• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

puffed out cheeks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyhas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: puffed out cheeks Reply with quote

Recently while I've been practicing, I've noticed that when I play above about a D on the staff, my right cheek has a tendency to get a pocket of air and my cheek puffs out just a little bit. This doesn't happen constantly- maybe 10% of the time- but it is becoming more frequent.

For background information, I'm a college student and have been playing for nine years. Back in January my instructor had me undergo an embouchure change (I used to use way too much lower lip and was off to the left side, now I'm centered top-to-bottom, still slightly to the left.) Before that, my cheeks did puff out when I played anything above a G at the top of the staff.

I won't see my instructor until school starts up again and I know right now he's too busy for me to shoot a quick email to, but I was just uncertain if this is something that could develop into a problem. Thank you in advance for any information!
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too busy for an email? really? Send him/her and email!

As far as the puffing goes, my answer would be "it depends". If the air pocket is just that, and not a pressurized area, then it could be a not issue. If however, the area is totally relaxed and air pressure is pocketed in that area then it can/will be an issue.

Contact your teacher. Noticeable changes could be concerning - bad habits sneak into our playing if we're not paying attention.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: