• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette oopsie :(

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Monette oopsie :( Reply with quote

Asked to try a friends Monette and when he went to hand it to me it slipped through my fingers and fell. It got a fair dent on the rim. Fine and playable, but just not whole and new...I feel super bad about it so I want to do something to reimburse. Is it possible to fix this kind of damage? I’d even go as far as buying him a new one. Any other ideas for what I could do?

Thanks!
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to the Monette people.Tell them your story. They might be able to help. They helped me in a similar situation.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just emailed Monette, thanks very much.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope Monette can help.

I had a similar issue with a friend's prized vintage Committee. I didn't drop it outright, but he has a hinky trumpet stand with detachable legs and if you weren't careful the legs would pull out. I didn't know this prior. Just my luck when I very carefully placed the horn on his stand, it immediately toppled over causing a crease in one of the tubes. Not a good feeling. I felt terrible but he wouldn't consider letting me pursue a repair.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monette responded just saying that they don’t fix dents in the rim:/ Guess I am going to buy a replacement. It does mean I’ll get his old one though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
Monette responded just saying that they don’t fix dents in the rim:/ Guess I am going to buy a replacement. It does mean I’ll get his old one though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The backbores on Monettes are incredibly delicate, but the shop can oftentimes help return the shank end to their original tapers, preserving/restoring the pitch center of the mouthpiece. Unfortunately, the only remedy for a dented/nicked/scratched rim is buffing, which would eliminate plating in the spot in question, while simultaneously creating a small divot in the area of damage.

Monette has the highest quality control imaginable, and they simply won't waste your time attempting a repair on an irreversibly damaged piece of gear. I'm sorry this puts you in a rough position, but keep your eyes open for undamanged used pieces - what size and configuration is/was yr friend's piece?

Best,
-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone else who thought CJceltics33 had unlimited wealth, it is a mouthpiece he's talking about. Not a whole trumpet.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And thus the subforum in which he posted... Not that Monette mouthpieces are cheap!
epoustoufle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, it helps to try EXTRA hard to like stock mouthpieces. There's a quote I read in a book about the British S.A.S and it went something like: you better not get used to Gucci's because when wear out you'll be shipped a pair of army regular size 10's....

If I could suggest - sell the dented Monette.
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback so far.

The Monette was a Monette Resonance Classic B3S3

Will that dent change the way it is played? Will anyone buy it? How much should I sell it for and where?
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
Thanks for the feedback so far.

The Monette was a Monette Resonance Classic B3S3

Will that dent change the way it is played? Will anyone buy it? How much should I sell it for and where?

Monette will tell you that the dent changes the way it plays and so will most people that play on Monette. I've played on Monette equipment for a long time and for the most part, use a repaired mouthpiece. It was dropped on a rug and the shank bent a little at the opening. I straightened it and kept using it. Maybe I'm not a good enough player to tell the difference.

Hard to say what it will sell for. If it were me, I would put it on ebay and take what I got; or just use it.
jhahntpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epoustoufle wrote:
In general, it helps to try EXTRA hard to like stock mouthpieces. There's a quote I read in a book about the British S.A.S and it went something like: you better not get used to Gucci's because when wear out you'll be shipped a pair of army regular size 10's....

If I could suggest - sell the dented Monette.

Bad advice IMO. You shouldn't try to settle for something just because it's cheap. If you can afford to play a Monette mouthpiece and like the way it sounds and plays then just do it. Life is too short to fuss over a few hundred dollars. If something improves your playing and gives you more enjoyment then by all means make the investment. That could be a $50 Bach, it could be a $365 Monette.

It's a piece of metal. It's not going to wear out for YEARS and if you play a Monette, GR, GW, Donat, or any other boutique mouthpiece to the point where it's worn out then it's more than justified the cost of a new one.
Piccolo: Yamaha 9830
Flugel: Yamaha 8315G
Cornet: York Eminence
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I first read your first posts in this thread I thought you were talking about a Monette TRUMPET and I thought WOW what a good and generous person you are to be willing to buy your buddy a new $5000+ trumpet just because of one dent on the bell's rim (and why the heck wouldn't Monette be willing to straighten a little crease on a Bell rim or at worst, replace the bell?!?!).

But then I saw this is in the MOUTHPIECE forum.

Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjYoNL4g5Vg

And why not a full length one to inject a little humor into our day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZLeaSWY37I
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The effect on playability depends on where the dent is and how bad. If its on the outside of the rim and is not deep or large you might be able to rotate to put it out of the way. I have dented some rims and I filled the dents with epoxy, buffed out the epoxy, and never looked back - its such a small part of the rim that its not really noticeable. So for your own use you could also consider that. Lastly you could get someone like Bob Reeves or Jim New to convert to a screw-rim and just put a new rim on it.

If its to sell I would just sell as-is in an eBay auction and let the market decide the value.
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The debt is on the outer rim. I don’t think it touches the lips. Hopefully it didn’t change anything...I think I am going to go ahead and order the B3S3 Resonance from anywhere that has it in stock, then I’ll take the old one and try it. If I still like it more than my Curry after a month, I’ll sell it and by a new one for myself 😃
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
The debt is on the outer rim. I don’t think it touches the lips. Hopefully it didn’t change anything...I think I am going to go ahead and order the B3S3 Resonance from anywhere that has it in stock, then I’ll take the old one and try it. If I still like it more than my Curry after a month, I’ll sell it and by a new one for myself 😃

Shouldn't affect the playability in the slightest...although as someone else mentioned, that's likely not what the folks at Monette would tell you.

You're a solid friend for offering to pay for a new one. If you like it, keep it; if you don't, sell it, and you will probably recoup most of your $$$. One benefit of boutique mouthpieces, like camera lenses, is that they tend to hold resale value for quite a while.

johnlakejazz.com
jojocat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetjaguar wrote:
For anyone else who thought CJceltics33 had unlimited wealth, it is a mouthpiece he's talking about. Not a whole trumpet.

Thanks, that wasn't clear to me. And I was surprised Monette can't fix it....

Martin Committee trumpet
Yamaha 6335H
Yamaha 6320
Accent 781
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like it, keep it and clock it so the damage is at 3 or 9 o'clock. That way it won't interfere at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: