• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

best way to affix leadpipes for evaluation?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently evaluating a set of pilczuk pipes and would appreciate any tips on attaching them. I'm a moderate-pressure player and both the velcro strips and a small piece of tape still leave them loose enough that I push the tuning slide out inadvertently. Should I just tape the hell out of them? I hesitate because it's nice to be able to quickly switch back and forth and I don't want to leave tape adhesive all over them.

thanks.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that this want help you Stew, but Conn sent some neat leadpipe hangers to the DFW Trumpetfest for the V1s. The sample leadpipes had a male attachment soldered on at the mouthpiece receiver. You inserted the leadpipe hanger into the stock receiver of the horn and got a very solid temporary mounting. This made switching a breeze.

Those that make and market leadpipes would do well to make up a few samples like this to let potential buyers compare and contrast several pipes easily.

Dave
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds like a good idea...I haven't seen anything like that advertised anywhere. I might try a bunch of rubber bands.
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have probably already considered it, but duct tape will work.

Mike
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had considered duct and other tapes but was a bit worried about the residue. I ended up using three rubber bands--one looped tightly around the receivers, one at the valves (right below the valve caps) and one thru the pinky ring. This worked very well and took about a minute to hook up and less to unhook.

And I should add that the Pilczuk pipes--from Rich Ita--are unbelievably fine. I have selected one for my LA ambassador and consider it to be the single most dramatic "aftermarket" product available for such a horn. Slotting, intonation, and ease of blow are all enhanced to a truly amazing degree.
MrVenturi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can sell you the leadpipe plug (as I call it) I have been making them for years and I guess when Fred Powell of UMI stopped working for me he took the idea to them. It is just a very simple thing that solders to the test pipe and allows for a very stable way of testing. I supply them with my leadpipes when players are decieding on which leadpipe to use on my trumpets. Let me know and I will E you a picture.
R. Lawler
http://www.lawlertrumpets.com
NTlead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A word of caution about rubber bands and trumpets. They do not like each other and if you leave a rubber band on a silver trumpet for any significant amount of time, you will get tarnish that doesn't come off with polishing. You have to buff it off. As fun and easy as it may seem, it's not a good idea.
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the horn, and pipes, were raw brass.

Mr V--thanks for the offer but it's a done deal now. You could send me a Lawler Committee though...(smiley face)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: