• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How Do You Visualize Chords

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: How Do You Visualize Chords Reply with quote

Letters or numbers?

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of improvisation I don't visualize them at all. Improvisation is about pitches and relative pitches, the name of the chord doesn't matter. Your pitches and relative pitches either go with the chord (whatever it is) or they don't. The more thinking you have to do the worse off you are. Your goal is to make this instinctive based on what you hear. As quickly as things go by you really don't have time to analyze chords as you're playing an improvisational solo. I try to know the basic key of the chart and let my analysis go at that. You can hear the rest. The challenge is to respond accurately to what you hear.
djpearlman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The letters and numbers of chords are useful when learning a tune or sight reading, but I don't "visualize" them once I understand the tune, I just hear them. Knowing what the chords "are" in terms of letters and numbers is the starting point, not the end point of improvisation, in my experience. - dan

- Monette Cornette
- Andalusia Cornet
- Carolbrass Pocket Trumpet
- Monette mouthpieces

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5NafoVeXrsRm-fOhKaIpnA
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How Do You Visualize Chords Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
Letters or numbers?

I suppose I do both at the same time. For example, when I see an A minor chord in a passage that is in G, I acknowledge that it's A minor and that it's a II chord. But it's mostly in the back of my mind.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to take tunes I am working on to the piano. That's where the chord symbols in things like the Real Books come in handy. When I later play them on the trumpet I can remember the visual layout of a particular chord on the keyboard. But when performing improvisation my ear is what is doing the work and not any knowledge of what the chords are, either their key or number. I don't "see" anything except maybe lyrics.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than think of the chords in the context of the key of the overall song, I translate sets of chords within the song into II-V-I or II-bII-I cadences in other keys, and then think in terms of the key transitions behind these 'false' cadences. It is much easier to ad lib melodic constructions using this approach (at least I find it so).

This was one of the most useful 'secrets' I learned in the jazz theory and improvisation classes at the Wisconsin Conservatory of Music.
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, some interesting replies to this query.

I think you may perhaps have to do both, depending on context. When I play guitar, I mostly think of I, IV, V, etc. relative to the fretboard, and not so much as individual stacked notes such as C, E, G, Bb, etc., as I do when playing a wind instrument.

It has been amazing during my career how many otherwise competent musicians I have known that could not "spell" a chord (telling the names of the notes out loud) from bottom to top, and their inversions without writing them out.

Likewise, many fine players I have known were not fluent in the sense of being able to play all 12 major scales by ear (without reading them off of a staff), and being able to convert those scales in their mind's eye and on their instrument into modal scales, all the forms of minor scales, whole-tone scales, etc.

BUT, many of these players were fine improvisors, sight readers, studio players, and competent section players....

In my case, my ability to "spell" chords out loud from my mind, to navigate the fingerings of scales, and other things musical was perhaps developed further (than innate ability) by arranging for marching bands and other ensembles, including choirs, and the act of writing the notes down on a piece of staff paper manually, and later using a mouse and keyboard.

Transcribing horn parts off of pop recordings as a youngster helped my abilities in this regard, also. I guess this helped me to "visualize" chords and sequences of notes, I dunno..

I have known fine keyboard players that could improvise, comp, etc. without a great deal of knowledge of the note names and "stacking"...in other words, they played "by ear", whatever that means...

So, "visualizing" a chord, scale, or whatever could be a different thing for almost everybody. One of the fascinating things about talent (however that is defined).

Ya know, this would make a fine Doctoral Dissertation...I have worn myself out just thinking about it...think I am going to bed now...

Whew!

Regards, Dave
McH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The key of D is daffodil yellow, B major is maroon and B flat is blue" -- Marion McPartland
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do keys really have their own moods?
Eb major, The key of love, of devotion, of intimate conversation with God. D minor is the saddest of all keys.

Greeks believed this and the thought continued in the medieval period. It was called "Rationalism" - Pythagorean Theory based on harmonics. Unfortunately, Pythagoras and his students realized that irrational numbers actually do exist and they burned down their library on a secluded island and walked into the sea drowning themselves.

Key and mode descripitions from Marc-Antoine Charpentier's "Regles de Composition ca. 1682

Key Descriptive comments

C major - gay and warlike
C minor - obscure and sad
D major - joyous snd sad
D minor - serious and pious
Eb major- cruel and hard
E major - quarrelson and boisterous
E minor - effeminate, amorous, plaintive
F major - furious and quick-tempered subjects
F minor - obscure and plaintive
G major - serious and magnificent
G minor - serious and magnificent
A major - joyful and plaintive
A minor -tender and plaintive
B major -harsh and plaintive
B minor -solitary and melancholic
Bb major- magnificent and joyful
Bb minor -obscure and terrible
---------------------------------------------
I hate the key of e minor.
It gives me the e-b-g-b's.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keyboard!
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PH wrote:
Keyboard!
That's what Phil Woods always said he did. And regardless of the key of the sax, he visualized a concert-pitch keyboard.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually think of notation on a staff. I try to follow the root-motion pretty solidly; and typically don't bother visualizing the rest of the chord (I use my ears for that). But sometimes I'll be visualizing notation of a line, such as a guide-tone line, instead of the roots.

I'm not sure if I can accurately describe how and why, but thinking of root motion or harmonic lines makes it easier for me to think "into the future" by a few extra bars. It assists me in thinking where the phrase should be going.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a good about the subject. It's available from various sources including Amazon and libraries.

https://www.press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/T/bo3697073.html

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
beagle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

solo soprano wrote:
Eb major, The key of love, of devotion, of intimate conversation with God. D minor is the saddest of all keys.

Not so much now as they used to.

The description of the moods of the keys you give was written before equal temperament.

Equal temperament means that the intervals between each semitone are made to be exactly the same. Prior to this, notes were tuned using the overtone series (i.e. what we get on the trumpet when we play different notes with the same fingering). As the ancient Greeks already realised, the distance between semitones using this method is not constant. As a result the different keys sounded very different.

Bach wrote a collection of pieces under the name of "The Well-Tempered Clavier" to show off this new method of equal temperament tuning in the early eighteenth century.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beagle wrote:
Bach wrote a collection of pieces under the name of "The Well-Tempered Clavier" to show off this new method of equal temperament tuning in the early eighteenth century.
Bach's "well-tempered" was not equal temperament. A well-tempered instrument can play in remote keys, but not all keys sound the same. In equal temperament, intervals in all keys are created equal, with the same ratio of frequencies.

Actual equal-tempered tunings were not widely adopted until the early 20th century. Acceptance of the equal-tempered major third was difficult. There are still many contexts where it's not not best choice, and there are still musicians who steadfastly refuse to accept that an equal-tempered major third can be considered "in tune."

The ratio of the twelfth root of two, as the definition of a semitone, was proposed as early as the early 16th century, but not widely published until the late 19th century. It took a few decades for it to propagate to ensembles, players, manufacturers, and tuners.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
beagle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:
beagle wrote:
Bach's "well-tempered" was not equal temperament. A well-tempered instrument can play in remote keys, but not all keys sound the same. In equal temperament, intervals in all keys are created equal, with the same ratio of frequencies.

Actual equal-tempered tunings were not widely adopted until the early 20th century. Acceptance of the equal-tempered major third was difficult. There are still many contexts where it's not not best choice, and there are still musicians who steadfastly refuse to accept that an equal-tempered major third can be considered "in tune."

The ratio of the twelfth root of two, as the definition of a semitone, was proposed as early as the early 16th century, but not widely published until the late 19th century. It took a few decades for it to propagate to ensembles, players, manufacturers, and tuners.

Thanks very much for this info. I never realised that well-tempered is not the same as equal temperament.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

solo soprano wrote:

Greeks believed this and the thought continued in the medieval period. It was called "Rationalism" - Pythagorean Theory based on harmonics. Unfortunately, Pythagoras and his students realized that irrational numbers actually do exist and they burned down their library on a secluded island and walked into the sea drowning themselves.

Key and mode descripitions from Marc-Antoine Charpentier's "Regles de Composition ca. 1682

Key Descriptive comments

C major - gay and warlike
C minor - obscure and sad
D major - joyous snd sad
D minor - serious and pious
Eb major- cruel and hard
E major - quarrelson and boisterous
E minor - effeminate, amorous, plaintive
F major - furious and quick-tempered subjects
F minor - obscure and plaintive
G major - serious and magnificent
G minor - serious and magnificent
A major - joyful and plaintive
A minor -tender and plaintive
B major -harsh and plaintive
B minor -solitary and melancholic
Bb major- magnificent and joyful
Bb minor -obscure and terrible
---------------------------------------------
I hate the key of e minor.
It gives me the e-b-g-b's.

this makes how many account of the same event, the death of pythagoras, all colorful and in their ways improbable. i sort of think he slunk off somewhere and lived out his years shutting up about math and his former glory. the ancient world had a lot of places you could hide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: