• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Another trumpet teacher thread (this time, in San Diego)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nullifidian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing for a couple of years, after having gotten back into things after a nine-month break while I changed my major, but previously I had been taking music lessons all throughout high school and up into college. Unfortunately, I've been playing the last couple of years without a teacher, and I'd like to get back into taking lessons and getting out of various bad habits which no doubt have crept into my playing in the last two years. My previous trumpet teacher is a masterful jazz/salsa trumpeter, but the problem with that was that I am not. I am not interested in playing jazz trumpet, even though I love listening to jazz, and he kept on trying to give me lessons and exercises designed to focus on jazz playing specifically. My interest is in classical performance, just classical performance, and I'm also interested in 20th century and 21st century classical. Does anyone know of a good teacher in San Diego willing to take a--let's say--intermediate student and teach him classical trumpet techniques, and (this would be a plus) the extended techniques featured in modern classical music performance?
RNelson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Charlie Lauer, my old teacher, also taught Ryan Anthony (Canadian Brass), and Mike Walk (Tucson Symphony).

Great fundamentals guy and knows the literature.

Ray
http://www.raynelson.net
freaklip
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try Calvin Price. He was my teacher in Philly 25 years ago. Check out his bio at http://www.calvinprice.com.
Nullifidian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your recommendations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: