• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Case for either 2 trumpet or flugel/trumpet (bought Stomvi)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Case for either 2 trumpet or flugel/trumpet (bought Stomvi) Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend a case which accommodates different configurations depending on what a gig requires. I don't think I'll ever need a flugel and a C trumpet on the same gig (could happen, that's what single cases are for) but trumpet+flugel is very common, and B♭/C/(maybe picc) is another common need.

Seems like most of the high-end bags require an elaborate one-time setup where you customize the interior for your horns. So there will be a spot that's always for your particular flugelhorn, for example.

What I'm looking for is a bag that will let me grab just the horns I need and have them transported safe and sound.

I'm currently using a Reunion Blues triple bag which sort of does this, but I'm less than impressed with its protection, especially for the flugelhorn. It is nice that I can carry any random two horns plus a bunch of mutes. Watch for this bag in the marketplace if I find something better

I know the "what bag should I get" horse has been thoroughly beaten, but I couldn't find a thread with this particular scenario.
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet

Last edited by ayryq on Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
wilcox96
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may consider Fusion, out of the UK. They are super nice folks and make some very versatile bags.

https://www.fusion-bags.com/collections/trumpet

I own the Premium triple trumpet bag. I did have to take the removable padding out, but can fit a large (Bach) flugel, trumpet and all the mutes I need in it. Tons of other pockets on the side for music, ipad, etc.. Can carry with shoulder strap, handles or it has backpack straps. Pretty cool case. It does "seem" big...but honestly, if you compare it with a double case, plus a mute bag...no difference.

The company also makes extra padded, zippered bags for both trumpet and flugel, if you want. My Bach flugel didn't fit in theirs, but I'm sure a smaller (like a Yamaha) flugel would be just fine.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilcox96 wrote:

I own the Premium triple trumpet bag. I did have to take the removable padding out, but can fit a large (Bach) flugel, trumpet and all the mutes I need in it.

How simple is it to take out your flugelhorn and carry a C trumpet instead? Is the configuration pretty "custom" for the particular horns you're carrying?

As I look at all the options I'm beginning to think the best thing would be to have two separate cases: a trumpet/flugel case for jazz gigs, and a double- or compact triple-trumpet case for "legit" gigs, plus a mute bag.
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Messina Covers. Good folks, solid bags.

They make a couple of variations, the 2.5 Airline is awesome, flexible and has a slot on the bottom for music-you wouldn't believe how useful THAT is. I will admit, a little awkward to configure for a Flugel, but works well once adjusted. Easily configured for 2 trumpets & picc. - In a pinch, I've used it for 3 trumpets-a tight squeeze but it did work.

I'm in line to get a triple from Messina as well.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
wilcox96
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fusion bags are completely easy to rearrange to fit whatever you need. It comes with a center bit of padding that is velcro'd in. Easily removable. I couldn't fit my big flugel in there (plus trumpet, mutes..) .

Eh, you know how you will use a bag or bags. If two will work best, great. I have enjoyed this Fusion bag, but I also have a rolling bag, for other circumstances.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The now-discontinued Torpedo Coyote could do exactly what you're describing.

I think it's a shame that Steve discontinued the "legacy Coyote" (as he now describes it) before actually having the new Coyote absolutely ready to ship. He's suggesting that the new Coyote may hit the market in mid-May, but his previous release estimates have been... optimistic, to say the least.

And I will say that his Snarl lid to accommodate top-sprung-valve flugelhorns was a less-than-elegant solution.

But I've had a Coyote for years and it's my everyday case. My standard internal setup holds my Bb, flugel, harmon mute, two spider stands, a Torpedo triple mouthpiece holster, valve oil, leadpipe swab, and a couple of squares of lint-free cleaning/polishing fabric. By moving one internal divider and adding three pads I can convert the mute/spider-stand/mouthpiece space into a piccolo trumpet slot, and I can fit valve oil and mouthpieces in the remaining space.

With a little more work the case can be reconfigured to hold most any combination of two "bigger" piston trumpets (pick any two of: Bb, C, D, Eb) plus either mute/stands/accessories or picc/oil/mouthpieces.

Depending on the height of the valve casings you can get a cornet to fit, but cornets are usually wider so while I've managed Bb/Cornet/accessories, don't expect to squeeze in a third horn.

So maybe scour the Internet for a used Torpedo Coyote.
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two Coyotes for sale on the markeplace right now. I haven't mentioned a budget before but they just might be out of it
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fusion. I have the triple bag and it takes everything I need (except the bass trumpet ...): trumpet, flugel, stand, music, clip micro plus long cable, lamp for music stand, a few mutes, reflector disk for standing micro, lotsa small stuff like oil etc, hat for sunny stages outdoors, ...
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was oddly difficult to find internal pictures of the Fusion bags, but it looks like it has a standard gig-bag system of padded dividers (rather than the velcroed-in support blocks some of the others have). Which would allow me to slip out the flugelhorn and drop in the C with no reconfiguring; exactly what I want.

Brassnose, I see two triple-trumpet Fusion bags, the "urban" and the "premium." Which are you recommending?

Do you have trouble with the two same-direction bells hitting one another? Do you think the Fusion cases offer better protection than my RB Continental?

[Edit to add:] I'm remembering now that I narrowed it down to my Continental and the Fusion Premium when I was shopping a couple years ago. I think I picked the Reunion Blues case because the Fusion was (1) bigger (2) more expensive (3) goofy looking
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the older version of the Urban bag. The difference seems to be the design of the outside pockets; other than that it looks like the new bag on the website.

In fact I just tested it: even my bass trumpet fits ...

I never really have three horns in the bag. The middle slot is for the flugel, facing one way. One of the side slots is for the trumpet, facing the opposite way. The last slot I use for cables and microphone stuff. You could probably also fit all the small stuff in the outside bag and use the third slot for a cornet, D/Eb or picc. But I don’t own any of these so I can’t really tell.

Seriously considering the Premium single bag for either the Bach or the Schmidt for gigs where only one horn is needed.

About goofy looking: I don’t care - being the one single jazz guy and a scientist always made me stick out and I didn’t care 30 years ago, much less today. I just always did things I liked which is a way to be happy in your life. The one single question I care about it: does it work?
1977 Conn 6B
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that information. Looks like (per fusion-bags.com) the current urban triple-trumpet bag has 20mm padding and the premium bag has 30mm padding. The RB bag I've got now claims 1 inch padding, or around 25mm (though it certainly seems like less than that).

The music-stand accessory rack is interesting, not sure what they were thinking with all the velcro pockets.
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The accessory rack is a little stiff but most of my small bottles and brushes and cleaning gear are really in there as are the mouthpieces. It also provides an additional layer of protection on the valve-side top.

I do not take it on stage, though.
1977 Conn 6B
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, fusion premium bag on order. Thanks all. (Anyone want a deal on a Reunion Blues Continental?)
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the Fusion Premium triple-trumpet bag yesterday, and it's not going to work for me. It's really just like the reunion blues bag, with more doo-dads on the outside. I think a new approach (i.e. spending more money) is needed.

I got a pretty good deal, i think, on the Fusion—$300 with tax—so if anyone wants it before I ship it back to Amazon, let me know. I'll be out $16 for return shipping (which seems low; it's a huge box).

I just sent a note to the seller offering a Marcus Bonna triple-trumpet case. If I can use that for Bb/C/picc, then maybe I'll look at a ProTec case for Bb/flugel.

Eric
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
Bach-aha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ayryq wrote:
wilcox96 wrote:

I own the Premium triple trumpet bag. I did have to take the removable padding out, but can fit a large (Bach) flugel, trumpet and all the mutes I need in it.

How simple is it to take out your flugelhorn and carry a C trumpet instead? Is the configuration pretty "custom" for the particular horns you're carrying?

As I look at all the options I'm beginning to think the best thing would be to have two separate cases: a trumpet/flugel case for jazz gigs, and a double- or compact triple-trumpet case for "legit" gigs, plus a mute bag.

There really isn't a do all case for everything. Something has to give somewhere and you have to make a choice. That being said, I own both the Torpedo Coyote and the Fusion Urban Triple.

Coyote (with snip lid for Tpt+Tpt+picc):
Pros: Really really well made case. Great for two full size trumpets and picc. Have flown internationally and domestically with it. I have always been able to bring it on board no problem and put it in the overhead. I would never WANT to check a case...but would feel better if I had to check my horns with this case.

Expensive but worth it for the protection.

Cons:
A little limiting on room for "extra stuff" like oils, tuner, pencils, other materials you might need on a gig.
Heavy. (but I knew this would be the trade off for the protection) I have the wheels and pull handle attached to it...which was great when wheeling from gate to gate in airports...but if I had to do it again, I would have probably ordered without wheels. Now that I'm not doing as much flying with horns...I would consider a compact Marcus Bonna Triple for Tpt Tpt picc needs.

Fusion Urban Triple:

Pros: Really really versatile case. I bought this knowing that I would use this primarily for local commercial/broadway style gigs where I would most likely need Bb/Flugel/picc. In the rare cases that I've needed to bring 4 horns to a gig I've been able to fit Bb/C/Flugel and put the picc in the extra sleeve that you can buy. I've even used this as Bb/C/picc in the flugel spot for some gigs where I just wanted a lighter option for traveling.

Lots of room for extra pencils, post it notes, tabs, music, , music stand, stand light, batteries, supplies..all the stuff you would need on pit gig. Easy to know that I have everything I need ready to go in one rig. Just gotta transfer the horns over into the bag.

Cons:

Lightweight...fair amount of protection. It's not going to protect like the Torpedo Bag...but I know this and wouldn't use it for the same situations. This bag would never be brought on a plane, or anywhere where I'd have to let it out of my possession.

The dividers aren't as sturdy as I would like and after a year or so they are starting to fold over. I could possible supplement some padding from other cases that I have such as the pro tec triple.

OP: Perhaps if you don't need bullet proof protection...the Pro Tec Triple is nice and can fit three horns or reconfigure for Bb and Flugel. Just have to readjust things as needed. Just part of the game. That was my main case for three horns before I went the Torpedo/Fusion Route. Now its used for storage or back up case. Downside, is the Pro Tecs don't hold up to use as well and they need to be replaced depending on how much you put them through.

In the end, I decided it was easier to just get two different cases that were versatile enough to do what I need to do for most situations. Having the right tools for your gear is important and a personal preference. I hope you find what works best for you in the end.
wiemelen
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stomvi quad case?
Should be big enough for a trumpet + (big) flugel + extra stuff.

When I would use my Protec triple case for B-trumpet & Kanstul 1525, I need to remove all inside padding to make it fit. So that is no option for me.
Cornet : Conn 80a (1919) with Curry 1,5 BBC + Curry 1,5 VC + GR L66,9 #6
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiemelen wrote:
Stomvi quad case?

I just watched Stomvi's video about this case and it looks great. It seems it would be very simple/quick to reconfigure from quad-trumpet "mode" to trumpet+flugel mode.
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
lgt0412
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiseman has exactly what the OP requested. It is the most protective case I have ever found and can be configured (and reconfigured) to carry whatever you need for that particular gig. I use mine mainly for Bb and flugel, but it can be reconfigured to add a Pic. or for any combination of 2-3 trumpets/cornets in any key .... either piston or rotary. They are not cheap. But I always am amazed at how little some people are willing to pay for the thing that protects their THOUSANDS of dollars of instruments!! The Wiseman also comes with a lifetime warranty on all parts and pieces. And if you get a new horn they can send you new inserts for that setup at any time. I have never regretted buying mine!!!
Conn 38B
Van Laar BR3 Flugel
Blessing Super Artist cornet
Greg Black Mouthpieces
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I've found is available for the trumpeter who needs a random selection of horns (is there anything I've missed in my taxonomy?):

1. Multiple single cases. I've done this, juggling (for example) a flugel and a Bb in hard cases, with a music stand and a bag with music, across a busy county fairgrounds. Doing this one two many times led to option 2:

1.5. Multiple multiple-horn cases. Have multiple triple- or quad-case semi-permanently configured for common situations. For me this would have required a sacrifice in quality in order to be affordable. Something like an iPac triple (for Bb/C/picc) and a Protec Mike Vax (for flugel+trumpet).

2. Gig-bag style. A tall gig bag with padded dividers can handle flugels and trumpets interchangeably, and unused slots can be used for mutes and stuff. The old Reunion Blues (Cronkite) doubler bags were the standard for this; I bought a modern RB Continental which has a more annoying lid and hard panels in the sides. The Fusion (which I bought and returned) is an evolution of this: similar on the inside but with extra pockets, backpack straps, and some positioning blocks. Messina Covers is a high-end version.

2.5. Gig-bag with positioning blocks. I wasn't sure where to put the Gard suspension bags. They're like a hybrid between a gig bag and the more protective (but less easily reconfigured) category below.

3. Velcro reconfigurable hard case. Marcus Bonna, and the Protec ipac. I think the Torpedo Coyote falls in this category as well. Velcro blocks let you set up a custom interior. Changing horns requires pulling blocks out and redesigning. Certainly possible but I think this sort of bag is probably best left in one configuration: velcro does eventually wear out. I nearly bought a Marcus Bonna triple from the marketplace; if there hadn't been a delay while the seller talked to another interested party I might have wound up with this option.

4. Non-velcro reconfigurable hard case. Stomvi/Bags of Spain is the only case I've found like this. The dividers and blocks get wedged in place. As demonstrated in Stomvi's video this can be done quickly and non-destructively. I've ordered one of these bags directly from Stomvi and expect to have it in a few weeks.

5. Custom configured case (with multiple configurations). As far as I can tell this is how the Wiseman case works. The inserts are bespoke for your instruments, and can be removed and replaced with different ones for different instruments.
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Case for either 2 trumpet or flugel/trumpet Reply with quote

ayryq wrote:
Can anyone recommend a case......

......Seems like most of the high-end bags require an elaborate one-time setup where you customize the interior for your horns. ........

.....What I'm looking for is a bag that will let me grab just the horns I need and have them transported safe and sound.

I guess you need to decide whether a case or bag will be the best compromise, as others have mentioned, there is no perfect solution.
I have a newer (made by Torpedo) Cronkhite Super Triple, great for Bb, flugel and “stuff”; iPad, iPad mike stand holder, two horn stands, two water bottles, mouthpieces, oil. Not heavy, good protection for a BAG, but it’s not a more protective but HEAVIER case. If I need a flugel but want more protection, I use my Torpedo Outlaw Loredo (single) and Reunion Blues Continental single flugel case. I can still safely get all the above “stuff” in the two cases. Oh yeah, and the horns too.😉

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: