• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE "FLUFFY" MOUTHPIECES

View previous topic :: View next topic  
evillalobos12

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE "FLUFFY" MOUTHPIECES Reply with quote

I'm experimenting with different mouthpieces and I use the forum to find out about prospective equipment I could try out, but the term "fluffy" has me completely lost. This is a serious question- I genuinely would like to know what my fellow trumpet players mean when they describe a mouthpiece as "fluffy".
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it here, and only here, and in my half century of being a professional musician, I have never seen that term. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist and it must mean something to somebody, but not to me or anyone I have known.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is from Schilke:

https://www.schilkemusic.com/products/mouthpieces/custom-series/

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That info from Schilke is confusing - I couldn't easily determine what particular mpc is being referred to.
"The mouthpiece affectionately known as the “fluffy” has a flugel style cup and trumpet stem with the same rim contour and feel as the other models in this series".

Aside from the Schilke info, if a person describes a mpc as being 'fluffy', I think that is their description of the sound that they produce when using the mpc, and not about the mpc itself.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
That info from Schilke is confusing - I couldn't easily determine what particular mpc is being referred to.
"The mouthpiece affectionately known as the “fluffy” has a flugel style cup and trumpet stem with the same rim contour and feel as the other models in this series".

Then read the different descriptions of the Symphony Series mouthpiece cups and use some deductive logic to figure it out.

Aside from the Schilke info, if a person describes a mpc as being 'fluffy', I think that is their description of the sound that they produce when using the mpc, and not about the mpc itself.

Splitting hairs. It's obvious a mouthpiece doesn't produce any sound by itself. That said, there are characteristics that produce certain sounds. In this case, the "fluffy" velvety sound is produced using mouthpiece with a flugel-style cup, trumpet shank with the length, throat and backbore adjusted for pitch.

Jay

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand "fluffy" to mean a flügelhorn type mouthpiece made for trumpet.

IE Curry TF, Reeves C2J, Pickett FLT & FLTM, Schilke Symphony Series F#, Frost TF, Patrick F/T, Hammond XL (uses "fluffy" in description), Austin Custom Brass FX & FT Hybrid, etc. Basically, name your brand and they probably have something "fluffy".

They're meant to get a flügel-esque sound and make it easier to play ballads and soft passages, they are ultra deep V-shaped cups and they usually have shorter shanks to compensate for the extreme deepness.

Many makers also make a trumpet-cornet hybrid mouthpiece.

Last edited by O00Joe on Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure Bob Reeves has a mouthpiece with that sound characteristic.

Steve Dillard / www.horntrader.com might, too.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
JayKosta wrote:
... easily ...

Then read the different descriptions of the Symphony Series mouthpiece cups and use some deductive logic to figure it out.
Splitting hairs. It's obvious a mouthpiece doesn't produce any sound by itself. That said, there are characteristics that produce certain sounds. In this case, the "fluffy" velvety sound is produced using mouthpiece with a flugel-style cup, trumpet shank with the length, throat and backbore adjusted for pitch.

--------------------------------------------
And NO, I didn't bother to read the individual mpc descriptions or do any deductive reasoning.

I thought it was odd that the Schilke info mentioned one of their mpc as being known as the "fluffy" but left it up to the customer to determine which one (THE FLUFFY) would produce the 'velvety' sound. Perhaps because they didn't want the responsibility in case the customer was not satisfied.
edit: I realize that Schilke products have a long and good reputation, and I have NO idea about why they write their product descriptions as they do.

And while Schilke describes what they think are the characteristics that give one of their mpc a particular sound. It's not at all clear that other people who report a 'fluffy' sound mean it in such a positive manner.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.

Last edited by JayKosta on Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best guess is that it's either a mouthpiece that gives a 'fluffy' sound (perhaps a sound that is light, diffuse and without any edge), or a mouthpiece that hasn't been cleaned in too long, so there are things growing in it.
I'd avoid both.
oddchance

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think also the Hammond mouthpiece XL cup has "fluffy" in it's description on their website. Deep, dark flugel-like is my guess. Sorry if this is already redundant.
Trptca
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fluffy is also known as the job saver. They are designed to be used on entrances where the idiot with the stick (conductor) wants you to play insanely and unreliably soft. Basically they are designed to mask the sound and articulation so no one can hear you. Very handy to have in the case. Used mostly in the orchestral world.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the term used in reference to a very diffused sound, sort of a flugel sound on trumpet or cornet. The Wick cornet mouthpieces are the most obvious examples, but also have a Warburton BC(British cornet) 8 that coupled with a BC 8* backbore that does the same thing.

In college, being broke, made an adapter out of plumbing tubing to do the same thing with a french horn mouthpiece in a trumpet. It worked, sounded fine for some of the flugel parts where I didn't own a flugel. Only compromise was the tuning slide had to be almost all the way in, played really flat.
Since all other motivesfame, money, power, even honorare thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it. Wayne Booth
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it means a piece which favors the production of an airy sound, such as the one you hear from Dmitri Matheny,
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always called it "fuzzy", but I guess it's the same thing as fluffy. The sound produced on a Wick no-letter cornet mouthpiece is a good example of this trait.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
I've always called it "fuzzy", but I guess it's the same thing as fluffy. The sound produced on a Wick no-letter cornet mouthpiece is a good example of this trait.

+1!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: