• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

"Maximizing Practice to Maximize Results "

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackz9999

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Mark van Cleave's article on his site entitled "Maximizing Practice to Maximize Results ", he talks about how he could actually see the amount of improvement he made practice session. I have been practicing out of Arban's for a couple of years under the guidance of a teacher. The problem is, my improvement day to day is difficult to see. I was wondering if there are any method books that can harbor this steady and noticeable improvement that Mark van Cleave talks about.

Thanks

[ This Message was edited by: jackz9999 on 2003-12-06 17:40 ]
romey1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not what book you use, but how you use it. Check out Michael Sachs "Daily Fundamentals for the Trumpet" for help with approaching Arban's, Clarke, Flexibility Studies, etc. It's really helpful for someone who wants to set up a routine.

romey
HorneyMikey
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romey,

Where can I find Michael Sach's book?

MIke

[ This Message was edited by: HorneyMikey on 2003-12-07 05:32 ]
robert_white
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that the ability to see results from a practice session is dependant on a couple of things:

1. A clear, specific goal or set of goals ("I want to play this study at mm=104, single tongue", or "I want to taper these long tones down to nothing in 16 counts but maintaining my best, fullest sound", etc.). Many players just run through a routine without any idea of how its components could sound better. Jotting down some specific, ATTAINABLE goals helps focus the practice session. Your teacher can probably help guide you in this pursuit.

2. A vivid conception of what you want to sound like. As has been stated many times on these forums, listen to great players and use them as an ideal to strive for. Don't be frustrated if you're not there yet, just keep their musical model in mind.

Realize that "real" progress (by that I mean a definite transformation of your abilities) takes time. But it is small steps toward that goal that can be immediately observed, and are worth pursuing.

Best of luck!
Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: