• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Practice quietly to play louder?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jasonlijuesheng

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Practice quietly to play louder? Reply with quote

A lot of forums on this website mentioned that in order to play louder I should practice quietly, but I found out that it doesn't really work for me.

If I practice quietly my dynamic range will decrease over time, but if I practice loud, then my dynamic range will increase.

Is this advice for beginners because they always play louder than they should or it means I should practice strong dynamic and weak dynamic equally?
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally it's searching for resonance - if you can produce a resonant sound quietly, then increasing the volume you'll have a much more present and vibrant sound than if you just "play loud"... Which may translate to louder out front even if it doesn't always feel it to you.
roccotrumpetsiffredi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way imho. You can only play loud by practicing loud.

I'm talking of course about being able to do it consistently. Anyone can blast and hurt themselves temporarily.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roccotrumpetsiffredi wrote:
No way imho. You can only play loud by practicing loud.

I'm talking of course about being able to do it consistently. Anyone can blast and hurt themselves temporarily.

Practicing only quiet?
Better than practicing only loud... But not as good as a balanced mix.

The instruction to practice quietly is mostly necessary because so many neglect it altogether - practicing quietly helps develop and maintain a good level of focus in the embouchure.

Keeping a healthy dose of quiet in your practice will help develop and keep things much more focused, resonant and efficient, which will lead to better consistency...
Practicing 95% at a comfy MF+ (which most, honest, players will admit to) will seriously hamper development by keeping issues hidden that incorporating quiet practice will expose.
trumpet_cop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="roccotrumpetsiffredi"]No way imho. You can only play loud by practicing loud.

I'm talking of course about being able to do it consistently. Anyone can blast and hurt themselves temporarily.[/quote]

By practicing quietly you are teaching your lip tissue to respond to an efficient amount of air. TKSop is correct that practicing quiet playing will be more beneficial than by practicing loudly. Any meathead jock can blow hard and play loudly. Doing so with a good sound is where the soft work comes in.

Go for a good, ringing sound and then increase the volume gradually. you'll be surprised by how loud you won't actually have to play.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
it'd transfer better if practiced in the whisper tones way, so to maintain the same embouchure, muscular frame and coordination implicated in playing loud.
Soft playing with a "piano embouchure" will help for resonance, indeed, and for playing soft
Magnus935

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All about balance. Gotta balance the canoe to build great all around chops. It's absolutely essential to practice higher, lower, faster, slower, louder, softer, staccato, legato, flexbility, technical articulations etc.....

Hitting each of these elements consistently and in a balanced routine is money in the bank and more tools in the bag.

Too much time on only a few of them and you limit your marketability, the canoe is going to capsize.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on the individual and the problems in their playing.
posthorn_kelsey@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: quiet practice Reply with quote

yes
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Practice quietly to play louder? Reply with quote

Jasonlijuesheng wrote:
A lot of forums on this website mentioned that in order to play louder I should practice quietly?

Trumpet pedagogy old-wives tale. What happens when playing quietly is different than when playing loudly. There are valid reasons to practice quietly - as an alleged path to improving loud playing isn't one of them.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing at any dynamic is about your ability to control the airstream. The exercise I have found the most beneficial for developing my dynamics soft and loud and inbetween, is to start softly and gradually increase the airflow to a louder dynamic and then back to soft again to ensure the lips are still touching. After you have mastered this do the opposite and begin loudly and gradually get softer and then louder again. The Caruso six note warmup is wonderful for this.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you must learn to play softly to learn to play loudly.
Mendez said exactly that as does many of the great players and teachers.
The Clark studies as do many other proper methods always require soft to loud playing. Chichowitz flow studies show how air flow relates to soft and loud playing.
Those who studied with Schilke also were taught his power studies which require extremely loud playing.
It ain't no wives tale.
Here is a perfect example of soft to loud playing. Not extremely loud, mind you, but still loud. If you cannot do this, you have air flow and possibly embouchure problems that need to be addressed by a good teacher.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPocVpMieP4
ltkije1966
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me playing as soft as possible the with such a small aperture really works those muscles, much more so than playing loudly. It strengthens that group of muscles very efficiently.

The stronger those muscles, the easier to play longer and/or louder with less fatigue.
fijimorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking from experience, you definitely need more soft than loud playing in your practice. You get better control and endurance that way. If you feel like you can't get the volume you want, that may be an aperture control problem. Got to Bobby Shew's website to learn more about that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: