• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Commercial horns with easiest projection?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
... There are no miracle trumpets and no miracle mouthpieces....

WHAT?! Wait...what about my 2.5-year horn safari, ending in a custom Eclipse Celeste CLS with a reverse leadpipe and trigger to the main slide (which arrives this week, btw...wink, wink)?! I am soooo disillusioned. Ugh. I mean, whoever came up with this "horn safari" business, anyway?! I have been duped...again! Argh!!!!
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,

you're playing the Z for 25 years, maybe it's time to check if it's still ok.
Mine is 17 years old, and for the last 6 months, i had resistance, accuracy problems with it, and searched for mpcs combinations, different way of practicing... til i had the conviction that the probs came from the horn (all was ok with mpc buzzing, and leadpipe playing).

Last week, i invited my teacher Bobby Shew for a masterclass and bg band concert here, and my regret is that i hadn't asked him before the concert to tweak the horn...
Bobby made a miracle ! the horn is really free blowing and plays like never before, unbelievable !!!
i tried the new 8310Z before Bobby tweaked the exemplar we had at the local shop, it was way better than my 6310, and now is still better

Try to send your horn to Bobby for a tweak, you'll not tegret it !

best
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or a visit to Bob Malone...
Beaker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
LSOfanboy wrote:
Hi,

I am aware this is probably not the answer you want to hear, but an instrument is a relatively small part of the overall equation and, in my opinion, the whole premise of this thread is slightly typical of us trumpet players (I am as guilty as anyone, although experience has gradually softened my persistent longing to find the perfect equipment) forming this idea that somewhere out there is a trumpet that will drastically change and improve our playing experience, when realistically the difference is always disappointingly subtle.

I understand your thought process, you want to find a lighter and brighter trumpet with a sound that is quicker to 'break up' (by break up I mean move to sizzlingly brightness) as opposed to a trumpet which maintains a round sound even when pushed. And yes, this will improve your experience, by about 5% I would imagine.

If you have the cash to spare, then by all means go and buy a new trumpet, any of the suggestions are good. Really you need to find whatever suits you best- many brands produce 'commercially orientated' trumpets and everyone has a slightly different opinion on which is their favourite. Go and try some of the lightweight Yamahas (LA and Z models), Schilkes (B series probably best), Bach Commercial/Strads (lots of the UK commercial players are on these instruments now), Shires have some lovely lightweight instruments, or any of the others suggested above. Be aware though, its an individual thing and don't get too hung up on one poster telling you 'x instrument is by far the best' because, as has been pointed out, unless you know how that player sounds, plays and thinks, that information isn't very useful. Try the instruments and decide for yourself.

The larger issue here though is finding some ways to develop your resonance and efficiency through some new practice methods. This will make a far greater difference to your playing (as I say- I would suggest that 85% of your 'sound quality' comes from your production, efficiency and resonance, whilst the remaining 15% can be altered by equipment (both mouthpiece and trumpet)). If, and you are by no means obligated to take me up on this, you want any advice or ideas please feel free to private message me.

Hope this can add to the discussion.

All the best

I think these are accurate observations/conclusions. There are no miracle trumpets and no miracle mouthpieces. A horn or mouthpiece can color/filter the sound to some extent but by and large the sound you get out of a horn or mouthpiece is the sound you put in. No horn or mouthpiece can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

You need to keep your expectations reasonable in terms of how much a horn or mouthpiece can affect your sound. No matter the horn or mouthpiece, at the end of the day it's still your own individual foundational sound coming out of them.

I play in a concert band with about a dozen other trumpet players. A number of members have switched horns and pretty much across the board they still sound like themselves. In other words the difference in their sound due to the horn was much smaller than the difference between their sound with any of their trumpets and someone else's sound.
Flatiron mandolin, Strat/Tele/LP electrics
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: