• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Summer music camps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bradcl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's early but could any of you recommend an advanced summer camp. I'm 16 in 10th grade and I would really like to progress my playing in the summer. Any personal experiences of these camps would give me an idea what they are like, and if you know how to audition or what kind of audition music they want would help out alot.
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're into jazz, there's no better place to go than Maine Jazz Camp. The faculty is amazing, the interaction great, individualized attention amazing and location beautiful. I went from 87-91 and some of the first years we're my entire private instruction.

For more details you can go to: http://www.mainejazzcamp.com/

Email me to ask me any particular questions you might have.

Best,

Trent
http://www.trentaustin.com
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brevard Music Center is supposed to be a great experience.

http://www.brevardmusic.org/

A lot people attend and they usually have some very well known instructors/conductors.

PS - I have no idea where you live, but Brevard is located in Western North Carolina.
No BS
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interlochen up in Northern Michigan has been for many years the premiere summer music camp for High Schoolers. It's also the most intense- so research heavily before deciding to attend.
_trumpetgod_02
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

FSU also has several summer music camps, for all different types of groups. Get a hold of http://www.music.fsu.edu and look around for lots of cool info.

Nick
bradcl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interlochen looks like a place I would want to go, but does everyone make it? If not, how hard is it to get into it?
Im not really looking for a serious jazz place, I like to play jazz but classical and orchestral stuff is more my thing.
MarkNiehaus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out

http://www.easternmusicfestival.com/
NTlead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh. Not jazz oriented eh?

Birch Creek in Door Creek Wisconsin has one session of symphony that's pretty hard to get into (can't hurt to try though) and two sessions of jazz that are somewhat easier to get into.

It's a lot of fun and you learn more than you would have thought possible.

BTW, where do you live?

That might help you narrow your decision down significantly
trumpetchad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done Interlochen and Brevard.

Since you're still in High School, I'd recommend Interlochen because you can't go once your in college. When I was at Brevard, the students were mostly college to grad school aged students.
birdland98

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd definitely recommend checking out Brevard. Bill Campbell is the main teacher there, and you would certainly learn a lot about orchestra playing from him. I also know that Idyllwild in California has a high school component, as do some of the camps in Canada.

-Alex
Pat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had better start looking right away. Some of the camps like Eastern Music (in Greensboro NC) have live auditions in January and February so you need to start working on the music. I think Brevard's may in in February. Interlochen's was by tape when my daughter went there a couple of years ago.---Also how intense and how long do you want the experience to be? Interlochen is 8 weeks with chair challenges every week, plus other music classes and you live in small cabins with 10-12 others. You do come back a better player. At Eastern its 5 weeks and you live in dorms, and they rotate the winds on the various parts and most kids really like the atmosphere. (Itzak Perlman's daughter (flute) and Wynton Marsalis went to Eastern)--They are not cheap. Interlochen costs about $5000; Eastern about $3800 and then there is the cost of getting there.
_londonhusker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a good look at http://www.colorado.edu/music/Mendez/ in Boulder. It looks very hard to beat!

Dave
londonhusker
_trumpetgod_02
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, check this out....

Quote:
Welcome to the 62nd year of Summer Music Camps at Florida State University. Since 1942 the FSU School of Music is proud to host one of the oldest and most comprehensive summer music camp programs in the country. Each of our fourteen camps is designed to enhance the musical, educational, and social skills of elementary, junior high/middle school, and high
school students of all abilities. Our camp offerings include a variety of bands, orchestras, jazz ensembles, chamber music ensembles, and choral ensembles that focus on large and small performing ensembles. Other camps such as our piano and vocal solo camps, or our double reed and double bass camps focus on individual and specialized musical experiences. All of our camps offer experiences in music theory, private lessons, conducting, guitar, steel drum, and other multicultural music ensembles. Additionally, we offer our Marching Band Leadership Camp that provides hands-on experiences in developing specific leadership skills.

hazmat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to check out Tanglewood!

http://bso.org/armsOfBSO.jhtml?catName=Tanglewood&area=tgl
BarbaraJ11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to Pat! You need a tape to send in to any of the best camps, or a live audition if they're being held in your area. If you go to http://www.wohsmusic.org/links.htm
and scroll down there are links to some good East Coast programs, and to the tougher ones. Interlochen is intense, with challenges for the chair every week. You'd meet many of the kids that will go to conservatory. Competition! If you want to improve your classical music skills, with a focus on chamber music and improving your talent I can say with confidence - send a tape to Kinhaven Music School in Weston, Vt. http://www.kinhaven.org, if accepted you will have a tremendous time;lots of great learning from the amazing Brian McWhorter. He's a great talent and a great teacher. He has posted here, and just did a CD with Mark Gould. Brilliant, innovative and more. Here is one of the many weblinks about him http://www.meridianartsensemble.com/
email me if you have summer camp questions, I try to find info for kids and parents, since I looked into it for my daughter.

[ This Message was edited by: BarbaraJ11 on 2003-12-10 15:07 ]
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-12-08 21:46, birdland98 wrote:
I'd definitely recommend checking out Brevard. Bill Campbell is the main teacher there, and you would certainly learn a lot about orchestra playing from him. I also know that Idyllwild in California has a high school component, as do some of the camps in Canada.

-Alex

I spent 6 summers at Brevard and got the best orchestral training of my career there. When I was there, there was no jazz program at all...unless a group of people happened to get a quintet together or something. The place is outstanding for band and orchestra. They've even got a great opera company.

By the way, who says Bill Campbell is the main instructor there? He's the "new guy." I've never really known of a "new guy" being the "main guy." He may be principal in the orchestra but I don't believe that's a qualifier for being the main teacher there. Charlie Matthiessen was principal for 20 years and Mark Schubert has been second for almost 10 years now. Before Mark there was Bob Dorer on second. I studied with all three of the latter (Bill got there last summer or the summer before) and each one of them had good things to teach. The thought of one of them being the "main guy" to study with never even came into our heads. To my knowledge they don't think of themselves as being the "main guy" either. You'll learn a ton about orchestral playing from either one of these guys.

John

US Navy Bandsman 1996-2010 (Trumpet; Audio Engineer)
Mpc - Kanstul/Monette B6, Hammond Design custom "JG"
Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
jdh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Spent 3 summers in a row at Interlochen and cannot state enough how much it benefited me. First of all, if you are a serious player, do not worry about if you will get in. Since the camp holds two full bands and Orchestra's, they can and do accept up to 30-35 High School age trumpets per year. The camp experience is one that really gets you focused. All you do there is play the trumpet, play in amazing ensembles and hang out with friends. The cool thing is that since most of your friends will be in the same boat as you, practicing and hanging out can and do go together. All I can say is that I would not be the person or player I am today without Interlochen. (I met my girlfriend there and we are going on two years now.) In three years I went from the middle of the section in the band to the principal of the top orchestra and most of it was because of the training and the modivation I recieved from the camp. You won't regret it! If you want to ask me specific questions about the camp, the teachers, the ensembles, etc. Feel free!!

Jeff Holbrook

[ This Message was edited by: CYSOtrumpet on 2003-12-14 13:53 ]
caritas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a link for a CA summer course:
http://brass.menloschool.org
fatsound

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in the Kinhaven Music Camp, however, their website lists a guy named Jim Sherry as the trumpet instructor, rather than Brian McWhorter as stated by a previous poster. Could someone clarify this please? Thanks.
Carusofiedagain
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim used to be the teacher there, now Brian teaches there. I attended for the past 2 years and they were both amazing. The camp is really awesome, and I hope you could try to come.

"Do not be afraid to copy someones style, it is through this process that we begin to develop our own."~Phil Smith, New York Philharmonic principal trumpet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: