• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Slide lubricant – what do you use?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Parsons

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Slide lubricant – what do you use? Reply with quote

I've used a 70/30 mix of anhydrous lanolin and cold cream on my slides for many years that works great, but wonder what other lubricants are used successfully. Any commercial products that you like, or any "home brews"?
deanoaks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the instrument I'm using. My go-to for instruments with tighter tolerances is the following though.

Anhydrous lanolin for my 1st and 3rd slides usually applied once a week to my first slide and twice a week to my third. Ultra-Pure heavy grease for my tuning slide and second valve slide. Then ultra-pure thin oil for my valves.
Works for me. I've heard Monster Oil is the latest and greatest lubricant, but I'm too stubborn at this point to change over.
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetman 4 works perfectly for the 1st and 3rd slides. Hetman 7 for the tuning slide.
Not really interested in DIY lubricants!
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herco in the black tub for 1 and 3, Hetman 8 for tuning slide and 2.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI Schilke grease (in the '70's) was 50-50 anhydrous lanolin and amber petrolium jelly. (( I caught grease duty occasionally)

In the shop where I work now, we mix our own with the lanolin and mineral oil, about 60-40 for 1st and third, straight lanolin on the other slides (unless it's really cold in the shop.)
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try 'drug store' Mineral Oil - it is a very pure petroleum medium viscosity oil - no taste, smell, or color. I use it on slides, and it doesn't make the inside 'gooy' mess that some other products do.

I also use in on valve pistons, a drop or 2 and spread around with finger tips. Of course the valves will be very sluggish with just that oil - so THEN put a drop or 2 of regular thin petroleum VALVE OIL on the pistons. As the thin valve oil evaporates (several hours of playing), the valves begin to get sluggish again, so just add another drop of valve oil to each one.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Ultra-Pure lineup... products for all needs.. "Regular" slide lube for all slides - maybe a drop of lever oil or valve oil to thin out the 3rd valve slide.

However I've also been known to use:

5Starr Oil and Lube All- super fast, long lasting Oil, and the Lube is now a gel
or
Blue Juice oil (some don't like the smell) and SpaceFiller slide lube
(One plus with the gels is that you can apply it directly to the slide, you don't have to use your finger.)

I have tried Monster Oil's lineup. I think it functions very well but I don't like the odor-very industrial to me. And have noticed a yellow tint to the residue at the bottom of the valves and what happens to hit the floor - again an industrial impression.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha trombone slide cream. Good enough for a trombone slide, good enough for my trumpet.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

50/50 generic anhydrous lanolin and generic white petroleum jelly. I made up a small amount, more than 20 years ago, and I haven't run out. I probably never will. I use it on all slides. For the third and first, I add a few drops of valve oil.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg

Last edited by mm55 on Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Slide lubes Reply with quote

On all the Scodwell USA trumpets that are finished, I prefer anhydrous lanolin on the tuning and second slide straight from the tub. On the first and third slides I've found "Space Filler TS" to be optimum. It is just thick enough to allow free movement and lasts forever.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across some Super Lube products in the Automotive section of Walmart several years ago. I get them from Amazon now.

Fast slides: Super Lube 51010 Oil (and add a little valve oil to cut it)
It has a needle-tip dispenser, which comes in handy for dispersing in hard to reach areas. Odorless.

Slow slides: Super Lube 21030 Synthetic Grease
Virtually odorless...very, very, very faint odor for the super-sniffers out there.

Both products last fairly long...not as long as anhydrous lanolin, which I tried for awhile during the past two years after reading up on it on previous TH threads, but I have some horns that will sit for a few weeks between playing them, and I found the gooey-ness of lanolin to freak me out too much! Ha! I even went the route of using it on some valves and found it very effective and long-lasting, but only if I played that horn frequently. I can let a horn sit for months with the Super Lube products, and if the slides were smooth prior to putting it away, then they will be the same when picking it up! Again, it does require a little more maintenance (a little valve oil more frequently) than the lanolin options, but I don't mind that hassle. As for using trombone products: As much as I want my fast slides to operate as quickly as a trombone slide...and I do...I just can't bring myself to purchasing products made for such an inferior instrument! Ha! I said it! (But truthfully, somethin' just ain't right about that....)
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 50 years, I’ve used Vaseline on the tuning slide and the tiniest amount on 2nd, just hoping it won’t get stuck.
On 1st, a little Vaseline and couple drops valve oil every time I oil the valves.
On 3rd, valve oil only.
Always seems to work fine. Am I missing something not using the products you guys are using?
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use anhydrous lanolin on the main, 2nd and dump slides. For the first and 3rd I've had pretty good luck with Bach rotor oil, though I'm intrigued by Tony's use of Space Filler TS and may have to give that a try. FWIW, when I ran out of Bach rotor oil I tried Yamaha rotor oil. And while it works okay it seems too thin for the job.

Vaseline works for the slow slides alright but it doesn't last nearly as long and when it fails it can get crusty and slides can either leak or get stuck. Lanolin is very similar but with none of the downsides. Know that you can get Lanolin any place they sell baby supplies. Be sure to get the anhydrous gel and not the white cream.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
ENTtrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorites are Hetman 4-6 depending on the tolerance of the slide.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptptp wrote:
For 50 years, I’ve used Vaseline on the tuning slide and the tiniest amount on 2nd, just hoping it won’t get stuck.
On 1st, a little Vaseline and couple drops valve oil every time I oil the valves.
On 3rd, valve oil only.
Always seems to work fine. Am I missing something not using the products you guys are using?

Like you, Craig, for years I used Vaseline (cut with valve oil on the fast slides), but I found that it would break down sooner than I preferred, and I'd have to reapply to get rid of the slight metal-against-metal feel/sound. I couldn't find the right viscosity mix at my local music store, and it was happenstance that I came across the Super Lube products in the Automotive area at a Walmart and that I took the gamble. I think many/most/maybe all options mentioned are good, but it probably depends on your preference for feel/control, frequency of application, odor v. odorless, cost, valve oil compatibility (if a concern), ease of clean up, etc. If I was playing only one horn, then maintaining it the same way for years wouldn't be that big of a deal for me. Having many horns in various keys brings another issue into play, especially if I don't pick up one of them for several weeks, like my Schilke 4-valve E/F/G. This was the problem for me in using lanolin; if the horn sits for some time, then the slides can get very gummy when you pick it up, and the first time you experience that, you freak! (It quickly loosens when you start moving the slide and is back to complete use after a drop or two of valve oil.) Otherwise, I’d have no objection to using lanolin.

Nevertheless, after reading these contributions, I'll probably end up trying all of them, even if I've tried them before!
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
Nevertheless, after reading these contributions, I'll probably end up trying all of them, even if I've tried them before!

Ha. Me too. That’s what we do.
Trombacan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anhydrous Lanolin on main tuning and second slide and Schilke or Yamaha synthetic for first & third.
BRSpringer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been using Resilience Oils Kick Gel for the last year or so. It’s synthetic, very smooth, and lasts longer than the two brands I used before, both of them two of the more popular names mentioned here.
Oh, and their valve oil is excellent, too.
nkolisnyk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A local shop here uses Yamalube engine oil, applied with a brush. They are a Yamaha trumpet dealer/service department. It works really really well, and one 1L bottle of it will last a lifetime.

www.rupertslandbrass.ca
www.nafrodance.com
www.cnhussi.com
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the Spacefiller product for a very long time. The Spacefiller TS outlasts anything else that I have ever used and only needs a drop or 2 of Spacefiller Ultimate Oil to keep it working extremely well for a very long while on 1st and 3rd slides. It is getting harder to find these days, though Musician's Friend has it in stock or available for order on a regular basis.
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: