• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece pressure adapters

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackquill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Mouthpiece pressure adapters Reply with quote

Hi,

I borrowed this nitfy device from my friend:

https://www.thomannmusic.com/stoelzel_methodischer_uebungsadapter_trp.htm?sid=bb4ba4c63b94fe1f30e256e42c8d34e9

I'd like to get one for myself. The intent is simply to get feedback every so often regarding the pressure used, not to try to force myself to gradually use less pressure via the device.

However, it is kind of expensive. $64 + $35 shipping? Is there any place with a better price?

I could get the Warburten version for $55 on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Warburton-A-p-e-Anti-pressure-Exerciser-for-Trumpet-Ape/1758483394?iid=132681906317&chn=ps

The question is, does it work well? I just want to make sure I can compare the pressure I use compared to other players without too much trouble.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece pressure adapters Reply with quote

Blackquill wrote:
Hi,

I borrowed this nitfy device from my friend:

https://www.thomannmusic.com/stoelzel_methodischer_uebungsadapter_trp.htm?sid=bb4ba4c63b94fe1f30e256e42c8d34e9

I'd like to get one for myself. The intent is simply to get feedback every so often regarding the pressure used, not to try to force myself to gradually use less pressure via the device.

However, it is kind of expensive. $64 + $35 shipping? Is there any place with a better price?

I could get the Warburten version for $55 on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Warburton-A-p-e-Anti-pressure-Exerciser-for-Trumpet-Ape/1758483394?iid=132681906317&chn=ps

The question is, does it work well? I just want to make sure I can compare the pressure I use compared to other players without too much trouble.

Why compare yourself to others if you have no intentions of changing? I could see high schoolers doing so, but perhaps there is something else that is worth spending 50 bucks on.
Blackquill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I am experimenting on a major (but subtle) playing change. In particular, I am trying to change my playing from a feel of "blowing" to a feel of "sighing". It feels like the mouthpiece pressure gets reduced when I've tried this the past couple of days. But I want the actual device to verify with to see if that is actually the case. If it does, it would make me feel a LOT better about this change of playing.

It the pressure does NOT get reduced, though, then I will most likely go back to where I was and don't try the "sighing" approach again until I find a teacher that is specialized enough to help me out.

I don't normally experiment with things, but I'm pretty sure I have major inefficiencies in my playing because of blowing too hard.
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackquill wrote:
Actually, I am experimenting on a major (but subtle) playing change. In particular, I am trying to change my playing from a feel of "blowing" to a feel of "sighing". It feels like the mouthpiece pressure gets reduced when I've tried this the past couple of days. But I want the actual device to verify with to see if that is actually the case. If it does, it would make me feel a LOT better about this change of playing.

It the pressure does NOT get reduced, though, then I will most likely go back to where I was and don't try the "sighing" approach again until I find a teacher that is specialized enough to help me out.

I don't normally experiment with things, but I'm pretty sure I have major inefficiencies in my playing because of blowing too hard.

Hi,

The 'sighing' idea is sound. This helps to avoid throat tension and promotes an efficient, unforced approach.

My advice would be not to get hung up on the mouthpiece pressure. The internal mechanics are much more important and you should be able to judge for yourself whether the pressure applied by your left arm is sustainable or not.

Mouthpiece pressure is a part of playing, and is a necessity to maintain a seal around the mouthpiece. All pros use a degree of mouthpiece pressure and I would ask, have you ever heard a 'self proclaimed youtube trumpet hero' claiming to demonstrate 'high notes with no mouthpiece pressure at all' who actually makes an acceptable quality of sound?

As long as the mouthpiece pressure is not so severe that your lips are being cut to bits or the sound is being cut off, it is definitely not worth focusing on. The focus should be on (as with your sighing idea) an efficient internal system and a relaxed approach in your body and face.

My personal opinion on these devices is that they are completely useless and merely designed to exploit the amateur market with a nonsense 'the less pressure you use the better' challenge, which really has little relevance to quality trumpet playing. (Before someone jumps in; no I'm not suggesting that using lots of mouthpiece pressure is a particularly good thing, I'm just saying that it is only a small part of a big system and many people place far too much emphasis on it and miss the real reasons for their problems).

I would put forward the following names as examples of legendary players who display a clear degree of mouthpiece pressure (in all honesty you could name any successful professional, but here are some that stand out to me):

-Allen Vizzutti
-Louis Dowdeswell
-Wayne Bergeron
-Maurice Andre
-Ryan Kisor
-Philip Cobb
-Doc Severinson
-Maurice Murphy
-Derek Watkins
-Jon Faddis!!!
-Malcolm Mcnab

I hope this is useful, supportive and can help add to the discussion!

All the best
lambchop

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the Warburton APE and did not find it very useful since the spring seemed to be quite high in tension. It seemed that anyone that used that much tension would be in rough shape. The cornet version also does not fit Reynolds or King mouthpieces, even though it would have if they made it a hair longer. It would take a trumpet mouthpiece OK with a shallow but useable depth.
Since mouthpiece pressure is rather relative, it is hard to know how much is too much. I had an embouchure which used too much pressure. Now after a lesson with Larry Meregillano it has changed a lot for the better and uses less pressure. I think if you have the right embouchure, you will use less pressure, but it may not help to just try and practice with less pressure.
Blackquill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... I got an APE, anyway. Is it adjustable? From what I can find, it's not. In its default setting (if it's even adjustable), this thing seems way more lenient than the other mp pressure adapter I borrowed from my friend. I can cover the entire range easily. Looks like you were correct about the spring's high tension, lambchop. From this point on it's just a hunk of junk, so I guess I'll just return it....
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OPS is adjustable. You have to open it & then remove different sized plastic rings.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvBORXU-J6A&t=6s

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Blackquill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. So it's either $125 for the OPS or $100 for the A&S. Eep.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: