• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

best electric razor

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gnhas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject: best electric razor Reply with quote

Hi...my dad has just started radiation on his face/neck after having a tennis ball-sized tumor in his parotid gland removed. He was told at the first radiation treatment session to switch to an electric razor because it would be easier on his skin, once the radiation progresses. Does anyone know what the gentlest razor would be, or would he be better to just stop shaving? I know he doesn't like having whiskers. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Gnhas on Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:07 am; edited 1 time in total
grune

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: best electric razor Reply with quote

Gnhas wrote:
Hi...my dad has just started radiation on his face/neck after having a tennis ball-sized tumor in his parotid gland removed. He was told at the first radiation treatment session to switch to an electric razor because it would be easier on his skin, once the radiation progresses. Does anyone know what the gentlest razor would be, or would he be better to just stop shaving? I know he doesn't like having whiskers. Any help would be appreciated.

A very odd post in a trumpet forum! Other than a blade, my vote would go to Panasonic. And, sincerest sympathies and well wishes to your dad and family.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pleased with an inexpensive Remington brand corded 'Norelco rotary' copy. I got it to replace a newish cordless Norelco that died after about 5 months.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the gentlest razor I've ever used: LINK
It uses 2 AA batteries that last a reasonable amount of time.

This is gentler than any of the foil razors I've used.

I've owned several Norelcos, Remingtons, Brauns, and a Panasonic travel razor. Nothing beats this travel Norelco if you're looking for gentle.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, for those of us trumpet players who frequently shave, we might want to seriously consider this as a post to which we could relate. I occasionally notice a slight hesitancy when shaving the area just above my upper center lip, where the mouthpiece rests. Sometimes, I've gotten a little too "close," and it's caused more sensitivity than what I'd prefer. I wonder if this has ever been a concern and if any of you have found a specific method/technique/equipment to safely get the job done. Prayers to the OP, dad, and family.
murph66
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always preferred a Norelco. Since I retired in 2000, I don't make shaving a daily activity. Many razors that use a foil head with the small holes have problems with a 3 or 4 day beard. Norelco just sails right through it. Also, the model I have is waterproof and I can shave while taking a shower if I desire. Soap can make for an easy shave.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought my 4th Norelco today (#3 suffered a fatal crack in the head assembly after 10+ years). My second Norelco is now at a vacation location in another state and still going strong - and more importantly gentle. Ive used them for 38 years or so. For a brass player, the ability to focus the heads in tighter locations is helpful. For this situation, I believe they have models designed to work with oils or water to make shaving less irritating (and they are already pretty decent in that regard).

Best to your Dad, and I hope this helps.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
Actually, for those of us trumpet players who frequently shave, we might want to seriously consider this as a post to which we could relate. I occasionally notice a slight hesitancy when shaving the area just above my upper center lip, where the mouthpiece rests. Sometimes, I've gotten a little too "close," and it's caused more sensitivity than what I'd prefer. I wonder if this has ever been a concern and if any of you have found a specific method/technique/equipment to safely get the job done. Prayers to the OP, dad, and family.

Long ago I gave up trying to shave that part above the upper lip. Same goes for the top of the soul patchbelow the lower lip. Since I almost always sport a mustache I simply use a smallish beard trimmer. The ones I've used almost never nip the skin or shave too close. If I preferred no facial hair I have no idea what I'd do.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phillips "one blade"
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess there’s no harm, but why is this being discussed here?

Brad
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me a wet shave only with a multi bade razor. Shave correctly after you shower or bath and your shave will be much smoother and cleaner.
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brad
i guess we are discussing this because we all have faces that we press mouthpieces against.
i use the philips norelco $10. travel razor when going electric. the rotating head is pretty well worked out. this unit has been mentioned above.
there are a lot of tricks and know how in shaving. i wet shave mostly and also have a nice collection of vintage straight razors.
back to know how. wetting the face does a trick. it will soften the face hair. better is to wash the face with soap, once or twice, twice being better, removing dirt and allowing better shaving. going a further step a hot washcloth can sit on the face a couple of minutes and really soften facial hair. all this will lessen facial burn.
shaving like trumpet playing is an area where you can get unbelievably fussy, your silver tip badger shaving brushes, having tried umpteen british shaving soaps, every which manner of razor, sharpening and stropping your straight razors, on and on.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is without doubt the most genius trollpost ever, I really enjoy the answers and at the same time it’s a tool for selecting the members here of whom you never have to read a post again. Thanks OP!

Last edited by delano on Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
brad
i guess we are discussing this because we all have faces that we press mouthpieces against.
i use the philips norelco $10. travel razor when going electric. the rotating head is pretty well worked out. this unit has been mentioned above.
there are a lot of tricks and know how in shaving. i wet shave mostly and also have a nice collection of vintage straight razors.
back to know how. wetting the face does a trick. it will soften the face hair. better is to wash the face with soap, once or twice, twice being better, removing dirt and allowing better shaving. going a further step a hot washcloth can sit on the face a couple of minutes and really soften facial hair. all this will lessen facial burn.
shaving like trumpet playing is an area where you can get unbelievably fussy, your silver tip badger shaving brushes, having tried umpteen british shaving soaps, every which manner of razor, sharpening and stropping your straight razors, on and on.

Ok,makes sense I guess.

Brad
bear30101

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whichever electric shaver you use, I suggest "Lectric Shave" pre-shave lotion.
It reduces friction very well.
We wish good fortune to you and your father.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP is a verbatim copy of a post from 2012 appearing on a different website.

"Let me Google this for you" link:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=I+know+he+doesn%27t+like+having+whiskers.

PM to Moderators sent.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philips / Norelco Triple headed razors give the best shave and are the most comfortable out of all the electrics I’ve tried.

Suggest to your dad that he sucks on Popsicles or ice chips during the radiation treatments. The mouth lining is composed of fast growth cells which are damaged by chemo and also radiation done in the general area of the neck and mouth, causing painful mouth ulcers. If you cool the mouth lining tissue by sucking on ice or Popsicles during the radiation this slows the metabolism of the cells lining the mouth and significantly reduces or illuminates mouth ulcers.

Edit: I see now from a recent post that the OP is just a troll. Oh well, I’ll leave up the info as maybe it will be helpful to the decent people.
trombino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pimped out my Norelco with heavy blades. So much closer shave.
Hi-Note76

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
I guess there’s no harm, but why is this being discussed here?

Brad

Awfully suspicious isn't it. It's the guy's first post. Completely unrelated to trumpet playing. And the subject line of the thread doesn't even disguise that fact.

Moderators have just days ago deleted threads that were more related to trumpet playing than this one, yet they let this one continue.

Clearly, the moderators don't have the kind of integrity, judgment, or both that are befitting of the position of a forum moderator because they are being very subjective and selective about the way in which they're enforcing their rules.

It even seems likely that a moderator could have been the one to start this thread just to get his jollies showing people that he can allow/deny anything he wants at his own discretion. If that's the case, then that qualifies as psychologically questionable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: