• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Is this Natural Trumpet easier to learn than other trumpets?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAZARUSBLUE

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Is this Natural Trumpet easier to learn than other trumpets? Reply with quote

I saw this trumpet over the internet. https://www.brassforbeginners.com/collections/instruments/products/bfb-natural-trumpet
They call it the BfB Natural Trumpet and say its good for beginners to learn... Seems like it has no valves so that players can focus just on blowing... Does this makes it easier to play for a beginner than conventional trumpets? Your feedback will be much appreciated.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While going by the video it doesn't sound as hideously bad as Bb pvc trumpets, if a kid is going to learn trumpet unless someone can present a really compelling argument to the contrary, I think they should begin learning on a conventional Bb trumpet.

This seems like a novelty and it might be fun but not a genuinely useful teaching tool, that verbiage sounds like something concocted by a marketing person. I would say explore this after gaining some proficiency on a conventional trumpet.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the natural trumpet, but a baroque trumpet as inexpensive as their other horn is intriguing.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Is this Natural Trumpet easier to learn than other trump Reply with quote

LAZARUSBLUE wrote:
Does this makes it easier to play for a beginner than conventional trumpets?

No.

If you can play a natural trumpet, you can make this sound reasonable (in the same way that if you can play a regular trumpet you can make a plastic trumpet sound reasonable).
I was given one of these to use as a teaching tool - if you can get a whole class of beginners all playing the same pitch on this "instrument" then you are doing a better job than I could
I occasionally use it with my more advanced students if they start showing an interest in natural trumpet music and playing.

(it is SLIGHTLY better than just using a hosepipe, but only slightly)
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real question needs to be ‘what problem does this piece of plastic solve?’

To me, it has no real need to be, s there is no problem solved. It would actually make things less appealing to kids as they can’t play any melodic material and would be limited to only 3 or 4 notes when they could play an activate and a lots of melodies in the same time frame.

Like a P-trumpet, a waste of time. And money.

Cheers

Andy
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
The real question needs to be ‘what problem does this piece of plastic solve?’

Absolutely

Solves no problems
Creates MANY
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addressing the OP's original question of "Is this natural trumpet easier to play than other natural trumpets?"
I have not tried one of these, but looking at it:
1. It uses a modern mouthpiece. That might make it a little easier to play than one using a historic replica mouthpiece. The question is, what are you trying to achieve. Do you want to learn to play a natural trumpet? Or do you want to do exercises to improve your modern trumpet playin? If you want to learn the natural trumpet and play historical music, this is probably not what you are looking for. Even the video clearly positions it as a teaching tool for young trumpet players to give them a greater appreciation for how the trumpet works. If you want it for that purpose, it might be of some use.
2. It has no tuning slide. This renders it pretty difficult to play with other instruments. The website fails to mention what key it is in, only saying that it is pitched for modern pitches (A=440). Is it in D, C or what? Basically this looks like a long bugle, so some fundamental lower than a Bb or G bugle.
3. The demo is by someone who can play natural trumpet to a certain extent. However, the multipart fanfare is played all by the same guy. Since there is no tuning slide, four different people might sound off pitch to each other.
4. I certainly do not think this would be very helpful for learning natural trumpet as a performing instrument. But if you wanted to fool around with the natural harmonic series to see how it relates to modern trumpet playing, you could use this, or a piece of hose of the right length with a funnel stuck in the end and your Bb mouthpiece stuck in the other end.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just hand out vuvuzelas?
BfB

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Why use a natural trumpet for beginners? Reply with quote

Hello Lazarus Blue et al,
Chris here, from Brass for Beginners (the guy in the video). We just joined trumpet herald and got around to posting something on our vented horn, the BfB Baroque™, which you can view here: https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1567811#1567811

As far as this thread goes, there are a lot of good issues brought up here, so I will try to answer them more or less in order:

1. The question, "Is this Natural Trumpet easier to learn than other trumpets?" doesn't quite get to the point of how or why one might choose to use the instrument as a beginners' teaching tool. The question, ‘what problem does this piece of plastic solve?’ is more to the point. It isn't really a question of being easier or harder, but a question of the pedagogical priorities in the beginning stages of development. Put most simply, the use of the natural trumpet limits the variables, helping students focus on the development of critical fundamentals and aural skills before they get a modern brass instrument. The lower to middle partials of the natural trumpet, which are easily accessible for beginners, puts the focus on hearing and reproducing pitches and intervals that are inherent to all modern brass instruments.
The perennial problem that band director’s face is that brass students associate notes on the staff with a valve combination or slide position. By learning the harmonic series, students will develop a connection between audiation and lip-blown pitch vibration, rather than to rely on valves or slides to find the notes. To learn about the philosophy behind the use of the natural trumpet, visit: https://www.brassforbeginners.com/pages/the-natural-trumpet
Some might ask why not use a bugle (or a vuvuzela for that matter), but a bugle is half the length of a natural trumpet pitched in the same key, putting the harmonic series for the most part out of reach for a beginner, and a hosaphone, while instructive about how the harmonic series works, unfortunately cannot be made to play the lower partials in tune, which are the ones that are needed for beginners. For more information on why the trumpet is a compelling teaching tool, check links on this page: https://www.brassforbeginners.com/pages/beginning-brass

2. Our trumpet was designed with the help of top music acousticians, to sound and feel like an authentic replica, while putting the lower partials even more in tune than most. It doesn’t have a tuning slide because it is a classroom instrument, and in a classroom with lots of children, anything that can move, will move. Again, the lack of any moving parts helps to keep the focus on developing critical skills.

3. Just for the record:! I am a not a marketing person. I am a teacher, 20 years at the Music Institute of Chicago, and professional musician, having played in orchestras in the US, South America, China, Singapore, and Japan. Studied with Vincent Cichowicz and played in Civic Orchestra of Chicago, having seen the late Adolph Herseth for coachings on a weekly basis. Not saying this to “blow my own trumpet,” but to say that this program was not developed by marketing people.

4. Robert P: If you have beginning level or intermediate valve trumpet student, this horn is a great addition to their lessons, or even home practice. It helps them to refine sense of pitch and develop the ear. Also, it is a great way to get them thinking about how the instrument was used historically, and how it relates to what they play on the modern trumpet.

5. Trumpetmike: This program is not about teaching students how to play a natural trumpet, it is about teaching them the fundamentals of brass playing, using the natural trumpet as the teaching tool. Very curious who gave you one of our trumpets? John Wallace? Have you taught in a group class with this? If you have a group of 30 kids, it is unlikely that all of them will be on the same pitch, but you have missed one of the best parts of using this instrument in group lessons, which is that all intervals in the lower to middle register are consonant. This means that students can play a “wrong note” and be successful while they develop their pitch awareness and refine lip-vibration. We have many programs running in the US and UK, and so far the feedback has been extremely positive.

6. If someone tells you that our natural trumpet is only slightly better than a hosepipe, they have not actually compared it. Our horn is, however, slightly better than some historic replicas in terms of how the harmonic series sits in the lower register.

7. Andy Dell: Good question about the melodic material. There is a whole other element to this program that puts students in touch with the origins and meaning of music itself. Although you will really need to get a hold of the student book to see what actual “music” is included, you can hear it all played by people like Brian Shaw, Crispian Steele-Perkins, Gabriele Cassone, and Terry Everson, to name a few, on the student resources pages at http://www.bfbresources.com/
There is a story that tells the history of lip-blown instruments and explains important aspects of learning music, narrated by Karl Davies (a GOT actor) which you can hear here: http://www.bfbresources.com/hear-ragnars-amazing-sounds/
This program inspired students’ creativity in ways that learning Hot Cross Buns cannot. Find out about the book here:https://www.brassforbeginners.com/collections/curriculum/products/around-the-world-in-twenty-one-trumpets-student-edition
About interdisciplinary methodology here: https://www.brassforbeginners.com/pages/what_is_bfb

8.Trumpet mike: would be interested to hear about the “problems this horn creates”

9. Cgaiii: Thanks for the thoughtful points!
1. I can see why the video could be confusing- it was meant just to show that the horn sounds and plays like a “real” natural trumpet, but its use for beginners is really for the lower partials. That being said, we have sold lots of these horns to high school and college programs that want students to have a chance play some 19th century trumpet ensemble repertoire, to challenge their ears and introduce them to early music. Even with the lack of a tuning slide, you can get the pitch very close to 440 with a modern mouthpiece. You will find that the Nat is quite a bit more flexible pitch-wise than the modern trumpet. If you want a low-cost, fully tunable Nat that can be played with vents, check out our BfB Baroque™: https://www.brassforbeginners.com/collections/instruments/products/bfb-baroque-1
2. Re: what key does it play in: OMG! How did we miss that!! It plays in C, allowing you to use it with other classroom instruments like recorder or Orf. We even have people using it with Kid’s Rock and Mariachi backtracks. Just added to the website- thanks for that!!!
3. You might be surprised how well this trumpet works as a Nat for intermediate to advanced players, but again, we do have a vented horn to take that next step. As I said earlier, the hosaphone is not a solution. I wish it were- it all would have been so much easier!

Thanks for all the insights!

Chris at BfB
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it is stated that this trumpet (bugle) is pitched in the key of "C", where is the fundamental? i.e. is the 2nd harmonic "C" (an octave above "pedal" C) on the 2nd space in bass clef? This would give you a usable diatonic scale starting on 2nd line "G" in the treble clef (except for a terribly sharp second space "A", and no "B" natural).

A more-or-less "true" diatonic C scale would be available on third space C and up, with some of the notes having to be "lipped" into tune to fit modern (or, practically, keyboard) intonation, mainly above G on top of the staff.

The "C" tuning of this instrument would probably render it fairly useless for use as a natural "Baroque" trumpet, which most, if I am not mistaken, were pitched lower (and were, of course, longer), giving you more usable notes in an orchestral setting. My college trumpet professor was a collector of these old instruments, and unfortunately, that has been too many years ago...

The instrument LOOKS like it might be double wrapped (twice as much pipe as a normal "C" trumpet), which would pitch it basically as a "C" trombone would be, (but with a trumpet mouthpiece). This would pitch it an octave lower than the open notes on a normal C trumpet, of course.

Some of you Baroque brass aficionados might be able to shed some light on this.
BfB

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello boog,

The instrument we are discussing is a natural trumpet in C, not a bugle. That means it is 8ft as apposed to 4ft. The fundamental is 2 octaves below middle C. Check this link to learn more:https://www.brassforbeginners.com/pages/the-natural-trumpet
And more about the instrument:
https://www.brassforbeginners.com/pages/bfb-natural-trumpet

There is no shortage of literature available on this topic, but C is also a standard key for Baroque repertoire, which is often played at A=415. This instrument is modern pitch though (A=440) so that it can be played with other modern classroom instruments, like recorders and Orf.

If you are interested in playing an instrument designed for more advanced trumpeters, check out our BfB Baroque: https://www.brassforbeginners.com/pages/bfb-baroque

If you are interested in

Hope that helps!
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Chris, you answered my inquiry. Thank you!

The design of the brass model is interesting. Unfortunately, in this stage of my life, I have too many trumpets. including home-made natural trumpets built out of "boneyard" horns! :D

Best of luck in your endeavor!

Dave
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Why use a natural trumpet for beginners? Reply with quote

BfB wrote:
The question, ‘what problem does this piece of plastic solve?’ is more to the point. It isn't really a question of being easier or harder, but a question of the pedagogical priorities in the beginning stages of development. Put most simply, the use of the natural trumpet limits the variables, helping students focus on the development of critical fundamentals and aural skills before they get a modern brass instrument. The lower to middle partials of the natural trumpet, which are easily accessible for beginners, puts the focus on hearing and reproducing pitches and intervals that are inherent to all modern brass instruments.
The perennial problem that band director’s face is that brass students associate notes on the staff with a valve combination or slide position. By learning the harmonic series, students will develop a connection between audiation and lip-blown pitch vibration, rather than to rely on valves or slides to find the notes. To learn about the philosophy behind the use of the natural trumpet, visit: https://www.brassforbeginners.com/pages/the-natural-trumpet
Some might ask why not use a bugle (or a vuvuzela for that matter), but a bugle is half the length of a natural trumpet pitched in the same key, putting the harmonic series for the most part out of reach for a beginner, and a hosaphone, while instructive about how the harmonic series works, unfortunately cannot be made to play the lower partials in tune, which are the ones that are needed for beginners. For more information on why the trumpet is a compelling teaching tool, check links on this page: https://www.brassforbeginners.com/pages/beginning-brass

In my teaching career of nearly 20 years, I spend much of it teaching beginning band - usually 4th and 5th grade (that's 9, 10, and 11 year olds).

I can see some of the usefulness and interest this might have in a general music, classroom setting as an alternative or supplement to recorders. One teacher at one of the schools I taught at had general music big ensemble things going on - lots of xylophones, other mallets, percussion, drums, recorders - this could fit well into something like that. The difference is that at $149, it's 30+ times more expensive than a recorder or something like a flute-a-phone. Buying a set of 30 for a classroom is almost $4500, which is quite a lot. As it says on your website, it's a way to get brass into the classroom music setting. Strings can be present through Ukuleles, Recorders are a woodwind, and there is plenty of keyboards and percussion, but brass has been almost entirely absent. Still, I don't know how this will fit into a lot of classroom music budgets.

I can see how this might be interesting in a slightly older and/or more advanced trumpet studio setting, but I don't really see much utility in a beginning band section. You describe "The perennial problem that band director’s face is that brass students associate notes on the staff with a valve combination or slide position" is frankly a "problem" I've never actually seen as a problem. It would be a rare 9-11 year old that would be interested in this a historical thing. They would be "when do we to play the real trumpet?" Getting beginners to focus on matching and hearing pitch and listening to intervals can be done as well on a normal Bb trumpet, in my opinion. Given that most beginners range is limited to low C and middle G for a while, they only really have access to two notes with this instrument, maybe three at the most. This is not going to generate a ton of enthusiasm after about a week. Most beginning methods focus on C and G, anyway. However, being able to use the valves - even with long notes and playing D and E at the very least, gives you access to some melodic content that can lend a sense of accomplishment and spur further growth.

To me, this would be like going to golf or tennis camp were you don't even hit a ball for a week or two.

Also, if it's pitched in C, this is good for a classroom music setting. If you're playing beginner trumpet in Bb, but this tool that you have that is supposed to help with finding harmonics and developing an ear is actually pitched a full step higher? Seems to be highly counterproductive on that front.

The idea that this could be used for historical literature is great, but in beginner band we're playing grade .5, grade 1 music for some time, using 5 notes. An older, more advanced studio or students could do some of the literature you talk about, but this is not really possible with most students that I deal with.

The material and such is interesting, but I still don't see much utility in it for teaching beginner band. I'm supposed to get parents that just signed up for lessons AND procured an instrument to get this $149 thing that is just kind of a teaching tool? To me, it's a academic solution that is still looking for a problem that it's supposed to help or solve better than something else. I could be persuaded otherwise, but it doesn't seem to actually or assist with things that are actual problems.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I missed it, but what is going to be the reaction of parents who have bought one of these for their kid and then the teacher turns around and tells the parent that he must now purchase a conventional trumpet?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Why use a natural trumpet for beginners? Reply with quote

BfB wrote:
4. Robert P: If you have beginning level or intermediate valve trumpet student, this horn is a great addition to their lessons, or even home practice. It helps them to refine sense of pitch and develop the ear.

Beginners? Many beginners struggle just to get a second line G, maybe third space C, they're doing good to get them at all in blatty, honking fashion let alone worry about whether they're on pitch center. Assuming they can get a C below the staff they might only have 2, maybe 3 open partial notes they can play. If their goal is to play a Bb trumpet what is a plastic natural trumpet going to do for them at this stage? You've said it helps, how? You've said it "limits the variables" - not clear why this is desirable given that you want them to develop the ability to play all the notes within whatever limited range they have.

How does it help refine their sense of pitch any more than or in any way that can't be realized practicing on a Bb valved trumpet? If it's not pitched in Bb, how is it not going to cause confusion when they're at a stage where they're trying to develop a sense of pitch on a Bb trumpet?

Speaking of pitch, in the section of the video where you play the fanfare, at numerous places the intonation between the parts is shaky - i.e. the various ranges of the instrument clearly aren't tightly aligned with each other - and that's played by someone with years of experience. How is playing a horn like this going to help a beginner's sense of pitch?

What real need does this fill when high school, college and conservatory programs, DCI etc. are full of players who have likely never played a natural trumpet? What crucial development did they miss out on that an inexpensive plastic natural trumpet with iffy intonation would have provided?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
BfB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Why use a natural trumpet for beginners? Reply with quote

Quote:
I can see some of the usefulness and interest this might have in a general music, classroom setting as an alternative or supplement to recorders. One teacher at one of the schools I taught at had general music big ensemble things going on - lots of xylophones, other mallets, percussion, drums, recorders - this could fit well into something like that. The difference is that at $149, it's 30+ times more expensive than a recorder or something like a flute-a-phone. Buying a set of 30 for a classroom is almost $4500, which is quite a lot. As it says on your website, it's a way to get brass into the classroom music setting. Strings can be present through Ukuleles, Recorders are a woodwind, and there is plenty of keyboards and percussion, but brass has been almost entirely absent. Still, I don't know how this will fit into a lot of classroom music budgets.

I can see how this might be interesting in a slightly older and/or more advanced trumpet studio setting, but I don't really see much utility in a beginning band section. You describe "The perennial problem that band director’s face is that brass students associate notes on the staff with a valve combination or slide position" is frankly a "problem" I've never actually seen as a problem. It would be a rare 9-11 year old that would be interested in this a historical thing. They would be "when do we to play the real trumpet?" Getting beginners to focus on matching and hearing pitch and listening to intervals can be done as well on a normal Bb trumpet, in my opinion. Given that most beginners range is limited to low C and middle G for a while, they only really have access to two notes with this instrument, maybe three at the most. This is not going to generate a ton of enthusiasm after about a week. Most beginning methods focus on C and G, anyway. However, being able to use the valves - even with long notes and playing D and E at the very least, gives you access to some melodic content that can lend a sense of accomplishment and spur further growth.

To me, this would be like going to golf or tennis camp were you don't even hit a ball for a week or two.

Also, if it's pitched in C, this is good for a classroom music setting. If you're playing beginner trumpet in Bb, but this tool that you have that is supposed to help with finding harmonics and developing an ear is actually pitched a full step higher? Seems to be highly counterproductive on that front.

The idea that this could be used for historical literature is great, but in beginner band we're playing grade .5, grade 1 music for some time, using 5 notes. An older, more advanced studio or students could do some of the literature you talk about, but this is not really possible with most students that I deal with.

The material and such is interesting, but I still don't see much utility in it for teaching beginner band. I'm supposed to get parents that just signed up for lessons AND procured an instrument to get this $149 thing that is just kind of a teaching tool? To me, it's a academic solution that is still looking for a problem that it's supposed to help or solve better than something else. I could be persuaded otherwise, but it doesn't seem to actually or assist with things that are actual problems.

Thanks for your comments Crazy Finn..

Regarding cost, the price comes down significantly when purchasing a classroom set of 15-30 instruments: https://www.brassforbeginners.com/collections/teacher-packages/products/full-classroom-set
It is a large investment, similar to purchasing other classroom sets of instruments, but these instruments remains at the school and will last years, and when used in general music, the program offers brass education to the entire grade level, therefore the entire student body. We think this is perhaps the most important aspect of the program: that all students in schools running the program have a chance to discover their ability to play brass, not just those who choose to join band and get lucky on the first try with a brass instrument. There are a few ways that the instruments are used in general music. Teachers either keep them in the classroom and rotate the entire set between the grade level, or send them home with students, rotating between classrooms throughout the year. Both ways have had exceptional results. Teachers have found many ways to use them in outside of the musical content of our curriculum, like call and response over C blues, playing riffs with modern band (Kids Rock), and in the way you have described, using them with other general music classroom instruments.

As for beginning band, that wasn't really a focus until we presented the program at TMEA last January. Band directors there were fascinated about the idea of starting all their brass players on this instrument before moving on to modern instruments. We have one program running in a Chicago public High School where the director is actually using it for the entire band before they choose an instrument, and she has found benefits in areas we didn't even consider.

About the "problem" - we have been presenting at conferences in the US and abroad now for 6 years and these are issues that constantly come up with educators. A great teacher will find ways to keep students interested and motivate them to develop all the areas of brass technique regardless of the teaching tool/instrument, so it sounds like you are in that category. The use of this horn to start brass players is simply now an option, and one that is proving extremely effective. We have been running programs for over a decade and see the results which are measurable.

In terms of the "historical thing," the curriculum follows a historical narrative (a story about the 'first trumpeter' from the upper Paleolithic), which is proving extremely engaging. It is full of high quality education, but fun for students to read. Many current teachers are saying that the curriculum is by far the best they have ever used in the classroom. It is interdisciplinary and fosters all kinds of cross-curricular activities that make the learning experience meaningful and enduring. Students learn about the origins of lip-blown instruments, how lip-blown instruments intersect with humanity over the ages, how they have been used through the ages, and how to play them. They come out with a better understanding of how these instruments work than most middle and high school band students.

Students are fascinated by the fact that the natural trumpet can play so many notes, and while they are developing the basic techniques and aural skills to navigate its intervals, they are learning about the origins of all types of musical forms as they relate to the ongoing narrative, such as: alarm, call to attention, cry for help, march, dance, song, etc., If you have a chance to look at the book you will see that the lower-middle partials of the harmonic series provides ample material for playing all kinds of "music." Of course, as you say, you can get students to develop all these things on a Bb trumpet, but you might find that limiting students to the harmonic series of the natural trumpet at first is an extremely efficient way to build fundamental and aural skills before giving them the variable of valves. I have also taught for over 20 years, and have started students as young as pre-K on both pocket trumpets and natural trumpet. My experience has been that students who have done the natural trumpet first hit the ground running on a valve trumpet.

As for the choice of key, it just happens that the key of C puts the harmonic series in a really accessible spot for beginners. We have not found any issue with students moving to tenor trombone, Bb trumpet, or F horn. BTW: we have found that starting on the nat is particularly effective way of starting French horn players.

As for using this instrument for more advanced trumpeters to play historical literature: we have receive many orders for middle and high school, even college programs, so that students can play 18-19th century trumpet ensemble music. There is an inexhaustible supply of repertoire that is completely accessible for intermediate to advanced players, and it's a great challenge to pick your part out of 4 or 5 voices. Again, a great way to refine aural skills, pitch accuracy, and a hands-on way to introduce the world of early music to young people.

We have found that until educators have a chance to pick up and play the instrument, and look through the curriculum, it can be hard to imagine how it all works, but one thing we know for sure, it does work, and it offers a whole world of education that goes far beyond a traditional beginning instrumental music program.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Last edited by BfB on Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:07 am; edited 2 times in total
BfB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: Cost Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Perhaps I missed it, but what is going to be the reaction of parents who have bought one of these for their kid and then the teacher turns around and tells the parent that he must now purchase a conventional trumpet?

Although we do get individual orders from parents wanting to start their child with the program at home (obviously brass playing parents), or from brass instructors who start students in a private setting, this instrument is really designed as a general music classroom instrument. Schools purchase a classroom set which they keep at school and rotate to the entire grade level year after year. The instrument has no moving parts and was designed to be extremely robust, which means the investment means years of brass education for an entire grade level.
https://www.brassforbeginners.com/collections/teacher-packages/products/full-classroom-set

Thanks for your thoughts.
BfB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Why use a natural trumpet for beginners? Reply with quote

Quote:
Many beginners struggle just to get a second line G, maybe third space C, they're doing good to get them at all in blatty, honking fashion let alone worry about whether they're on pitch center. Assuming they can get a C below the staff they might only have 2, maybe 3 open partial notes they can play. If their goal is to play a Bb trumpet what is a plastic natural trumpet going to do for them at this stage? You've said it helps, how? You've said it "limits the variables" - not clear why this is desirable given that you want them to develop the ability to play all the notes within whatever limited range they have.

How does it help refine their sense of pitch any more than or in any way that can't be realized practicing on a Bb valved trumpet? If it's not pitched in Bb, how is it not going to cause confusion when they're at a stage where they're trying to develop a sense of pitch on a Bb trumpet?

Speaking of pitch, in the section of the video where you play the fanfare, at numerous places the intonation between the parts is shaky - i.e. the various ranges of the instrument clearly aren't tightly aligned with each other - and that's played by someone with years of experience. How is playing a horn like this going to help a beginner's sense of pitch?

What real need does this fill when high school, college and conservatory programs, DCI etc. are full of players who have likely never played a natural trumpet? What crucial development did they miss out on that an inexpensive plastic natural trumpet with iffy intonation would have provided?
[/quote]

Thanks for your thoughts Robert P.
The harmonic series of the natural trumpet puts the harmonic series down an octave from a modern trumpet, which provides beginners more accessible partials in the lower-middle register. These intervals also happen to be the ones that all brass players must be able to navigate on any given slide position or valve combination: Sol, Do, Mi, Sol, Si, Do (P4, M3, m3s, P5, 8ves, M2) Limiting the sound palette to these partials & intervals without the distraction of moving parts helps put the focus on the development of sound production, articulation, embouchure formation, breathing, and most importantly, aural skills. Since the partials of the modern Bb trumpet are so far apart (as you noted in paragraph 1), students tend to rely a great deal on valves to get the notes to sound. They could be producing a pitch vibration more than a step off from the note they are fingering, but still have the "right note" sounding (albeit probably not a good sound), whereas, because the intervals of the natural trumpet are so much closer together, to get the "right note," students must produce a more accurate pitch vibration.

As for the intonation in the video, I take full responsibility! I actually recorded that with only a metronome click and no pitch reference. If I had a pitch reference I could have easily corrected the high G in those few moments when it goes a bit high. You will find that the natural trumpet is quite flexible when it come to pitch adjustment/intonation. This video was made just to show that the instrument in not a toy. It was developed with top acousticians and plays with a very authentic sound and its harmonic series is better than many historical instruments. We are certainly not suggesting that beginners would be using it to play music like this.

I think I explained earlier how using this instrument for beginners improves their sense of pitch.

Although this trumpet is really designed for general music classroom, we are also receiving orders for beginning band programs, brass methods classes, and private instructors. Additionally, middle and high school directors are ordering these for their trumpeters, both for students who need a little "tune up" with their aural skills, and for more advanced players to venture into the upper register playing more advanced repertoire. We have sold sets of our more advanced trumpet, the BfB Baroque™, to high schools and colleges that want a low cost option to start a natural trumpet ensemble at their institution. The playing of historical instruments is definitely on the rise in the US and Europe. That being said, this is not the purpose of the BfB Natural Trumpet™. The idea is not to teach how the play the natural trumpet, but rather to use the natural trumpet as a teaching tool to teach the fundamentals of brass playing that are common to all brass instruments.

Thanks again for your thoughts.
BfB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Why use a natural trumpet for beginners? Reply with quote

If you are interested in learning how the Brass for Beginners programs works— try out the BfB Natural Trumpet™ and get a tour of the curriculum and teacher resources— please come to the ITG conference in Miami where we will be presenting the session "A Brass Odyssey: Using the Natural Trumpet and the History of Lip-blown Instruments to Teach Beginners"
Saturday 11:00am, 1st floor, Orchid Ballroom
https://www.itgconference.org/2019-schedule/

We will also host a booth in the exhibition hall where you can try out our vented instrument, the BfB Baroque™
https://www.brassforbeginners.com/collections/instruments/products/bfb-baroque-1

Thanks for all the comments!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I missed it, you still haven't addressed the issue of parents being confronted later with having to still buy another instrument, the conventional trumpet. If I were that parent, I would be pretty miffed.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: