• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Commercial horns with easiest projection?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chip crotts

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Commercial horns with easiest projection? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm interested to hear what horns you've played that seem to have the easiest acoustic projection for most commercial/big band type applications. I'm at a point in my career and age that I'm focusing more on "bang for the buck" with sound and trying to find the sweet spot where I'm comfortable dynamically, but getting the most projection out of my horn.

I've been playing my Yamaha 6310Z off and on for almost 25 years, but as I've recently fully recovered from Bell's Palsy, I'm working on even more efficiency. I've come back stronger in many ways this time around, but as I'm also recording myself more these days, I just don't quite feel that the Z "sparkles" enough without having to lean into it more than I'd like. I want to be able to sit back and coast and let the projection do more of the work now.

I've been thinking about trying other horns such as Schilke Faddis, Jupiter Ingram, Bach Commercial, Callet, Calicchio, Benge and also a few lightweight Shires. I'm comfortable with most bore sizes from M to ML, so I'm open to all suggestions and appreciate your insight.

Best acoustic projection and sound with moderate amount of work, GO!
Trumpetmannj

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The z horn is probably easiest to play, rogers horn is his interpretation of a z Horn, I like the benge 3x for sound to effort ratio. Also the schilke b6
Conn 38b
Holton 48
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are all worth a try, if you can manage that.

But IMO, there are 2 "must try"s the Bach Commercial and Shires Destino III.

Love my Bach. It has that warmth of a Bach with a lightness, and great feedback (easy to hear what you're doing) and you can light it up if you want. Even though it says Large Bore, it does not play or feel large. I've had nothing but positive response from audience and fellow musicians.

And the Destino III's that I've played are marvelous trumpets. Sparkle and shine in the sound, even from top to bottom and a breeze to play. Just a step up in $$$
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Lee Adams
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Callet Jazz LT and Studio Artist Models Reply with quote

While the Callet "Jazz" is well known for responsiveness and projection.
The Callet "Jazz" Gen II introduced in 2017 has refinements that have further enhanced the response and resonance of this great horn. With various lead pipe venturi and main tuning slide options to suit a wide variety of player preferences!

The new Callet "Jazz" LT also intoduced in 2017 has a lighter gauge bell and lead/commercial guys are really liking them!

Last but not least the Studio Artist model and Studio Artist LT are very efficient horns to consider!

I have all models available for trial here in the Atlanta area. Lets get together!

Here are some guys diggin the Jazz LT and Studio Artist LT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBtm5uaePT8[b][/b

www.callet.com
"Horns that won't hold you back"

https://www.facebook.com/Calletcom-Custom-Trumpets-170821893321793/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQRrMWOw5rYV8p2_y5aO9Rg?view_as=subscriber

Last edited by Lee Adams on Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:30 am; edited 2 times in total
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Conn 40B projects more than any other tpt I've ever played. With the heavy brass bell, heavy valve casings, and added mass on the main tuning slide and the 3rd valve slide, it really throws the sound forward. I love it in loud rock bands. But in a concert band setting I don't get enough feedback from the horn to hear myself. (I have significant hearing loss) Not getting feedback makes it very hard to play in tune, blend, etc.
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a retired U.S. Navy musician and bandmaster whose background has been mostly legit and BQ playing. I am now in position where I play a lot of shows and the best horn for me in commercial situations is the Yamaha 20th Anniversary Xeno. My natural sound leans towards the "woofie" side; with my custom Schilke piccolo mouthpiece made by Scott Laskey in the 80s and a GR #41 adapter, I have a fairly easy and accurate high end (disclaimer; I top out at g/g#), while being able to produce an acceptably warm sound when required. I just finished a month-long run of Newsies, which has a lot of exposed playing that hangs in the upper register for pages at a time. I was able to make it through the show and end the evening feeling pretty strong. A trombone player whose opinion I respect says "the gold Yamaha sounds the best." He's heard me play on a Monette, Bachs, a vintage King Silver Flair, a Benge 3X+, a Schilke B1B, and a Shires Model A...

Now I don't play Wayne-style lead, but I think for all-around commercial work, the combination of the reversed lead pipe, the traditional placement of the forward bell brace, and the larger bell are a unique and efficient combination.

HTH; cheers,

Ben
gchun01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the Stomvi VRaptor/VRII does exactly what you asked. It speaks very quickly with minimal air and effort. The sound is rich and the intonation is great.

It has the most projection of all my horns. (Schilke S42, Calicchio 1s/2)
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Commercial horns with easiest projection? Reply with quote

chip crotts wrote:
Hi All,

I'm interested to hear what horns you've played that seem to have the easiest acoustic projection for most commercial/big band type applications. I'm at a point in my career and age that I'm focusing more on "bang for the buck" with sound and trying to find the sweet spot where I'm comfortable dynamically, but getting the most projection out of my horn.

I've been playing my Yamaha 6310Z off and on for almost 25 years, but as I've recently fully recovered from Bell's Palsy, I'm working on even more efficiency. I've come back stronger in many ways this time around, but as I'm also recording myself more these days, I just don't quite feel that the Z "sparkles" enough without having to lean into it more than I'd like. I want to be able to sit back and coast and let the projection do more of the work now.

I've been thinking about trying other horns such as Schilke Faddis, Jupiter Ingram, Bach Commercial, Callet, Calicchio, Benge and also a few lightweight Shires. I'm comfortable with most bore sizes from M to ML, so I'm open to all suggestions and appreciate your insight.

I recently sold my mint condition Bach LT190 1B Commercial (ML). Reason was I just couldn´t master it higher up - too little resistance I thought, accustomed to my old King as I am, also playing cornet. But: I put the horn in the hands of a very seasoned pro, and boy - what a magnificient sound, crystal clear projection, real sizzle up high, big tone in the lower register (that I succeeded in ) open bright yet warm! Much bigger sound than his usual horn (Bach Artisan). And my buyer got overwhelmed by the fantastic projection and maintains it is very easily driven. So test one. Maybe it is the perfect fit!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the 8310Z? It does play differently than the 6310Z.

You asked about projection not feedback. The 8310Z that I play has both.

Good luck!

Pete
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my favorites:

Benge 2x+, 3x, and 5x
Yamaha 8335 LA
Calicchio 1s2
Kanstul Chicago MLP
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selmer Claude Gordon (CG) model
Benge CG
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanstul 1601

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Commercial horns with easiest projection? Reply with quote

chip crotts wrote:
Hi All,

Getzen Eterna 900 Classic
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer to your question for me is Lawler TL5 horn. Not easy to find one now that Lawler stopped making them.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experiences over the years, the Selmer Claude Gordon and the Yamaha 8310Z were the "easiest" trumpets to perform on.
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't go wrong with Schilke. S42 projects like a cannon, but it can have a little less feedback than other models (it's pretty focused). S32 gives you a slightly larger core while retaining good efficiency. B6 is another good option.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had an operation on my lungs as well as two strokes that affected my breathing and I have no problem with any of the trumpets I have.

May not give you the tone you're seeking, but I also had a Getzen Severinsen with which I also had no problem.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Trumpets with pizazz Reply with quote

Not as well known as the "big" names in the industry, the Scodwell USA was designed for precisely those reasons cited. Maximum vibrance, intentional player feed back and projection that has been proven in a scientific evaluation.
The "Standard" model often referred to as "The Las Vegas" model is the choice of some very fine lead players in the Las Vegas showrooms and surprisingly some principal players in orchestras have chosen this model as well. I designed the "Boston" model after feedback from a group of the finest studio players in LA saying they preferred a "rounder" sound quality for the work that they do. That said, the "Boston" model was chosen by the trumpet player in one of the most famous horn sections of all, Earth Wind and Fire prior to the groups signing with Eastman. A look at the YouTube videos called "Tony Scodwell building trumpets, part one and two will give you more details on what goes into the instruments I build. My website is worth a look as well.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What always puzzles me with threads like this one is the method to handle all this information. My roughly counting gives about 32 different recommendations. My experience with threads like this is that another week will at least double this amount. (mostly these questions top off at 60 to 80 answers). And all recommendations seem to be reasonable and to the point.
What to do now? Play them all? (seriously and thoroughly).
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawler TL5-1A
Calicchio 1S2
Getzen Eterna

The Lawler is my favourite but overall the Calicchio is the best commercial horn I ever touch.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: