• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Exercises to help reinforce core compression

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Auraix

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Exercises to help reinforce core compression Reply with quote

I was just wondering if anyone had any specific exercises they us to help with with their core compression in the upper register, if you do, could you please share them with me? Thank you in advance!
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally... I find practice with deliberately small breaths (breathe in, out, sniff a small breath) useful - when you have less air, you HAVE to compress it, so this can give you a real workout.

The usual warning about resting as much as you play applies even moreso to this - it can be quite taxing physically, don't overdo it and rest plenty!
trumpetmandan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps check out some of the stuff in the Claude Gordon forum on here. In his Systematic Approach book, he instructs the player to hold the last note of his pedal tone exercises until all the air is gone, "and longer", with an attempted crescendo at the end of the note. One of the goals of playing Gordon's exercises this way is to develop the wind power that he believed was necessary to play well in the upper register. I'm not 100% sure I'm correctly interpreting what you mean by "core compression", but if I am I think the CG stuff might be what you're looking for.
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this out:
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=961750
Pete
jmalizia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claude Gordon’s systematic approach to daily practice is a great book for breath and diaphragm work. Also an interesting look at playing high notes is Walt Johnson’s Double High C in Ten Minutes.
#619-726-5547
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: