• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Haydn and Hummel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WaxHaX0rS
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm just a highschool student but I was wondering about the haydn and hummel. They seem to be pretty popular solos, I've heard about them more than anything here. I was wondering if I could find the sheet music for one or both for DL (especially haydn, it seems easier). Preferably with piano accompaniment so that my mother can accompany me, haha. I know I might get flamed by the people who say "oooh, oooh, you should buy it!" But I don't think the money would really benefit Haydn all that much. And if I really like it and ever wanna perform it, I would probably buy it for sure.
_trumpetgod_02
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They aren't that expensive... but other than that my advice is a little dry. I own a couple copies of each, I don't know why though.

Nick
WaxHaX0rS
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My family is not economically well off and for some reason (even though I myself can afford it with birthday money and such) my mother does not like me to buy anything. I just bought my arban's and she told me that was gonna be it for buying music for a while.
bradcl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know why you think Haydn is easier. It may be technically easier but to make it sound amazing... it is in another league then the Hummel
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at it this way: If you purchase a copy of those two solos, they will be yours and if you take good care of them, it's quite possible that you will never need another copy. Considering that both works were composed sometime in the 18th or early 19th centuries, it isn't likely that they will ever change. Look at it as an investment and an opportunity to grow.

When I was a senior in HS (1988-1989) I purchased the Mel Bay book "Hymns & Descants for the Trumpet" for $12.00 in a music store in Denver.
http://www.buy-scores.com/boutique-uk-frame-eur.php?clef=3090
At the time, I really didn't think much of it and I didn't know if I would use it or not. Now, nearly 15 years later, I have to say that it was $12.00 well spent. I have used that book and the descants in it at more church services than I can remember and although the staples have worn through the cover causing it to fall off, I still have the book and I know that I'll end up using the descants in there again and again and again. It has paid for itself many times over. Some might argue that it isn't the best book of descants out there, but it has certainly served me well and has enabled me to easily spice up and ornament hymns at church services.

In my opinion, as long as you take care of the music that you buy, it is money well spent and an investment in your musicianship. I hope that one day your Mom will come to understand that.

Just my 2¢
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
hazmat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't even think you can find an online version to tell you the truth. They aren't expensive at all. At a time in high school when I didn't have money I just put music on my birthday and Christmas lists (X-Mas is coming up). It is worth owning them.
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good observation, Bradcl. The Haydn, to my ear, requires a good deal more intelligent stylistic choices than The Hummel to pull off successfully. This is not to say that interpretation does not play an important role in a brilliant execution of The Hummel, but if you can simply play The Hummel technically, you are halfway there. With The Haydn, I'd say you are perhaps only 25% there.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't buy a piece of music, my advice would be to go to the public library. In San Diego, our central library has music scores, and one can request scores be sent to one's local branch. If you have anything like that, you could get your hands on a score, have it for about three weeks or so, and then, if you still needed it, you could always take it to a Staples or Office Max and copy it yourself on one of their nickle-a-page black and white copiers.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On behalf of law abiding trumpet players - be very careful of the copyright law with regard to photocopying.

As for the music, I would be very careful about just buying (or finding) any cheap edition. There are some awful ones out there. Even with a limited budget it is usually worth obtaining a decent edition. The last thing you want is to learn a piece one way, only to find that it actually should be played in a different way!

On a related subject, I would be very tempted to avoid both these pieces altogether. They are amazingly difficult pieces to play well. I have heard a huge number of players (students and pros) play the notes very well, but very few of them have (in my humble opinion) played the music. Because these pieces are the standards of the classical world, everyone is expected to play them. This, for me, is a huge shame. It means that everyone feels they have to play the pieces. They do not suit everyone's style of playing and it is not everybody that can pull them off. What we end up with is, frequently, a very good rendition of the notes, all in the right order and in the right place, some flashy cadenzas (which are frequently completely out of character with the piece and somtimes even unplayable on the original instrument!) but not really much music.
I actively discourage even my advanced students from playing these pieces, even when they are very proficient players, until I am confident that they will be able to play them musically.

Almost any trumpet player (worth their salt) can play the notes, that really is not the point of these pieces. If we can't make music out of them, we shouldn't try!
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, as you could perhaps glean from my post, I am inclined to agree with only the most experienced players attempting to perform the Haydn and Hummel. But as far as learning these pieces, I take a different approach. While I don't go so far as to say "the younger the better" I think most high school students can only benefit from a combination of listening to good recordings of those pieces, combined with trying to learn them for themselves. I credit my own early tackling of both of these with their still being commited to memory during my long absence from playing. Can't say the same for many other pieces of music in their entirety, but those two are in my memory forever.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valvepimp
I said that I actively discourage them, it doesn't mean that they listen to me!!

If they really want to learn those pieces I will teach them. I find that if I do discourage them, only the ones who are likely to make music will take up the challenge.
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ask your band director to get copies of each for the solo/ensemble library and use those. i would do it, have done it, for my students.

dj
MJE

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a free, non-copyright, Haydn at
http://abel.hive.no/trompet/haydn/handke.html
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJE - nice one

That looks like a nice edition.

Shame it's for Eb trumpet, I much prefer Haydn (and Hummel for that matter) on a Bb. I find that the sound is nearer to that which I am after with these pieces.
hazmat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The edition posted above by MJE just has one problem that I have seen so far...
First page, last system, 5th measure.

Should be c2 b1 c1 a1 *f1

*f1 instead of g1.

EDIT:
Another Problem
Second page, first system, 8th measure

The last C (middle C, c1) in the measure should be a D (d1)

Biggest problem yet is that the third page is missing. There should be four pages total and there is only three.

BAC Trumpet 2002
Hartt School of Music

[ This Message was edited by: hazmat on 2003-12-11 15:00 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: