• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chris Kratt, Union NJ

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I bought a trumpet at a yardsale the other day. It's in fairly rough shape (missing laquer, all the joints have been re-soldered, missing valves) but I figured if nothing else I could hang it on my wall, or experiment with colored laquer. It says Chris Kratt, Union NJ, and the on the middle valve casing it has a serial number. I looked up the name Chris Kratt on google and it didn't turn up anything pertaining to this. Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking it's a no-name-cheapo that was sold mail order or something. If you've ever heard of this brand, please post what you know of it here.

Bonnie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tom K.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only Chris Kratt I've heard of is Chris Kratt (and Martin Kratt) of the kids TV show Kratt's Creatures (now called Zoboomafoo). Maybe you have one of the original creatures.
jazzsolotrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-07-17 17:16, Tom K. wrote:
The only Chris Kratt I've heard of is Chris Kratt (and Martin Kratt) of the kids TV show Kratt's Creatures (now called Zoboomafoo). Maybe you have one of the original creatures.

Hehe, Zoboomafoo is an awesome show!

-Matt
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahahha...maybe so. I did ask my teacher and he had never heard of it. I guess I'll either experiement with colored laquer or make it into a lamp

Bonnie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lesse.....there was a Chris Kraft.....wasn't he with NASA at one point?
Oh...and Christ Craft.....they were a boat company.
Don't forget the annual Chris. Craft sales (Christmas Craft).

Silly, silly...........................(back in the box).
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to make the finish brushed and discovered there is 'Made in Germany' inscriped on it. Two vavles are still there, and both have the same serial number on them as the horn. I tried putting another valve from another trumpet but it's a little small, the sound is very distorted.

Bonnie
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrecting a somewhat old thread... I found the same model cornet today at our local music shop. Chris Kraft of Union, NJ. It was on the top shelf in the back of the store in a funky '50s style turquoise case. The horn is old, but kinda pretty... copper tuning slide and a two tone copper/brass bell.

So, '87, did your Chris Kratt/Kraft clean up nicely and play well? Should I rush right out and buy? Ironically enough, although this store is meticulous in their labeling and pricing of horns, this one was unmarked (the staff admittedly are gear heads and know very little about band instruments.)
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing back an old one a decade and a half after the last resurrection...but, I just stumbled upon this thread when doing a "Chris Kratt" google search:

Sadly, I can't remember how I came into possession of this particular piece, but I dug it out after recently coming into a vintage Bach G piccolo, which takes a cornet-shanked mouthpiece. This turned out to be the only standard-shanked cornet mouthpiece I had in the house when the thing arrived.

I hope this image attachment will work, but just in case:

"CHRIS KRATT" (with very little space in the font between the first and last name) is stamped across the side of the rim, just above;

Bb CORNET at the top of the cup, followed by;

MADE in GERMANY, then the size?;
SC - 18
[/img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kj-nDkoOhGTNER0hOsL--VI9UvgLF59s/view?usp=sharing[img]

I'll take some calipers to it, if any one is interested in the size. The throat feels a little small, but the piece is in good condition, and at least buzzes through the bottom of this horn up to the Brandenburg passages I (of course!) tried out within the first few minutes of having the horn.

Mainly adding these bits of data, as the previous responses on this mysterious manufacturer - or now long-forgotton player who endorsed with various makers - mentioned only New England, USA provenance. The age makes me think this "MADE in GERMANY" might? stand-in for West Germany, and not the DDR/GDR...

The mystery continues...

Happy practicing, whatever you buzz into,
-DB[/img]
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
ProAm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danbassin wrote:
... after recently coming into a vintage Bach G piccolo...

Huh, good buy! I totally missed seeing that one. Would love to have one of those just for the heck of it.
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:

Come on folks.....if you have played trumpet for a while you SHOULD know of these horns...they are indeed made in Germany & are not bad trumpets. I owned one a while back & was pleased w/it. BUT, I do have about 30 other trumpets and CURRENTLY just bought a Jupiter Capital Edition w/sterling lead-pipe that plays better than most pro trumpets on the market today!
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetplayer87 wrote:
I decided to make the finish brushed and discovered there is 'Made in Germany' inscriped on it. Two vavles are still there, and both have the same serial number on them as the horn. I tried putting another valve from another trumpet but it's a little small, the sound is very distorted.

Bonnie

Bonnie- they are pretty good mid-level trumpets, made in Germany........but, you might have a tough time finding that valve that is missing! Go to ebay & see if someone has a beat up Chris Kratt and buy it for the valves! They are better than most cheap Chinese horns. Taiwanese horns are a different matter....Jupiter, made in Taiwan is as good or better than ANY horn on the market today.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully in the nearly 16 years since she made that post she has been able to fix it or move on...
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
Hopefully in the nearly 16 years since she made that post she has been able to fix it or move on...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: