• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Laquer question...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to work between this forum for advice pertaining to trumpet finishes, and the airbrushing forum for details about airbrushing hard, contoured surfaces (a trumpet).

If one plans to relaquer a horn, what is the best method for removing old laquer?
What types of laquer (clear or colored) are used for relaquering?

Thanks,

Bonnie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Welk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A kid in cadet have once give a bath to his horn. The bath was really hot, almost boiling. He didn't know too much about instrument care. When he camed back after an hour, the lacquer was gone and was floating in the water. HE got really yellled at for doing this.

I coudn't tell if all the laquered has gone... but it may be a way to do it. I would do that, but it seem to have worked... when it wasn't suppose to arrive willingly,

52' Olds Recording LA
Wick gold 4X

-=0=-Music is what gives us the beat, but it is also what makes beat our heart -=0=-
elbobogrande
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that a trip through the dishwasher (no soap) will strip the lacquer rather handily.
John
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried a bunch of strippers (as well as the dishwasher approach) and the best way I've found to remove lacquer is Cold Stripper from http://www.ferreestools.com

Remove the valves and carefully set them on end on a shelf where they won't get knocked over. Put on some rubber gloves and brush the stripper on the horn. Let it bubble up for a few minutes, then plunge the horn into a tub of cold water. Most of the lacquer will float right off, although it may be necessary to repeat the process in cases where stubborn patches remain.

Dry the horn with an old towel. Leave it natural if you like the look, or polish with your favorite metal polish. I like Billet Motorycle polish. It's used to get bikes ready to show, and won't harm the finish.

Eventually, oxydation will turn the horn a nice dark brass color. Or you can polish it every few months if you like a bright look. If you're hands are exceptionally acidic, you may want to get a leather guard for the valve casings or your hands will turn green.

Some players become concerned about brass poisoning, but I've yet to find evidence that merely holding a raw brass horn is dangerous. I have heard some pretty horrifying stories about the results of playing on raw brass mouthpieces, however. (Some players like the feel, believe it or not.) In a word, "don't."

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
jhaysom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I boiled my King Silvertone cornet in the biggest pot my mother-in-law had, with the valves remove of course. Just took a little brushing in the crevises with an old toothbrush to finish the job.

It took a little explaining to my mother-in-law though.
Yamaha 8310ZS trumpet
Yamaha 6310ZS trumpet
Courtois flugel
1941 King Silvertone cornet
1941 King 2B valve trombone
Kanstul 920 piccolo
etc.
oneeyedhobbit
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless one wants a raw brass horn, I'm really not sure why so many people insist on a "do-it-yourself" lacquer removal, most shops charge about the same weather or not they take off the lacquer, in my experience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my repair guy did not like to work with caustic chemicals, and just would not do stripping. If you want it done, you have to do it yourself.

Mike
Bowtie_SBC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this talk about boiling a trumpet to remove the lacquer. Don't the soldered joints and braces come off with all the heat??? Or atleast loosen them up?
I was always told when performing regular cleaning inside of a trumpet, never use water hotter than luke warm, to prevent problems with the solder.

Conn Connstellation 38B
Jupiter Tribune
Jupiter 846S Flugelhorn
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam,

Solder melts at roughly twice the temperature of boiling water. I have heard numerous horror stories about lacquer shredding off with boiling water -- depends on the type of lacquer. Some will, some won't. I think the problem with joints is that the temperature coefficient of expansion is different for solder and brass, so stress is created during thermal cycling. This can cause things to pop loose, especially if the horn is just dumped into boiling water. Probably better to raise the temperature gradually.

Oh, dumping ice water over it at the end to cool it down fast probably isn't a real good idea either...

HTH - Don
TimBrown
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I'm doing the hot water trick on the Fischer cornet I got today. I've been pouring boiling water over it and so far it is working...I have it in the sink...nothing big enough to put it in on the stove.

Nothing popping yet...

wait..

ohoh..

kidding!

1912 Holton New Proportion cornet
Kanstul CCF 925 flugel
King 1122 MFH

10 out of 10 people die. Do you consider yourself to be a good person?
WaxHaX0rS
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old TR300 that my dad picked up cheap from ebay that I used to use for rehearsal at my school. It had much of the laquer missing. Rehearsal was right before lunch and everyday my hands would be green after rehearsal, hah.
TimBrown
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie:

My horn is done...and it went fine. The only issue was lacquer that didn't come off and left a film but it wiped off with a plastic mesh pad and no scratches that I can see. Again, I didn't keep mine on the stove...but put it in the sink with boiling water...adding two more doses to keep it hot. THen i just let it sit.

Tim
1912 Holton New Proportion cornet
Kanstul CCF 925 flugel
King 1122 MFH

10 out of 10 people die. Do you consider yourself to be a good person?
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot! I had expected this thread to be unanswered and slip to the bottom rather quickly.

I hope the laquer does come off in hot water. I'm thinking I'm going to have problems with mainly the tight areas that are around where the tubing meets and such.

Bonnie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: