• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Players with a similar embouchure to Sergei Nakariakov?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
I think if you edited the video and rotated it so that his horn angle is higher you'd probably notice that his embouchure isn't really out of the ordinary. It's his downward head angle and playing to the floor that most notice as being out of place. It obviously works for him.

Right. He has an overbite. I have one as well, and it makes your natural horn angle pretty low. Nothing crazy. It worked for Miles!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSOfanboy wrote:
cheiden wrote:
Sergei is one of the most gifted trumpet players I've ever heard. He clearly has all the necessary skill to masterfully render some extraordinary literature. With all that he has accomplished it never occurred to me that he hasn't demonstrated screaming lead chops. I don't expect him to publish Bill Chase's greatest hits anytime soon, nor will I hold it against him. Does that make him in any way a lesser player? I think not.

I like high notes as much or more than many. From early on my collection was chock full of MF and Chase. But I also have plenty of Clifford, Louis, Winton, Art,... I don't expect to hear screaming lead playing from them either.

Seems to me it's a bit like expecting a prima ballerina to impress me with how much she can bench press?

Yeah, seems to me that Sergei's physical approach is a bit different than typical. To that end, I really like the quote from the previous post, "I would experiment to see if a mouthpiece placement higher on the lips would work better, but it's also really hard to say that such beautiful playing is wrong."

Morning rant over. Back to work.

Hi,

I am not sure if your post is aimed at my comments specifically, I had tried to make it explicitly clear that I think Sergei is a truly incredible player and that I view him in the highest regard, my comments on his range were not meant in any way to disparage his achievements.

I confess that my post was partly in response to comments of yours that intentionally or otherwise come across as negative toward players that don't demonstrate high range on par with some other successful players.

I suppose, and I apologize that my response may also be a bit of a knee-jerk due to other separate conversations. Like the one from my drum-corp loving brother-in-law who volunteered in conversation how much better Sergei would be if he just held his horn up. Or another when my most trusted trumpet playing colleague specifically took Sergie to task because he lacked what I perceive as the bravura, operatic quality of Timofey.

I'm green with envy that you've managed to see him live. I doubt I'll ever have that opportunity.

What we do is hard. And for an analytical guy like me (I'm an engineer) it's hard not to deconstruct most everything. But I'm trying hard to let the art be art.

No disrespect intended. Please keep up the good posts and lively conversation.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
oxleyk wrote:
I think if you edited the video and rotated it so that his horn angle is higher you'd probably notice that his embouchure isn't really out of the ordinary. It's his downward head angle and playing to the floor that most notice as being out of place. It obviously works for him.

Right. He has an overbite. I have one as well, and it makes your natural horn angle pretty low. Nothing crazy. It worked for Miles!

I'm not saying his dental work might not be a factor, but I understand that the downward horn angle is due to a back injury in his formative years.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
vwag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old thread- but wasn't sure if I should put this in Horns or Players.

From the AR_Resonance Instagram post: https://www.instagram.com/p/B5frOr6ICtq/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Super interesting horn, and even better player! SOMEDAY....

-------

Sergei Nakariakov!!! This is the trumpet I custom built for him, along with a set of new mouthpieces specifically tailored for the different kinds of music he plays, and also a mouthpiece for his beautiful Courtois flugelhorn.

I’m so happy and proud to have spent 4 unbelievable days with him testing all sorts of things.

Here’s what we came up with:
A custom trumpet with a 140mm bronze bell, same shape as the Feroce mode. Very light nickel silver leadpipe. Slightly different layout than usual for an easier and more centered sound, ideal for classical soloists.
The whole horn is practically brass free, which is kind of fun considering it’s from the brass family... A new mouthpiece for his Courtois flugelhorn with a longer than usual configuration, extremely deep and V shaped cup, a longer cylindrical section, all in bronze.
This mouthpiece keeps the wonderful dark sound he likes while providing a wider harmonic spread for an easier life reaching high notes. Also, it is much more stable and offers a cleaner and easier articulation.

A new mouthpiece for trumpet: basically an LC (about a Bach 1-1/4C size) with 4.00mm bore, a custom 40-L backbore that makes articulation easier and harmonics locked in.

A semi-deep V-shaped cup with the same rim and diameter and a 4.2mm bore coupled with a very short backbore, more or less like a cornet, for a crazy fast articulation and dark and smooth sound. Meant to be something between a trumpet and a flugelhorn, for when you need to be velvety without loosing the ability to sound crisp and loud when needed.

A deep V-shaped cup, same specs as the previous one, for the Arban kind of repertoire: practically a British brass band kind of cornet sound. Fastest and cleanest articulation you can dream of.

All the mouthpieces are in phosphor bronze for a much wider sound palette, faster response, cleaner articulation and more stable feel. Bronze never fails!
Also, they are beautifully engraved with Sergei’s name and the Star of David.

Sergei is currently testing the trumpet and all the mouthpieces in a series of concerts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: