• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette B mouthpiece in a C trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Monette B mouthpiece in a C trumpet Reply with quote

Sorry if my search has not turned up what I was looking for and am I re-asking a question answered before. So I have my "new" 1970s Getzen Eterna C, which is an awesome horn. I use it for small ensemble playing.

On a whim I plugged in a Monette B6 I still have lying around from my "need to play Monette as well" days. The sound was great, response and articulation much less so. Pretty sluggish and intonation was strange as well.

Is this a general phenomenon that you should really use Monette C pieces on C trumpets to get something playable?

My regular mp is a Klier USA 5C for both Bb and C. Essentially a copy of a Bach Mt. Vernon, I am told. Works great on both horns. No problems switching between Bb and C here.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple fact is that any piece of tubing will amplify your buzz. If you have metal with a hole in it, that can, in theory, be part of a trumpet. So, a Monette Bb, Picc, Eb, etc. mpc will amplify your buzz into whatever key horn you put it in...but it’ll only play as designed with the correct key.

Not sure how much more nuanced a response you were looking for. What you described has been provided in Monette literature since they started making mpcs, and now you’ve tried it on your own and asked the Internet.

Happy practicing, and consider playing a C trumpet mpc on C.

-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Monette B mouthpiece in a C trumpet Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:

Is this a general phenomenon that you should really use Monette C pieces on C trumpets to get something playable?

Short answer: yes.

Medium answer: yes, and you have already found the differences on your own that illustrate exactly what Monette is talking about in his literature.

Longer answer: I have a matching set of Monette mouthpieces. I can IMMEDIATELY tell if I have picked up the wrong piece for the wrong horn. Slots are not the same, certain pitches lose focus and center, the tone is not as focused and solid as on the correct pitch mouthpiece.

You have to remember that Monette designed these mouthpieces specifically for the key. The shortening of the mouthpiece is only one of the alterations that are made to instrument mouthpieces by key, albeit the clearly visible one!

When I got my first Monette mouthpiece, I had a C mouthpiece only. David was at IU for a visit with folks, and saw me playing the C mouthpiece on the Bb. He immediately walked over, asked why I was doing that, to which I replied, "I can only afford to buy these periodically with my income and going to school. I will get the other as soon as I can." He replied that he would send me one, no charge. And he did...and it helped tremendously.

That was 1989....his position regarding mouthpieces for the specific key of an instrument has not changed, and I have found (for me) he is right.

When I use another brand of mouthpiece, it works fine in multiple keys of instruments. I have several Bach symphonic pieces that work great on my Bb, C, Eb, etc. But when I play my Monette, they are the right mouthpiece for the right horn. Always...

Hope this helps,

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
deleted_user_48e5f31

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by dfcoleman

Last edited by deleted_user_48e5f31 on Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total
yctrumpet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, C mpc does work better than the Bb one on C trumpet. Go get one!

It's not when you put a C mpc on the trumpet, you can play ridiculously high, but the instant relieve and secure on certain notes will make your life a whole lot easier.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, in the meantime Google has turned up the old thread on the same topic Not sure why the search function on TH did not. I am still amazed at the fact the there is a "Monette difference" but no other mp difference. Interesting. Thanks for all the replies.
1977 Conn 6B
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and yctrumpet, I did not plan on playing ridiculously high (not my department anyway). I fully understand that I will have the same range. But a good mp will be nice anyway. Only half the orchestra fighting with intonation is much better than a full orchestra fighting with intonation so contributing there will be good.
1977 Conn 6B
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, but as far as I remember V. Bach made C cup for the C trumpet, the B cup for the Bb and so on.
Today it seems nobody really cares about this and even Bach does not make a lot of advertising about this.
So why Bach failed and Monette succeeded?
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ voltrane: interesting, but is this true? I find it hard to believe Vincent Bach spent time to develop an mp for an A trumpet (of all things, this would be a REALLY small market) and calling it an A cup. Plus a B cup should then really be called a Bb cup, shouldn’t it?
1977 Conn 6B
omelet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be the odd guy here. I think everything is a trade off. When you shorten the mouthpiece for the shorter trumpet, the tuning is better but, something else suffers.

To show in extreems: if I play my E-flat trumpet with the E-flat mouthpiece, I have trouble with the lower register. The notes don't want to click in and the sound isn't that good. If I put in a B-flat mouthpiece, the notes click in and the sound is way better but, the trumpet plays way out of tune.

I'm not sure what the longer taper does from a technical standpoint but, just from playing I can feel it. The difference between B-flat and C is small so we probably see the tuning as a help more than the loss of something else.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

👍🏻 thanks everyone!
1977 Conn 6B
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Al, I found a Bb mpc in a C trumpet was odd. In a blind play test with a colleague, he noticed it and the terms he used to describe it was almost exactly as Dave Monette writes.

BUT - one day, I plugged by C mpc into my Bb, and performed and unaccompanied piece. Apart from my being quite happy with my playing, colleagues and others were highly complimentary!

Now we can all put that in our pipes and smoke it...

cheers

Andy
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On at least a few occasions I switched from C to Bb trumpet during a performance. When I did, my Monette C2M S3 worked fine on my Bb. I don't recall doing the reverse with a B-series Monette mouthpiece....

If I recall correctly, the Monette Silver Series mouthpieces are intended to work well on both C and Bb.
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/joseph.spitzer.3/videos/vb.1477422260/3408306214571/?type=2&video_source=user_video_tab

I don't know if you will get there with this link. I was playing a Monette E-flat trumpet with a B-flat mouthpiece.
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that a C is better in a Bb than a B in a C, but using a B on Bb and C on C is by far the best set up. I've never had an E but I've used a B on Eb. If I ever got an Eb horn of my own, I'd get an E.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: