• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Where is the best place to live in US for a trumpet player?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Where is the best place to live in US for a trumpet player? Reply with quote

You've all seen those (secretly sponsored) "Best Places" lists, to retire, find a job, etc.

Where's the best place for a trumpet player? Playing opportunities, bands, schools, places to hear music, etc.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is the best place to live in US for a trumpet play Reply with quote

BGinNJ wrote:
You've all seen those (secretly sponsored) "Best Places" lists, to retire, find a job, etc.

Where's the best place for a trumpet player? Playing opportunities, bands, schools, places to hear music, etc.

I've come to understand that Texas is a killer place to be a retired/semi-pro.
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Where is the best place to live in US for a trumpet play Reply with quote

LaTrompeta wrote:
BGinNJ wrote:

I've come to understand that Texas is a killer place to be a retired/semi-pro.

800 miles from Beaumont to El Paso. We are going to have to do some more specific research
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Texas, that also means a lot of competition. A lot of work at little or no pay unless you're a top player.

That doesn't mean that you should be negative about it, but it will take an adjustment. I know guys that had full-time work elsewhere that were practically penniless when they moved here.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only real frames of reference are Chicago and Houston (moved here in 1995), but I don’t see Texas as being much different from Illinois regarding gig opportunities. As far as this being a “killer” place for retired or semi pros? While I’ve been fortunate enough to stay fairly busy as a part time pro player, I don’t see Texas as being any sort of Mecca for gig opportunities.

Brad
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would very much think the answer to the question would depend greatly on how well you play and what your desired income should be. I would think LA, NY, Nashville, Vegas would be the place to be if you were on top of the game, and a much smaller town where you could be 1st call if not at the top.

I have known only one person who could play and read anything - and he worked wherever he wanted when he wanted. 1st call LA studio, Woody Herman and Stan Kenton lead. And then there is someone like me who is struggling to play 1st in a community band after a Loong lay-off. To somebody in between us ... if I lived in LA I probably couldn’t play 4th in any band there. That’s the way I see it, if you think you got it shoot for the biggest town with recording activity and do it. I knew a country boy from Ohio who did.
Rod
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, Rod, but are you talking about Larry Ford? Larry was a friend of mine and played first trumpet in the North Texas One O'clock Band, and also was a 1st call LA studio player and lead with Woody Herman and Stan Kenton Bands.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Larry was playing with Kenton when my band director introduced me to him and told me that that’s the player I should be if I wanted the big time. I was in the 10th grade. There was a regional band Mel Gillespie orchestra, and when Larry visited his home in Iornton, OH he would sit in with us when my age wasn’t a factor. I also knew his himschool band director who was one of the best ride tenor players I’ve ever heard. I never talked with Larry about his approach to trumpet but just tried to copy what I could and watched him like a hawk. Never heard him make a mistake and we were playing some tough stuff and he never broke a sweat. Mel knew the guy running the NT State program and called him to say Larry was coming and would shortly be the new lead in the 1 o’clock band. The guy was a bit taken aback as no freshman had ever grabbed that seat. Later in the year Larry was indeed playing lead. I was working on Czardas for an all state audition and was having issues with the cadenza at speed. I asked him to play it for me and he did it 1st time read and played it better than Mendez. Since reading was my weakest issue it added to the shock and awe of sitting beside him. He let me climb on the bandstand at a Kenton concert and rifle thru the lead book and introduced me to Stan the man. He was always so nice and encouraging to me, I liked him a lot and think I hear him play on a lot of albums. Tell me your side of Larry.
Rod
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for such a nice memory. I really like Larry. His playing was flawless and he was a great guy.

I knew Larry from North Texas and played in a band with him as well in playing in rival soul bands, but in a mutual big band at the same time. I worked with him steadily for about two years. His loss was profound.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I undestood the OP's question, he wanted to know what a good place would be to hear live music or play semi-pro/amateur. Just a couple visits to Texas and I found that there were something like 4 or 5 professional/semi-pro orchestras in the DFW area. That, of course, doesn't include all the community groups that are around. I think of where I live and we barely have a few amateur groups.
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine any big city in the US has good opportunities. Though, my bet for the very best spots would go to New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, and Houston.
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: