• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Name some efficient horns

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In pursuit of efficient horns I've owned and gig tested most all the typical candidates like Dom made Callicchio 1S-7, Burbank Benge 3x, Callet Superchops, Olds Super, Conn 22B, King Liberty. If you are looking for the horn that will give you the biggest, most solid and in-tune core with top projection for the least effort then be sure to search out a Callet Sima, or the Callet New York Soloist which is similar but a pinch less efficient. The Sima and New York Soloist are Jerome's last two designs. IMO, it will be quite a few years until other makers catch up with these two trumpets.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to offer a different view. The most efficient horn is that in front of an efficient player. I used to be one of those more-air-more-power players with a very flat mouthpiece.

After getting back after a twelve year break I first got my chops back and then got a really good teacher hold taught me a few things including to hold my horn much lower to free up the upper lip to vibrate - tremendous effect! Plus I went through a pretty drastic embouchure change plus I also started bass trumpet, which is a good way of further training your air and embouchure (and ear for intonation).

Now, after all this, I play a solid high E above high C (getting higher in the practice room, but that is not always beautiful to hear ) in gigs with a good and pretty strong sound while before I had an OK but not always stable high C.

Mind you, this is on the same horn with a much deeper mp than what I used in the olden high power days (Yamaha 14a4a then vs. Klier USA 5C now, it even works with a Monette B6 but this mp does wear me out faster - need to work on air support).
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've remained quiet on this thread so far, mainly because I think the concept of an 'efficient' horn is quite flawed.

I thought I would share the following video to encourage some discussion. It was featured in another thread (maybe I even started that one, I don't remember) but the point here is that this young player is clearly incredibly efficient. Perhaps his trumpet is also 'efficient' but really it goes to prove the point that efficiency comes from the player- he's not playing any of the so-called efficient horns named above and yet, I wonder, how many people could demonstrate efficiency of this level? (It doesn't matter if you can't, but I'm suggesting that changing trumpet isn't going to be the difference between achieving it or not, if I'm making sense?)

https://youtu.be/1nPvs7XsdMA

If I was being cheeky, what's the most efficient horn? Whatever that kid is playing!

All the best

Edit 1 and 2:
1) Have just remembered a post by Alex Brain (the player in the link) saying he uses Shires trumpets.
2) There are numerous other players I could also have used as examples, but I just thought that was a particularly succinct video to demonstrate my point.

Last edited by LSOfanboy on Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree that efficiency is partly due to the approach of the player, in my experience the horn is also an important factor. A few years ago I was looking for the right horn for the demands of the gig I was working on-same player and approach, same gig, same mouthpiece etc.. The horn choice is certainly a factor-I ended up at the time with an Olds Super, due to it's lead pipe and bell design. I aim to play efficiently on whatever horn I'm playing (now a Schilke) but horn choice does make a difference on many aspects playing, including efficency.
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Ortiz wrote:
While I agree that efficiency is partly due to the approach of the player, in my experience the horn is also an important factor. A few years ago I was looking for the right horn for the demands of the gig I was working on-same player and approach, same gig, same mouthpiece etc.. The horn choice is certainly a factor-I ended up at the time with an Olds Super, due to it's lead pipe and bell design. I aim to play efficiently on whatever horn I'm playing (now a Schilke) but horn choice does make a difference on many aspects playing, including efficency.

Hi Bill,

So whilst I do accept your arguments, I think my point was still valid.

If you watch the clip I posted (or clips of other incredibly efficient players), can you match that level of pure efficiency? (It doesn't matter if not) but the truth is that that particular player (or someone of equal ability) could play any of the trumpets that you describe as 'efficient', or indeed any of the trumpets that you may describe as 'inefficient' and, in all likelihood, still be 'more efficient' than you or most other posters on this thread?

That's not a personal attack by any means, I'm just trying to clarify my point that ultimately a trumpet can only allow (at absolute maximum (and actually it is scientifically impossible)) you to play to 100% of your efficiency- no trumpet can allow you to play with higher than 100% efficiency. But if one player can play with double your efficiency, actually they can play pretty much anything and still be 'more efficient' than the lesser player on the very best trumpet ever.

There are clearly two (both valid) sides to this argument, but I would always say that the player is 95% the important part of the equation.

All the best
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptguy wrote:
The Sima and New York Soloist are Jerome's last two designs. IMO, it will be quite a few years until other makers catch up with these two trumpets.

On what basis? What does the Sima and New York Soloist have that other trumpets don't have and won't have for years to come? Is there some special patented design or patented process that is exclusive to the Sima and New York Soloist? What can be done on the Sima and New York Soloist that can't be done on any other maker's trumpets?

Disclosure: I have a Callet Jazz and a Callet Superchops in my collection. They are very nice horns that do what they're designed to do. However, their capabilities are not unique or otherwise exclusive in any respect. In fact, although there are a huge variety of designs available and designs do, indeed, vary in function and performance one to the other, I don't know of any horn that offers a completely unique and truly breakthrough feature, advantage or benefit in functional design or performance unheard of and unavailable in any other trumpet. Thus, my inquiry.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic seems to have gone in two directions – probably based on the OP’s definition of “efficient” as what works for him. There are really three considerations when speaking about efficiency in the playing experience.

When it copmes to perceived ease of play, “what works best” will vary depending on the style of the player. Many posts here and elsewhere seem fitted to that question. A player who manipulates their embouchure by force will prefer a lot of resistance, and will get the best tonal results from a heavier horn that wont over-blow. For that player, trying to be delicate so as not to distort or lose control takes a lot of effort, and range becomes very demanding to attain without the backpressure, thus tiring. BUT, for the finesse player who controls the embouchure with minimal MP pressure, has been gifted with exceptional muscle control, and can play a few octaves on a horn suspended on a string, an open blowing, fast responding horn is what they find easiest. There is no danger of overblowing with playing technique of this kind (what I think at least one poster was alluding to as “efficient” playing, though see my third point below in that regard), so the extra mass and extra resistance that work so well for others, are the more tiring situation for players of this type. Because different people can achieve amazing results in different ways, there is no “right” or “wrong” to this dichotomy, just different – which is why we have such variance in instruments that different people sound amazing (or the opposite) on.

Mechanical efficiency is a different matter, and is what some of us focused our answers on (not sure if rightly or wrongly). This is a matter of energy required or loss depending on how you want to look at it (glass half full/half empty = same thing). Brasswinds are filter-amplifiers. As (most) trumpets are not plugged in, the amplification results entirely from how efficient the filter is at mechanically directing undesirable frequency energy into the desirable spectrum. Much of the energy in the initial pink noise the embouchure interacting with the MP cup delivers is transformed mechanically into that spectrum, but a percentage is also lost to the imperfections in the system. These include wall disruptions sapping energy from the wave front, turbulence, damping effects due to material properties, acoustic couplings and the interference effects, mass placement and the propensity of that mass to resonate constructively, secondary resonances (and interference from), wave front losses based on expansion geometry in leadpipe and bell, mass placement to recover energy at key loss points, and a host of other details. The technology of trumpet design has made considerable leaps forward in the last few decades in this regard, and at the higher price points, this difference can really be noticed – more so by the finesse player than by the force player though.

Finally, returning to the issue of the efficient player, for both force and finesse players, ultimately the attainment of superior embouchure control, shaping of the body behind the embouchure (where Byron used to say half the work of tone production takes place) and refinement of one’s technique, all shape the frequency profile of that pink noise in the cup that the system has to work with. The more useful the input, the “easier” the desired output. That is true regardless of approach to playing or the mechanical efficiencies of the instrument.

For any player, endurance & ease of play will best be attained by recognizing where in the force to finesse spectrum one functions, identifying horns that have features suited to that playing method, identifying within the available options matching that criteria those in which the mechanical efficiencies have been optimized, and above all, refining one’s technique to provide the horn with the “raw material” it needs to do the job.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
J-Walk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is too personal a thing to just plug your existing Monette mouthpiece into a tighter, “more efficient” horn and expect results. I have found that the type of playing I am doing dictates what “efficient” means. I play a different horn and mouthpiece for lead playing than I do for orchestral and classical. The mouthpiece and horns are very different between the two setups, but provide me the “balance” between blow, slotting, and feel that help me achieve the appropriate sound for the various idioms.

Balance between player, horn, and mouthpiece is the end goal in what we often call “efficiency.” For some, efficient means large bore horns and mouthpieces with bigger throats. For some it is the resistance of heavier equipment, and for some, smaller and tighter is key. For others it is a combination of these things. It is a worthwhile journey if you have the help or knowledge you need to figure this all out. If you do not, my suggestion is to stay in the “middle of the road” with equipment and put your focus on practicing with efficiency.
Adams A5
Larson Brasswerks “Reese” Model C
Schilke P5-4 picc
Courtois 154 flugel
A few mouthpieces that fit my face and horns
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks OldSchoolEuph, interesting points. A year or two ago I was one of those "force" players but after taking a year of lessons with a leading "finesse" player I am in that school now (well, learning it at least). So it sounds like your opinion is the lightweight horns will give me the most efficiency.

J-Walk, one reason why I got a Monette mouthpiece is the advice of my teacher. He feels that would add a boost to my efficiency. At first it was in fact harder to play, but after some time on it I find its paying off. One way to think about it is a Monette mouthpiece forces you to either join the finesse camp, or to put it back in the drawer (right, Monette players?).

In general I agree the player is the biggest part of the equation by far. Today I can play much more efficiently on a beater student horn than I could have played on any horn two years ago. But once you are making progress on an efficient embouchure and mouthpiece you start thinking about an efficient horn. I'm probably not going to go out and buy a new horn any time soon, more just trying to understand what people feel about horns and efficiency.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottfsmith wrote:
Thanks OldSchoolEuph, interesting points. A year or two ago I was one of those "force" players but after taking a year of lessons with a leading "finesse" player I am in that school now (well, learning it at least). So it sounds like your opinion is the lightweight horns will give me the most efficiency.

Well, "yes, but". Lighter weight horns tend to be more mechanically efficient if they are well designed and built (Benge, Schilke, Silver Flair, Olds Superstar, Ingram & Shew maybe), but tend also to be bright. There are also mechanically efficient heavy horns such as the Austin Winds Stage 466, trumpets from Taylor (the traditional ones, not the bizarre art creations), trumpets from Harrelson, a heavy Monette, etc., which offer more core and a darker sound without sacrificing efficiency. And, in the middle, you have moderate weight, tonally flexible but fairly efficient horns from Monette, Callet, Flip Oakes, Austin Winds (Stage 470), etc. So while the association to lightweight is strong, its not exclusive because the most efficient horns are so through technology, not mass.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20

Last edited by OldSchoolEuph on Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name some efficient horns?

Okay. A 1969 Schilke B3 and a Gen 1 Yamaha Chicago C. Also a Schilke P5-4. At least with the mouthpiece set-ups I'm using.
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-Walk wrote:
Balance between player, horn, and mouthpiece is the end goal in what we often call “efficiency.”
Exactly!! A horn alone is not efficient unless combined with the right mp/bb and player.
For example, in my case I have found an ideal commercial setup using either a Benge or Calicchio
and tighter backbores. For more classical settings I still haven't found anything
better than my Bach with a deeper cup mp and open backbore.

As J-Walk stated, for me, this produces the perfect 'balance' and helps me achieve
the optimum sound I'm looking for with the least amount of effort.
It indeed is a journey, but a fun one at that to continuously try to improve.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamahaguy wrote:
J-Walk wrote:
Balance between player, horn, and mouthpiece is the end goal in what we often call “efficiency.”
Exactly!! A horn alone is not efficient unless combined with the right mp/bb and player.
For example, in my case I have found an ideal commercial setup using either a Benge or Calicchio
and tighter backbores. For more classical settings I still haven't found anything

As J-Walk stated, for me, this produces the perfect 'balance' and helps me achieve

Exactly.

What this is boiling down to is: you're going to have to try as many as you can and see what works for you - no amount of internet opinion is a substitute for personal experience here.

Whether trying means a horn safari (buy used at reasonable prices, sell at limited/no loss and try something else... Until you find one you like) or finding shops with lots of choice and trying as much as possible, it's got to be the way.
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can name efficient players....

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:

What this is boiling down to is: you're going to have to try as many as you can and see what works for you - no amount of internet opinion is a substitute for personal experience here.

Whether trying means a horn safari (buy used at reasonable prices, sell at limited/no loss and try something else... Until you find one you like) or finding shops with lots of choice and trying as much as possible, it's got to be the way.

Thats more or less what I have been doing, buying reasonable used deals on eBay and selling the ones not working out so well. So far maybe 8 trumpets purchased, three already sold, two to be sold soon, three I am playing now. But these are nearly all inexpensive older horns, for example my LeBlanc cost me $350. For more expensive horns I don't feel as good shooting in the dark even if they are used. This thread has given me some good ideas on directions to look though.

Re: naming efficient players, someone should start a thread on that..
oliver king
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted
LB Bel Canto #59
Holton B47
Frankenhorn projects 1-5
Adams F1
Olds Super Tenor Trombone
Alesis QS8
B2MS3, B2GS3,

Last edited by oliver king on Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSO, your points are very valid :) I agree that in discussing efficiency in playing, the player is more of a factor than the horn. I was just adding my point to say that horn selection can be a factor. I'm also including the mouthpiece and gap as well when talking about equipment.

Supporting your point, a number of years ago I had some dental work done replacing a crown in front, resulting in an embouchure change and having to go back to the drawing board and reestablishing fundamentals-including focusing on efficiency. The result is that after I endured the transition process (while touring) I ended up being a more constant and better player. One's setup can help a player be more efficient, but I agree that first and foremost it's approach.
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottfsmith wrote:

Re: naming efficient players, someone should start a thread on that..

It would be a very long list.

The point I was making is that the horn is only as efficient as the player using it. These so called efficient horns... I think they are using the word efficient in place of other descriptors such as resistant, bright, fast responding etc etc...

I play an S3 - a so called efficient horn, which works great for me. I recently had the chance to play Nakariakov's model of Courtois (not his personal one, but the 303R he plays) and I could barely make half the projection and sound compared to my S3. It was night and day. Presuming that the instrument wasn't assembled incorrectly, or had become out of adjustment (alignment etc...) You might be inclined to say that the S3 is more efficient because it gave more sound for less effort. Well I saw Nakariakov live, and he BURIED an orchestra when he turned it up. I couldn't hold a candle to that projection and sound. Damn near overwhelming, and his presence at pp - perfectly cut through the orchestra. It must be stressed that every note was perfectly executed and his dynamics perfectly served the music. Surely that's efficiency? So is my S3 more efficient because its considered an efficient horn?

The bottom line is to play as many as you can before committing. Find comfort in the level of resistance, and figure out where you like the resistance to be - in you, the mouthpiece, the leadpipe, the bell, the horn, the valve block etc... whether you prefer more or less resistance/feeling of openness in the blow. If you can't answer that you have an expensive trip ahead... or you gotta try more horns.

Truthfully what I think you are referring to as efficient, I think you actually mean RESISTANT. Consider the following to be some horns I found to be more resistant than your average horn.

Conn 60B
XO Ingram
Courtois 303
Early Conn 22B
Buescher 244
Yamaha 6310z
ML37 strad

There are many more, but most of those are horns I have owned for a substantial amount of time. Of all of them including the S3 I now play, the Ingram horn was the easiest to play hands down. I miss that. Ultimately I chose to work a little harder on the S3 for the evenness of timbre from pp thru fffffff. As if I play pp

Have you ever experimented with drill size on the mouthpiece? I tend to find that resistance in the mouthpiece works for me after having a lot of horns. The S3 I play is medium to open but for commercial work I balance that with a small tight mpc and backbore.

Best wishes,
Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
J-Walk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamahaguy wrote:
J-Walk wrote:

Yamahaguy, we sound similar in terms of equipment. I play lead on a Calicchio 1S7 (ML) and a mouthpiece based off a Reeves 40S w/Zinger backbore (28 throat). My legit Bb horn is a Schilke S32HD and a mouthpiece based off a Schilke 15B bored out to a 23 throat. One setup very tight and light, the other very open and a little on the heavier side.

Learning how to be efficient on one setup only helps in how I approach the other.
Adams A5
Larson Brasswerks “Reese” Model C
Schilke P5-4 picc
Courtois 154 flugel
A few mouthpieces that fit my face and horns
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:

Truthfully what I think you are referring to as efficient, I think you actually mean RESISTANT.

I don't think I need resistant, if its a less resistant setup I just back off. My Aubertin/SML trumpet has relatively little resistance, and I still like it a lot. It was harder to play with my Monette for that reason but I eventually got used to it. I have learned to keep coming back to something that didn't work before, sometimes it takes quite awhile to adapt to the sweet spot. It's one reason why I like the eBay approach to finding a good horn.

My latest horn from eBay is a Courtois Privilege 307, curious what you think of that model given your experience with Courtois. I haven't been playing it long enough to form an opinion, still figuring it out. It appears more resistant than my SML, more like my Sonic 707.

bach_again wrote:

Have you ever experimented with drill size on the mouthpiece?

Yes a bit, but after playing Monette style (17 drill or wider) I confess I don't find a lot of difference between a 24 and a 27 drill. I have made some home-brew pieces between Monette and standard, with 19 or so drills, thats a nice zone not sure why nobody is making pieces there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: