• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

who knows more: Callet V.F. 17-S

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shakuhachi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: who knows more: Callet V.F. 17-S Reply with quote

I found again some awesome mouthpiece in my collection, stamped:

JEROME CALLET.V.F.-17S:

..of course I know that this piece was done by Vladimir Fridman who works for Callet after Giardinelli and is now employed bei Dillon Music. I have contacted Dillon Music about that but got no response until now. I got it years ago from ebay, never tried it until now.

So, who knows more about that piece please (date, usage,etc.)?

This is a super heavy blank with some extraordinary flat and thick rim; the inner cup is shallow and I think about .600 inner id - outer id comes near to a trombone piece On the bottom part of the rim near the shank is stamped "SP". I know that there where some Callet "Magnum" out there but not sure if that is one.

...but it plays amazing good in sound, range and endurance.....a good lead piece but plays well even in the normal range. It sounds not as bright as the CALLET X5 but better than Bhab's TCE 3 CUSTOM mouthpiece.
deejaymushone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Callet 17s Reply with quote

Hey -

I played this piece for a bunch of years & loved it-recently sold on eBay. Jerome orig. made this as a custom, at the request of Lester Bowie. Mac Gollehon then wanted one, too, so Jerome had another made, but Mac ended up not liking it. It was sitting on Jerome’s desk one day during my lesson, & I tried it & loved it ! It REALLY forces your lips to stay in correct position - at the detriment of flexibility in the low register, tho, I believe. Again - I loved this pc very much, & played it for years during the early days of being Jerome’s student. Jerome even made me a 2nd copy & had my initials stamped & gave i to me as a gift when I was his webmaster.
Conn 1929 2B / 1924 22B / 1934 8B / 1956 10B / 1967 20A / 1958 38B / 1952 48B
1965 Olds Recording

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC1993QIK7E
JLandressBrassCustServ.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

We were able to find this Callet article that hopefully helps provide some more information on the 17S.

https://www.callettrumpets.com/images/Callet_trumpet_mouthpiece_chart_1.gif

"#17 (.605") V-shaped shallow cup with a narrow entrance to the throat. Great for high piccolo trumpet work."

Best,

J. Landress Brass, LLC.
153 West 36th Street 3rd Floor
NY, NY 10018
Shop: 646-922-7126
www.jlandressbrass.com
deejaymushone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Mutiple Callet 17’s Reply with quote

Hey Garret -
Thanks for posting that super early Callet mouthpiece guide - never saw that one b4! Also - there was not a huge amount of consistency in his numbering / pc designations - that 17 references in that guide is a very old (& different) one - the one I played (& one pictured above) is not a V cup, & is something totally different, which he created circa late 90s/2000 I believe -
All the best,
Jeremy Mush1

JLandressBrassCustServ. wrote:
Hi!

We were able to find this Callet article that hopefully helps provide some more information on the 17S.

https://www.callettrumpets.com/images/Callet_trumpet_mouthpiece_chart_1.gif

"#17 (.605") V-shaped shallow cup with a narrow entrance to the throat. Great for high piccolo trumpet work."

Best,

Conn 1929 2B / 1924 22B / 1934 8B / 1956 10B / 1967 20A / 1958 38B / 1952 48B
1965 Olds Recording

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC1993QIK7E
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: