• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Which trumpet would Blue Mitchell play today?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PawnshopSelmerMan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Which trumpet would Blue Mitchell play today? Reply with quote

Hello, All

I am looking for a new trumpet. I considered every type of sound. I looked a large bore trumpets, small bore trumpets, I even considered which of my favorite artist I would like to emulate the most and in the end I felt that couldn't stay away from that Blue Mitchell sort of sound. I took to the internet and discovered a Conn 8b, but none were available to find on the internet. There are Bach 37s but I felt that the Conn 8b was more in touch with the old music that I'm accustomed to listening to.

Could it be that I'm being too picky. I really liked the sound of that Conn 8b. Is there something else out there more readily available like a modern trumpet that could give that same sort of Blue Mitchell sound?

Thanks,

PawnShopselmerman
jazztrumpetbill
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimately any horn you pick you will sound like yourself. Blue Mitchell could pick up my horn and sound like Blue Mitchell. It is the person not the horn.

Bb Burbank Benge L
Bb Schilke B1
Olds Silverstar Flugel
King Silvertone Cornet
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The downside with basing your idea of what a particular trumpet player sounded like - even getting past issues of individual bone and muscle structure - is realizing what a big difference the microphone, mic placement and recording chain produced. When we listen to a recording of a trumpet, we are hearing lots more gear than just the trumpet.

When we listen to a recording of a trumpet, we are hearing the trumpet through a particular microphone, placed in a certain position, likely processed through a compressor, etc., etc.

As much as the Martin Committee is adored by many, did Chet Baker, sound like Dizzy Gillespie? Did either of them sound like Miles Davis?

If one were fortunate enough to hear those giants live, un-mic'd, we'd have something more valid on which to base our search.

I will admit to being a gearhead, but the only way I have found to select a trumpet that has "that sound" I hear in my head is to play a bunch of them, ideally with a fellow musician with me, whose ears I trust, to tell me what it sounds like on the other side of the bell.

Take care,
Marc Speed
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for a Conn 22B. That might be your answer.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that sounding like a particular player has nothing to do with the horn and everything to do with the player. I think the example given in a prior post regarding many players playing a Martin Committee yet no two sounding alike is right on target. Sounding like a particular player is so much more involved than the frequencies, overtones and undertones of the basic sound (which vary a lot from player to player even on the same horn). It also involves styling, texture and musical concepts.

THE jazz trumpet of the era was the Martin Committee. So, if a player wants to psychologically tie themselves to that era with the horn they play and symbolically invoke the spirit of the players of that era then the Martin Committee is the logical choice. It won't make you sound like anyone in particular but the heritage of it is pretty cool.
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ole’s exhaustive list of players and equipment shows Blue Mitchell playing a variety of horns.
http://abel.hive.no/trompet/playerhorn/

Cover art on his albums show him with a variety of horns as well.

Since he could sound like himself on different horns maybe the way to approach it is to consider which horns to avoid. Which designs would make it harder for you to get that sound?
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazztrumpetbill wrote:
Ultimately any horn you pick you will sound like yourself. Blue Mitchell could pick up my horn and sound like Blue Mitchell. It is the person not the horn.

+1 What Bill Said, the sound is yours, its not in the horn. Blue Mitchell could play a Bundy and make it sound like Blue Mitchell, BTW, some early 70's bundy's were pretty darn good sounding !!

good luck,

tom
jazztrumpetbill
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to add that there is certainly a difference between horns. Pro versus student models. Vintage versus new. In addition, some horns are brighter than others, some have smoother valve action, some seem to be easier to play in the upper register. But it is the person's sound that travels with each horn model. IMHO

Bb Burbank Benge L
Bb Schilke B1
Olds Silverstar Flugel
King Silvertone Cornet
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: BM Reply with quote

Blue Mitchell played on a number of different horns. He started on a Committee, then I've seen photos of him playing what I presume to be an Olds, then seemed to settle on a 38B.

He always sounded like Blue Mitchell, and always sounded like one of the masters of jazz playing.

Brent S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: