• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

mouthpiece buzzing as a warmup

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: mouthpiece buzzing as a warmup Reply with quote

this has been effective and fun for me. your opinions either way.
brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have liked it in the past. These days, I find it tires out my lips too much, a bit like using the PETE device for a warmup.
Wick 2BFL
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well. i find it useful done for a short duration, and not forcing things in the upper register.
it's all a matter of dose. both the buzz and some pedal register get the lips working. i'm sure there are those who can expand on this.
mfisher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's great to get everything loose and moving. I typically buzz some kind of long tone exercise, a couple sirens, and a song- no more than a minute of buzzing total. I do the same with my students, as it's also a good tool for practicing pitch matching and a bit of aural skills.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do that before every gig. More often than not, there’s no place to go warm up without disturbing either club patrons or private event guests (and appearing very unprofessional), easy buzzing works for me, combined with limiting the triple C’s until the second or third song.😉

Brad
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a limited basis. For me, just a way of getting or staying loose.
Additionally, I think that many who buzz a lot are buzzing with a tone that is not like what is done when you play the trumpet-because of the difference in resistance and trying to create a focussed tone. A good mouthpiece tone should be a bit wispy/airy.

IMO too much buzzing on the mouthpiece alone is practicing on something different - I need all the time I can manage practicing the trumpet not splitting that time with doing something that is marginally helpful and somewhat dissimilar.
Retired Air Force Bandsman

Last edited by zaferis on Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it at the beginning of my playing session primarily to get a good, consistent buzz going and to focus the sound. And that's it. not long, but concentrated.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it works for you, fine. But I wouldn't advise it.
Dan in Sydney
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a tip for you guys--
Get hold of a Bach mouthpiece receiver--can be had from mpc express for just a few bucks and keep it in your mouthpiece pouch. I use this with the mouthpiece to warm up my chops just for a few minutes. It adds that tiny bit of resistance and focus and just makes buzzing a bit more satifsfying pitch-wise. Sort of like one of the original metal berps.
Works for me, anyway.
Bach Artist and Clinician, Soloist
http://www.conn-selmer.com/en-us/artist-information/centerstage/artist-roster/daniel-mendelow/
Dark Knight

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: I like it Reply with quote

I warm up with a tuba mp. to get the blood flowing, get used to using a lot of air, break in the embouchure tissues. Then, I will buzz one of the Clarke II exercises. Great what to get entered and pitch train, too.

DK
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan in Sydney wrote:
Get hold of a Bach mouthpiece receiver--can be had from mpc express for just a few bucks and keep it in your mouthpiece pouch. I use this with the mouthpiece to warm up my chops just for a few minutes. It adds that tiny bit of resistance and focus and just makes buzzing a bit more satifsfying pitch-wise. Sort of like one of the original metal berps.
Works for me, anyway.

that's how lex luthor buzzes his warmup.
thanks for the tip.
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it in the car on the way to the theater. To add some resistance I cupped my hand around the end of the mouthpiece shank.

But buzzing too loudly or too much can be a chop buster. Don't ask me how I know this!
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stamp certainly had no problems with mouthpiece alone.

I've been using the standard Stamp warm up for a few years now, which begins with mouthpiece alone. (Actually, lips alone first for a short bit) Having the same standard each day gives me some feedback as to how tight/loose I am from the previous sessions and where I need to concentrate to get me back to optimum. Using the BIM Stamp edition also includes CD for both Bb and C so you can work on bringing your pitch down as you ascend.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found mouthpiece buzzing very useful and helpful.

It was a required part of my practice sessions when I took lessons years ago.

There's a little buzzing exercise at the bottom of the Introductory Notes page of the Schlossberg Daily Drills and Technical Studies book.

I have used that exercise for years.
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I use it at the beginning of my playing session primarily to get a good, consistent buzz going and to focus the sound. And that's it. not long, but concentrated.

I have recently revisited James Thompson's 'The Buzzing Book' using the exercises as a warm-up mainly 1 to 5. It works well and I have also introduced it to my students with great results. It focuses the sound and is not too strenuous.
BPL
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of buzzing scares the heck out of me! Especially as a warm up before a gig.
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan in Sydney wrote:
Works for me, anyway.

If that's what you're looking for, what we did 30+ years ago was to use a short section of clear, plastic hose from the hardware store. I had one piece that was the length of a leadpipe and one that was very much shorter (like a BERP).

Doing a similar thing with Boba straws, now.

-Denny
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: mouthpiece buzzing as a warmup Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
this has been effective and fun for me. your opinions either way.

It was part of what worked for me when I was leading a double life for a few years playing commercial lead and major legit on radically different equipment. Mid-, low, and pedal more than high,

I started working out of the Thompson book a couple of years ago but felt that my sound was being negatively affected.

I used to do sirens on my mpc to break things loose, but not since adding didgeridoo as part of my regimen -- see below.

I do a slight bit of mpc buzzing with students for basic ear training, not lip training, per se.

Someone mentioned using a tuba piece. I used to double on bass tbn and have a couple of mpcs around that I would use as part of a warm up but have been benefiting tremendously from some drone work with a Home Depot didgeridoo, recently -- Thanks, Pops!!

But, to address the original post -- I've stopped doing pitch-based mpc buzzing in favor of Greg Spence's (picked up by Jim Manley) open-aperture, mouthpiece/leadpipe approach.

I've linked some of Greg's videos in other posts.

Billy B linked a video of himself teaching no-buzz tone production.

There are tremendous players and teachers who advocate mpc buzzing, so it can't be said that it can't work, but is it the best?

-Denny
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gstump wrote:
I did it in the car on the way to the theater. To add some resistance I cupped my hand around the end of the mouthpiece shank.

Let's see. One hand on the rim holder, one hand cupping the mouthpiece and . . . on the steering wheel?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Dave CCM/SSO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm a fan of mouthpiece buzzing. I start each day with a few minutes and I have my students buzz as well. I find that the simplicity of buzzing on the mouthpiece allows us to get things working correctly before we go to the horn. We can focus on the basics of making a sound without worrying about the horn at all.

I am personally looking for a free and easy buzz that sounds focused and clear. I stay in the middle register and extend down. I do very little buzzing in the upper register.

I like Dave Bilger's approach very much. He has a nice youtube video explaining his ideas: Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG-bM25GBps

I've also used the first 4 exercises of the "Buzzing Basics" on and off for the last 10 years or so. I have never done much past those first 4.

There are quite a few major pros that have found mouthpiece buzzing beneficial. Dave Bilger, Chris Martin, Vince Cichowicz, Phil Collins, and Bud Herseth are just a few that come to mind.

Best of luck!!

Dave

Springfield Symphony Orchestra (OH)
- www.springfieldsym.org
Seven Hills Brass
- http://www.facebook.com/sevenhillsbrass
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: