• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

B.A.C. Hollywood Artist Vs. CarolBrass CTR-50000L-YLT-BG

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which horn should I get?
B.A.C. Hollywood Artist
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
CarolBrass CTR-5000L-YLT-BG Blackhawk
58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 12

Phynomtrumpet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: B.A.C. Hollywood Artist Vs. CarolBrass CTR-50000L-YLT-BG Reply with quote

Okay, I am ready to finally make a purchase; however, I have narrowed it down to two horns, as indicated in the title. I do not have the opportunity to play, hence the reason for this post, and hopefully, this post may help others seeking similar advice. So, with that being said, need I even ask at this point, but which one would you recommend and why?

I am leaning toward the CarolBrass because it has an additional tuning slide, I love the color, which may have an effect on the sound, and finally, the price. Not much cheaper, but enoug for a Harrelson mouthpiece kit (no gawks...my mind is made). The B.A.C. though is also a gorgeous horn. I do not currently play in any ensemble, so the horn for now will primarily be for my own personal enjoyment, when I will eventually share in some community band or even school. I will supply the websites for each horn below. Alright, on your marks, get set, GO!!!

https://www.samash.com/trumpets/carolbrass-ctr-5000l-ylt-bg-blackhawk-trumpet-ctrblackh

https://www.samash.com/trumpets/hollywood-model-artist-series-trumpet-bactrhwxx-p
steevo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy the one that works for you the best.

No one's opinion besides yours matter.

You do you.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where possible...

1) Don't buy blind - play them.

2) Don't let aesthetics/finishes overrule playing characteristics - pick the best player, if it's available in a funky finish you happen to like then so be it... bear in mind also that a particularly striking finish (like the black) can look awful if you wind up with a few chips in the lacquer, much moreso than a plain clear-lacquer would.
(Also, don't expect night and day differences in sound - there are very subtle differences between certain lacquers and silverplate finishes, but this doesn't vary with the colour of the lacquer, and it's a subtle enough difference to be secondary).

3) If budget concerns are what's pushing you to buy blind online, seriously consider local and used instead - unless you pay over the odds, your used horn won't lose any value while you save up for a new one (if you decide you want to).
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
Where possible...

1) Don't buy blind - play them.

+1

Anyway the 5000 is a very good "commercial" horn with an honest price but don't be fooled by the finish, imho a lacquer or silver version plays a little better.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
NevadaBigHorn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Carol Brass 5000 is my main horn. I think it's terrific and stands up very well against horns 2,3 even 4 times the price. I had the Blackhawk version but the finish began wearing off at the contact points after 1 year. They swapped it for a silver version which I've been very happy with. No changes in sound to my ear.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned, try not to be overly influenced by cosmetics, I have a couple of ugly horns that play very well.

Brad
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen a BAC horn, but I have that Carol horn in lacquer. It's a great horn, not just for the money. I don't think the black finish holds up, though. They have a nice satin finish I'd get if I was looking for another.
Def Trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was going to buy simply based on these criteria I would go with the B.A.C. Made in Kansas City by Mike Corrigan who seems like a great guy to get behind. His horns sound great online and seem to be made with care and an artful sense of tradition.

Carol Brass also seem like well made horns that players dig. I would just favor the smaller craftsman based on your choices.
ACB 3CS
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not going to try them, just flip a coin.

No one can tell which horn will work for you and which one won't. Seriously.
Go read the Schilke Loyalist where he describes how he loves a Schilke B1 and his daughter a B5. They're both terrific horns but very different from one another.

You can get 100 players telling you why they love one of your finalist horns and you can 100 players telling you why they love the other. How can anyone tell you which one you'll love?
Phynomtrumpet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't have either horn in the store; however, they will be shipping the CarolBrass down, since that is one I have decided to go with. I hope I like this horn. The good thing is I don't have to buy it if I try it and don't like it. I really appreciate all the advice and recommendations from everyone here. Shout out to Locustus2k, BGinNJ and NevadaBigHorn for your invaluable feedback. Since I will more than likely be purchasing this horn, I will post some videos of me playing the darn thing on YouTube under Phynomeagle. I'll include a link in this thread as well. The purpose for keeping this thread going is to provide my personal feedback for the horn that may serve others, as others have done for me. So, again, thanks a lot.

And I'll note, this will be my entry-level pro horn until I am ready to purchase a Lotus…
ComeBackTumpet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three trumpets, Benge CG, Yamaha Xeno and Bach37. The biggest difference (that I can tell) between them are weight and valve action.

I looked at the Blackhawk. It is a beauty. I hope you enjoy it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: