• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Martin Committee Leadpipe Replacement?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seinman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about to have a recently purchased 1945 Comiittee overhauled. It looks as if I have red rot in the leadpipe. What suggestions would Committee experts offer for a replacement leadpipe. I suspect it will be nearly impossible to get a vintage Committee leadpipe, so what is the next best alternative that will preserve that unique sound?

BTW I am still looking for a vintage Committee body for a bell I have, if anyone knows of one.

Thanks.
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to ask Roy Lawler about it. He may or may not sell you a pipe, but it's worth a shot, and it'll probably be a very education inquiry. His new lawler Committee design is supposed to be an improvement on the old horn, while still preserving the sound and feel many have grown to love.
Bowtie_SBC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call Daniel Oberloh, at Oberloh Woodwind & Brass Works(Seatlle,Washington). He has replaced 2 leadpipes on Vintage Committees for my family. Did a great job on total restorations, and applies the original (nitrous celulous) lacquer.
http://www.oberloh.com/

Dan is very easy to talk to and will answer all your questions.

Conn Connstellation 38B
Jupiter Tribune
Jupiter 846S Flugelhorn
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find a leadpipe you think is fantastic for it (and I'm sure this is possible, there are so many people making leadpipes at the moment) and you need a repairman in the UK, I can wholeheartedly recommend Will Spencer - http://www.willspencer.org - replaced the leadpipe on my Yamaha, the only way anyone noticed a change was the improvement in my playing - they all assumed I had been practising - fools!!
Seinman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, any more ideas?
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time ago I bought a used LeBlanc Martin Committee and had Osmun Music replace the bell with one of the pre-LeBlanc Martin bells that Osmun bought up back when Martin changed hands.

During the process, I had an interesting conversation with the brass technician at Osmun. According to him, although many aspects of the LeBlanc Committee differ greatly from the original horn, Leblanc still uses the correct leadpipe design. The only switch they made was to use the large bore leadpipe design on their ML (.460) bore horn, and the medium bore leadpipe on their large (.465) bore horn.

If this is all correct, and you have a medium (.453) bore Martin, you could order the LeBlanc Martin Committee leadpipe for their .465 bore horn, and it should be identical to the one used on your horn.

One word of caution: It looks like LeBlanc redesigned their Committee model recently (it now has a different bell, a standard 1st valve slide thumb saddle, and a soldered-on third valve slide ring, as well as a third valve slide stop like a Bach Strad). Because of this, you might want to verify that the leadpipe is unchanged.

Hope this helps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: