mountain were you? I saw a horn similar to the one you described there a couple weeks ago... it was pretty beat up, but the serial number was pretty low.
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, the Severinsen Eterna horns by Getzen were an attempt to get the feel of Doc's old French Besson.It's been a long time so I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Pete
Horn of Praise
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

In all honesty, I have never heard anyone compare the "first" Severinsen Getzen to a Bach. But, the "second" Severinsen Getzen "might"??? be closer. In commenting on the second horn, the Getzen Company stated that they had never made a horn like that before (i.e. annealed bell, Doc's specs, etc).

Maybe someone can tell us if the second horn has any similarities to a vintage Bach.

All the best.

[ This Message was edited by: Horn of Praise on 2003-12-01 18:17 ]
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you wrote:

Maybe someone can tell us if the second horn has any similarities to a vintage Bach.

===========================

I was trying to answer that, but didn't do a good enough job. The old Severinsens appeared much brighter sounding to me than the typical Bach 37 of that period. I don't still have a Severinsen but surely someone else here on TH does. Maybe they were just lighter in total weight. I don't know.

Mike

added: I don't know what the other person might be referring to regarding the first and second Severinsen, unless he meant something very recent. I was just talking about the short Severinsen model run in the 70s.

[ This Message was edited by: bgwbold on 2003-12-01 18:49 ]
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bgwbold added: ".............I was just talking about the short Severinsen model run in the 70s".

Now I'm curious. I thought the SK model Severinsen Eternas were all essentially the same from 1964-1979, barring, of course, options and water keys, etc. What's the poop on the "short run"?

Thanks
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I guess short depends on how you look at it and I am sure you know a lot more about the Severinsen run than I do, Daff. The earliest ones I have seen reference to were 69 and I understood that Doc went to another maker in about 79. I now have a non Severinsen Eterna from the early 80s and would enjoy learning anything about Doc and the Getzen Co. Is the history written up somewhere?

Mike

P.S. My non Sev Eterna bell has been seriously whanged by a prior owner. I would love to find a better bell for it if anybody knows of one lying around.
Horn of Praise
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Horn Trader website lists the "first" run of "Doc" horns as being between 1964-1979???

The "second" horn was the one released between 2001-2002. Just this year (2003) the name was changed to "Artist Model".

I hope this helps. Be well.

[ This Message was edited by: Horn of Praise on 2003-12-02 18:47 ]
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

62 or 64 to 79 is not so short! It pays to be humble. Thanks, people.

Mike
2LIP
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played 2 different Getzens. Severinson model from 1978-1986, and a Getzen Eterna from 1985-2000 when it died from red rot. The Severinson was a very good trumpet and I played lead in Jazz Band on it and 1st trumpet in Orchestra through H.S. I got the Eterna in college and just played that horn till I had to retire it (approximately 15,000 hours). It was a late 70's Eterna and it played very focused, tight, and bright. It was the only horn that I played that soundmen would complain was too bright. I was mic'd up for 90% of the gigs I played then and this horn worked very well for that. Not a horn that I would want to use in church or with an orchestra, but if you play big band jazz, or commercial music, the Eternas are great horns.

The LIP
GR Tech

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Fans,

Here is a quick update on Doc's trumpet you may want to know about.

Doc called me on Tuesday. He has a new trumpet that he is going to market and sell. I have played this trumpet and it is fantastic. Doc said it is nothing like he has every played. It's a great horn.

Doc is expecting delivery of the first 10 soon. He will have a website up soon as well.

Doc has always carried around a few trumpets. In the last few months he only carries one. Doc told me over Thanksgiving he pulled out some of his old favorites to play. He said, "after 2 minutes I put them back in the case." Doc is so excited about this new horn he can't put it down. I have talked to several people that played this horn and everyone has the same opinion on how well it plays.

Keep posted for more information. We will have a link to his website when it is up.

[ This Message was edited by: GR Tech on 2003-12-05 10:10 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: