• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Shew Yamaha trumpet. Need some input.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Shew Yamaha trumpet. Need some input. Reply with quote

What are your experiences with a Shew Yamaha trumpet? I've got one I'm trying out, which is just a short time, but want to know what a long range experience might be. Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely love mine. It's been my main axe for about 10 years. It's incredibly easy to play, the flexibility is astounding, it's the most in-tune trumpet I've ever played, and it offers an extremely wide range of tones, from a low growl to sizzle upstairs. I can't imagine playing my 3-hour combo gigs or loud rock band stuff without it, and I've performed classical on it with no problems.

My girlfriend accompanied me to Dillon Music one day, where I played several dozen from their "wall of trumpets" including some quite magnificent instruments. She said that no other trumpet has a sound that's as exciting as the 8310z.

Great horn!!
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Z horn was the last of the big bell horns (big in sense of taper, not diameter) that I bought; a Franz Straub was the first one, followed by the B&S MBX, both dark sounding horns but not the most easy horns to play to me. I was looking for a horn that had an easier blow so I bought a 6310 Z second hand.
I liked the blow of the 6310Z a lot, a lot more easy but I actually I found out that dark sounding horns are not my thing. I sold her after I discovered the Conn 22B Victor. Same ease of playing but with the brassy sound I prefer

The 6310Z was very sensitive for red rot: Even red rot in the tube that leads to the bell, there where that tube leaves the first valve.
Speaking about the valves, although they felt great they suffered from plate loss

To me the Yamaha is a nice player but a poor make, very disappointing

The 8310Z I also posessed. I found the 6310Z a better player
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously considered buying a 6310Z on a couple of occasions. It blows really different from my favorite Bach models but I got the impression that over time that might be a good thing. The 8310Z models I tried were quite different and lost much of what I liked about the 6310Z.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have not tried the Shew model, but for what its worth; I have a NOS NIKKAN trumpet, the one it is said that was the precursor of modern Yamahas...and it is a fantastic-playing horn. Mine is not even the "pro" model and it is flawless. I also heard that mine was a "copy" of a Schilke.....it does look like the first Schilkes....
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Romm, Jens Lindeman, Greg Gisbert
Trumpetmannj

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Z horns play a lot differently to other horns. I’ve had a couple of 6310s and an 8310z the 6310 is overblown very easily, the 8310 is a bit more forgiving. I always wind up selling these horns after playing them every day for a couple of years. Then a few years later I’ll miss the horn and I’ll buy another. I think they are the easiest horns to play but I found them a liability playing lower section parts where the intonation and blend had to be perfect. That said, I’m probably going to buy another 6310z when I find a bargain.

One other aspect of the horn, it will make you like your Bach less after a while. Ive moved on to a benge 3x for lead playing and a kanstul for everything else
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not quite the same but the 6310Zs I've played had a lightness that compares somewhat to the Kanstul 1000 Chicago model. Again, really different than the weightier playing Bach that I usually prefer, but cool in a whole different way.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had the money and the space I would probably have one. i keep discovering that light-ish M bore horns work for me. Play tested the 6310, 8310, Schilke B6 and B7 multiple times and really liked all of them. Keep wondering if I should have invested my money in one of those rather than redoing my Bach (which is a great horn and plays even better after the overhaul) ...

Really like the Shew horn, it is flexible and not always dark, it very much depends on how you pplay. For me, playing high is easier on the Shew. I find the sound is much broader than my Bach, too.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I was playing on "Cats" in Hamburg, Germany (many years ago) the person who played 2nd trumpet on the show normally played a Bach 72R trumpet and sounded fantastic on it, but perhaps a little tiny bit too "legit" in tone quality. But for the 2nd book it worked fine. One day he came in with a brand new (first generation) Shew horn and it sounded great - brighter, more commercial tone. Then about a week later I had my three week vacation back to the States and when I returned I was surprised to see he was playing on his Bach trumpet again. I asked him why and he told me the Shew horn was great for the first two weeks but then he started missing notes all over the place on the show, and therefore went back to his Bach, which he continued to play on for the rest of the final year of the 14 year run of the show. Completely anecdotal I know, but hey, if you don't start missing notes after a few weeks on it, you'll probably be fine with it.

Cheers,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 6310Z and it was just ok. Nice horn, but I really couldn't get it up put out in the middle register.
Bought an 8310Z and found it to be a better all around horn. I recommend these to a lot of players.
I play a lot of horns and the 8310Z is one of my favorites.
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played the 8310Z since they first came out. I think that it is great improvement over the 6310Z. Wider slots and better feedback. I also play a Bach LT 43. The Z is very mouthpiece friendly. The Bach works great with specific mouthpieces, but not all. The gap is much more critical on the Bach.

The 8310Z is a killer horn after you play it for a while.

Pete
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
I have played the 8310Z since they first came out. I think that it is great improvement over the 6310Z. Wider slots and better feedback. I also play a Bach LT 43. The Z is very mouthpiece friendly. The Bach works great with specific mouthpieces, but not all. The gap is much more critical on the Bach.

The 8310Z is a killer horn after you play it for a while.

Pete

I never detected the wider slots, which I generally don't favor. Perhaps that's part of why I had a better impression of the 6310Z.

I do like my Bach 43/43.
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: 8310z Reply with quote

This is a great review of these fantastic horns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx72xd530j8
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a nice link, Thanks

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: 8310z Reply with quote

I thought the part of the video regarding it's connection to the Martin Committee was interesting. A lot of the players I like listening to, such as Richie Vitale, Michael Rodrequez, Ron Stout (6310z), and especially Joe Magnarelli use the Z horns.

Anytime I watch a YouTube clip of players using various Yamahas, their reasons as to why are almost always the same: Yamahas are responsive, they have an even blow throughout the entire range of the horn, and they play in tune. There's a clip of Wayne Bergeron talking about when he switched to his Yamaha model, he kind of had to retrain his chops not to adjust to the intonation issues he had with his other horn.
Al Mullin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re buying a Yamaha 8310Z. Go for it, man, if you want more top end sizzle. And it plays sweetly - but lightly - in the other ranges. It also blows a lot more easily than many. I used it for several years when playing the ships and big bands. It cuts through the sax section much better than "fatter" horns. I sold it when I stopped doing those gigs and then missed it when I joined a jazz ten-tet for which it would have been perfect. (the Schilke replaced it)

Schilke B2
Bach 180/37
Bach C Strad
Yamaha D/Eb
Olds Super cornet
Olds Clark Terry flugel
onlyson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 6310Z was my go to commercial horn for about 10 years. It was a very early version though and had pretty lousy valves and the blow was kind of tight. When I sold it I embarked on a safari that eventually brought me back to the Shew horn. That second one was much better in the valve and blow department. However, roughly two months after that purchase I discovered the 8335LA. Same sound but with an easier blow. It's been my go to for many years now.
1951 Martin Committee Deluxe #3 Bore
ACB Coppernicus
Couesnon Flugel
Carol Pocket Trumpet
cameronmilligan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my 8310z. Got it second hand from Landress in Nee York city, after they did a valve alignment on it. Great for any situation - bright and cutting when needed and also dark and full when I want it. well made horn - Yamaha is so consistent in their manufacturing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: