• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Which of the two trumpets?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PDXbugler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BraeGrimes wrote:

It's not where it's made or what guarantee it's been given - it's how it's made and who's backing the warranty (and what IS covered under warranty). There've been plenty of decent horns made all over the world. Italy isn't known as a mecca for trumpet making, but the AR Resonance horns are beautifully made! China is often associated with marker factories and I've seen factories that produce instruments with MANY well known (as well as lesser known) brands stamped on them. Some companies (ahem, sorry to be the 'Yamaha' guy, but yes, us) create factories which uphold the same standards and practices in a different country. I know Besson/Buffet have done this too, and I know some companies who are infamous for their inconsistency often make everything in house.

It's been my point too... simply because it's manufactured in China doesn't make it a substandard product.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: what trumpet did you buy. Reply with quote

I am curious what trumpet was recommended . Do you mind sharing how your nephew likes the trumpet.
Vincent Bach 5 B short shank mouthpiece
PDXbugler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: what trumpet did you buy. Reply with quote

jondrowjf@gmail.com wrote:
I am curious what trumpet was recommended . Do you mind sharing how your nephew likes the trumpet.

Hello, I purchased the Allora ATR-250S for considerably less than the listed price, thanks to a friendly musician. Before gifting it, I took it to a technician at a reputable music store that's been in the area for decades. He inspected and tested it and said it's good for being a Chinese product. He mentioned that he could nitpick, but the horn is fine.

I then presented it to my nephew and his excitement and ear to ear smile were priceless; worth the hours spent trying to balance value and budget. I feel comfortable that the 3-year warranty will suffice, as I expect he will be ready to upgrade before then. Thank you for asking.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: what trumpet did you buy. Reply with quote

PDXbugler wrote:
jondrowjf@gmail.com wrote:

Hello, I purchased the Allora ATR-250S for considerably less than the listed price, thanks to a friendly musician. Before gifting it, I took it to a technician at a reputable music store that's been in the area for decades. He inspected and tested it and said it's good for being a Chinese product. He mentioned that he could nitpick, but the horn is fine.

I then presented it to my nephew and his excitement and ear to ear smile were priceless; worth the hours spent trying to balance value and budget. I feel comfortable that the 3-year warranty will suffice, as I expect he will be ready to upgrade before then. Thank you for asking.

Congratulations. I hope this gives your nephew more excitement and focus in his trumpet development.
PDXbugler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: what trumpet did you buy. Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

Congratulations. I hope this gives your nephew more excitement and focus in his trumpet development.

Thank you!
Moderators
TH Moderator Group

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread cleaned up. Personal attacks are against the UA. If you have a problem with a poster PM the Moderators, DO NOT fight it out in the thread.
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis78 wrote:
They’re both decent student grade trumpets with many happy owners. I would get the Allora since it’s real silver plate. Nickel is cool until it needs repair

Chinese horns can seem ok but if they need repair................
PDXbugler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:30 pm    Post subject: Long term review Reply with quote

I wish to share a follow-up for anyone else considering an Allora trumpet.

I gifted the Allora ATR-250 to my nephew in the summer of 2019 and it served him well. While peers were needing to repair their Mendini and Eastar horns, he had no issue other than expected maintenance.

My nephew enjoyed it so much, that when it came time to step up, being a high school student with a part-time job and a budget, he chose the ATR-450. This is the trumpet that got him through the rest of his high school years.

It's not a Bach or Yamaha, but it served its purpose. I suspect the Jean Paul TR-330 would've performed well too. His friend had an LJ Hutchen Bb, but I don't know whether it was as trouble free or not.

I noticed the ATR-250 is $500 now!
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Allora AATR-125. It is a pretty decent horn, and well built. I have another Alllora branded horn that is one of the worst I have seen in both quality as an instrument and construction.

Allora is a brand. The instruments are sourced globally from an assortment of fabricators. Some of them can be great finds for the money. The hitch of course is that, because these are sourced from many shops, there are no spare parts. So if it breaks, it's broke.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
PDXbugler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
I have an Allora AATR-125. It is a pretty decent horn, and well built. I have another Alllora branded horn that is one of the worst I have seen in both quality as an instrument and construction.

Allora is a brand. The instruments are sourced globally from an assortment of fabricators. Some of them can be great finds for the money. The hitch of course is that, because these are sourced from many shops, there are no spare parts. So if it breaks, it's broke.

What's the model of the bad quality horn?
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXbugler wrote:
pinstriper wrote:
Honestly, the criteria of "new" and $250 are at crossed purposes with gifting him a horn worth the having.

The triple constraint applies. Change at least one criteria. Either spend more, don't get new, or don't get him a trumpet - consider a few lessons with a GOOD teacher.

You're seriously saying that no trumpet is better than an inexpensive trumpet? As mentioned, I realize the forum is for upper echelon musicians and trumpets, but that seems haughty. I won't feel shamed for being on a strict budget and wishing to provide a gift.

He's saying paying for trumpet lessons on a presumably rented instrument is a third option.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
PDXbugler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JetJaguar wrote:

He's saying paying for trumpet lessons on a presumably rented instrument is a third option.

The discussion is years old at this point, but the inquiry was regarding which trumpet to purchase, not whether to purchase one. It's water under the bridge and I'm pleased the right decision was made.
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

This forum definitely isn’t limited or even dominated by upper echelon musicians.

But it does include teachers who have experience with these inexpensive instruments. Listen to them when they share their student’s experiences.

If you decide to purchase one of these, consider the disappointment if the instrument becomes difficult to play, as pointed out by Brad. Trying to use a trumpet with sticking valves might cause your nephew to quit or not reach his potential.

Well said!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: