• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Forum titled 'trumpet related injuries' be helpful?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Forum titled 'trumpet related injuries' be helpful? Reply with quote

I can't be the first person to have thought of this. So far after perusing posts here and there I've seen various playing related troubles.

Most the time the cause was abuse and over training. Then there were accidents or medical conditions. Like Bells Palsy etc. Most the posts I've seen related to injury have been on either "High Range Development" or "Fundamentals". Which seems the natural condition. Abuse from high note usage and excessive practice resulting in over-trained chops. This in turn creating insecurity in playing performance.

But I had an ulterior motive by starting this topic. As my right, upper front tooth broke off completely this past Saturday. Knew it would happen sooner or later. Was completely expected due to a visit with my dentist last Spring.
Sure am glad I found the new dental program. It's affordable!

It wasn't a playing related condition. Basically I just got old, temporarily ran out of dental insurance for five+ years after my divorce. And without those standard bi-annual plaque cleanings and X-Rays? My tooth essentially has just died yet remained in place. This allowed me to continue on playing like nothing had ever happened. Even though the tooth was though dead, again it still provided ample support behind my upper lip.

Good thing it happened at summer's end. As with the timing involved it's loss didn't affect any ensembles I'm a part of. And since I got the diagnosis of the injury last Spring? I've had plenty of time to adjust to the inevitable. But what does this missing gap do?

1. Tends to make words starting with "F" to require extra concentration. Probably a plus while driving. As it lessens the likelyhood of certain expletives being fired back at bad drivers Lol.
2. I look like a poor hillbilly in the mirror. With apologies to countryfolk in advance. And?
3. My upper register on the trumpet is absolutely gone. I was afraid of this happening last. If I try hard I can squeak little F's but basically? My formerly good register is gone...

My next dental exam is Sept. Until then I'm not tripping on the matter. Have found subs for all three ensembles I'm in. Best of all?

I'm not depressed about this at all. For two reasons. One because I knew that it was coming. And, about nine months ago I had started an entirely different embouchure. Basically had started on it last last Christmas. Its a version of Stevens-Costello. Will keep ya posted. Frankly I'm excited! As the loss of my tooth while regrettable does not affect my new way of playing at all! Not in the slightest.

And since I simply can not play at all on my former embouchure? The tooth loss absolutely forces me to work on the described embouchure.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: