• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Am I doing this correctly...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pandawee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Am I doing this correctly...? Reply with quote

So, I am a highschool trumpet player in my senior year, and I have always had a problem getting out higher notes on the trumpet; notably the 1st A above the staff. 2 players lower than I can easily do it without any problem, and they're no means "better" than I am- I do practice lip slurs and such a lot (I bought the Bai Lin lip flexibilities for brass book to help). I thought that perhaps I was placing my mouth on the mouthpiece incorrectly, so I attempted some different positions, and discovered that if I position my lips in the upper quarter of the mouthpiece and blow, I can reach notes I've never even imagined hitting until college (2nd C above MC and above). Is this the correct way to play in the upper register? And if so, how can I hit those notes without making them sound terrible (besides practice, because I'll definitely do that). I currently use a Bach megatone 1/2C trumpet mouthpiece, if that makes any difference in someone's evaluation.

Thank you
Sharkbaitboi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t change your mouthpiece. That’s not the problem
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was a roaring double C, then go ahead and change. If it wasn’t really a note, DO NOT change the position.

I once played like that and it killed my tone, endurance, and range. Yes, my high note embouchure couldn’t even get out high notes as well as others. I am in the process of changing my embouchure to about half and half and it has taken many frustrating months of relearning the trumpet.

Sometimes trumpet players think that higher notes=better player, but that is not the case. Improvement should not be measured through range.

I spent too much time thinking range was my weakest area. I tried everything under the sun to try and play the next note up there. But all I did was hurt my chops, weaken my embouchure, and waste time and money.

The best advice I can give you is this: don’t seek range or practice for range. Practice your scales, your Arban and Clarke, and your eludes and school pieces. If you do all of that, it will turn you into a more efficient player. Then, and finally then, range will come. I promise it will.

Oh also, a teacher would really help iron out whatever issue it may be! Seriously! But I know you know that.

Best of luck to you!
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is this the correct way to play in the upper register?

For some folks this the mouthpiece position you seem to be describing is correct. For others, it will not work at all. Everyone has a different face and everyone has a different embouchure.

Without being able to watch you play, no one here can really say for certain if what you're doing is going to work long term or be counter-productive, but I'd experiment some with it and see what happens. Try playing your entire range with that placement. Practice starting as high as you can play and descending. It will probably sound pinched and thin as you descend at first, that's common for an embouchure correction that fits what you seem to be describing (again, I'm guessing because I haven't seen how you're playing). If this is correct for you, over time you will get the knack for opening up the middle and lower register with the same setting as you can play in the upper register.

Dave
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
If it was a roaring double C, then go ahead and change. If it wasn’t really a note, DO NOT change the position.

I once played like that and it killed my tone, endurance, and range. Yes, my high note embouchure couldn’t even get out high notes as well as others. I am in the process of changing my embouchure to about half and half and it has taken many frustrating months of relearning the trumpet.

Sometimes trumpet players think that higher notes=better player, but that is not the case. Improvement should not be measured through range.

I spent too much time thinking range was my weakest area. I tried everything under the sun to try and play the next note up there. But all I did was hurt my chops, weaken my embouchure, and waste time and money.

The best advice I can give you is this: don’t seek range or practice for range. Practice your scales, your Arban and Clarke, and your eludes and school pieces. If you do all of that, it will turn you into a more efficient player. Then, and finally then, range will come. I promise it will.

Oh also, a teacher would really help iron out whatever issue it may be! Seriously! But I know you know that.

Best of luck to you!

Hi,

No intention of causing any offence or confrontation here, but (as your post also suggests) am I not correct in saying you are a (high school?) student who is experiencing a number of playing issues and has asked mutliple questions on these very forums about how to try and resolve your issues?

With the greatest respect, are you really enough of a player to be giving other players (who, quite possibly, are no worse than yourself) such definitive advice?

Its fantastic that you are so keen about the trumpet and its pedagogy, I was exactly the same when I was younger, but I personally think you should be a little slower to start taking the mantle of teacher until you have found some sustained solidity in your own playing. Enthusiasm is not comparable to knowledge, experience and actually possessing the ability you want to give to others.

Don't want to patronise or cause upset, but I think its a point that should be made.

All the best
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP:

It is always good to experiment. Utilising the lips in different ways obviously yields different results.

Be careful not to stray too far from your usual set-up until you know that you can find consistency in what you are moving to.

It is also worth discussing this with your teacher.

All the best
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Am I doing this correctly...? Reply with quote

pandawee wrote:
Is this the correct way to play in the upper register? And if so, how can I hit those notes without making them sound terrible (besides practice, because I'll definitely do that). I currently use a Bach megatone 1/2C trumpet mouthpiece, if that makes any difference in someone's evaluation.

Thank you

To the OP.

You have heard the comment about getting a teacher. Do it. Then you will have face to face assistance, rather than hoping some anonymous person here will fix things for you. If you need $$$ - get a part time job. But get the teacher!

In any case, you have described a change which provides you with high notes, but ALSO want to know how to get the notes so they don't 'sound terrible'. This makes it appear that this manner of playing does NOT work well - sounds terrible!

There is only one way too get things sounding good - sensible, meaningful practice. If you are not sure how to go about this, you must go back to my first comment above.

If you can find someone who says you need only the shortcut, or the 'secret', then you will have most likely found someone who is not going to help you at all. For now, just go back to the practice room and work on what you find you are weak at. High notes? Practice into the high register repeatedly. Tonguing? Practice it (I did yesterday while cooking dinner) Just don't give up and DO get face to face help.

cheers

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: