• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Experiences regarding the new Lotus mouthpieces?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
Back when I played a Monette mouthpiece I felt I had to blow through the notes a lot and ended up fighting it and switching to a Bach mouthpiece. But now with the Lotus I'm playing it in a way where I don't feel it is sucking the air out of me.

You might have found the Lotus easier just because you were trying again .. it took me three tries at a Monette over a period of several years to get to the point where I preferred playing on it. It was more work for me to play on it .. until one day it surprisingly wasn't.

Don't sell the Lotus, put it in a drawer and maybe have another go down the line.
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottfsmith wrote:
Jaw04 wrote:
Back when I played a Monette mouthpiece I felt I had to blow through the notes a lot and ended up fighting it and switching to a Bach mouthpiece. But now with the Lotus I'm playing it in a way where I don't feel it is sucking the air out of me.

You might have found the Lotus easier just because you were trying again .. it took me three tries at a Monette over a period of several years to get to the point where I preferred playing on it. It was more work for me to play on it .. until one day it surprisingly wasn't.

Don't sell the Lotus, put it in a drawer and maybe have another go down the line.

Not selling but am working with Charles Wagner of Lotus mouthpiece to try and exchange to a size 7 and small 3.8mm throat.
BrandonLeighJr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Experiences with the lotus mouthpieces Reply with quote

I have ordered the Lotus 3m+ 3.8 throat, and the order is definitely worth it. I recommend you anyone who needs a new all around piece. I use it for Jazz, combo, symphony orchestra, concert, and lead. Your tone will not suffer and the sound stays just as big no matter what register you’re in. The tone is very dark and when you step on the gas playing lead, the tone can be piercing and bright. The rim is very comfortable and doesn’t impede articulation, and is very crisp. The tuning is perfect in the middle register. I’m currently getting used to playing relaxed in the upper register, and it’s way easier than I thought.
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzvuu wrote:
the slide pull between of the 3L+ and 3M+ is minimum if not none.

Did you find the M cup in any way easier to play or more manageable than the L cup or did both cups present the same problems you felt equally?
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chapahi wrote:
jazzvuu wrote:
the slide pull between of the 3L+ and 3M+ is minimum if not none.

Did you find the M cup in any way easier to play or more manageable than the L cup or did both cups present the same problems you felt equally?

The only difference for me honestly between the L and M cups are in timbre. Just slightly brighter and edgier faster when lay on. My range does not change much with different mouthpieces anymore. I top out at a Ab above high C on whatever cup I play on it for the most part and in some cases slot it easier on the C cup than shallower cups. What I personally lack is the sizzle or impact in the high register. I am more akin to a piccolo trumpet or symphonic in tone and timbre in the upper register on Bb than a commercial sounding lead player. I wanted a piece that could give me that more commercial / leading player sound without changing my blow approach too much. I am coming to grips that that sound requires me to change my blow no matter my equipment choices.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: