• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Arban's Procedure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WaxHaX0rS
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there's a post about this already, but I'm going to make a new one because it's a little different. I'll probably be receiving my Arban's tomorrow and I want to know how to go through it. When I progress through exercises, should my goal be to just be able to play them? Or should it be to make them easy, or somewhere in the middle? Such as being able to play them with some effort, almost flawlessly.
bradcl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your goal should be to challenge yourself and by working at specific fundamentals and make them easy. Depending on how advanced you are you should mmove the tempos around so that it is challenging, yet playable. You should practice lip slurs, multiple tonguing, scales, arpeggios, intervals, etc.
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are currently studying with a teacher you trust, let him be your Arban's guide. He will determine the order in which you should play the exercises, and the tempo, etc. If you are not currently studying with anyone, I'd play the book in the order in which it was written. That was Arban's plan, and he will guide you thru it with his commentaries. Certainly if something is too fast to be played by you at the moment, slow down the tempo until it is playable. Ask your teacher if it's ok with him if you progress thru the book on your own, or if you should wait for his tutelage. He may want you to only tackle certain exercises at a time and not go onto others until he feels you are ready.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no teacher, I'm going to go through it myself.
PJN
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a post, it points out that Arbans is divided into ten sections, some say pick one thing from each section every week and work on that for a week. Others say play a page out of each section every day. I guess it depends on where you are in your development.

To start, pick one from each. Work on it with a metronome for 3, 5 , 7 minutes. Don't allow yourself to learn poor habits, but don't expect perfection just yet. Move to the next section, lather rinse repeat! Remember, trumpet is like working in the garden, you will never be finished, so do a good job every day and don't hide in the tall grass!

You don't want to over tax yourself, but you want to accomplish something every day. Establish a routine and stick to it. You can come back to each and every exercise for years and years and still learn something no matter what stage of the game you are at. There is no need to finish the book in a month. With a little imagination you can make this book as challenging as you like. Your investment of money and time well spent will pay you dividends for years to come!

Have fun

Patrick
WaxHaX0rS
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJN I was just going to ask about the sections. I think I will do what you say and do a few things from each section every day or a page from each section a week or something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: