• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

BLACKBURN #3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: BLACKBURN #3 Reply with quote

Anyone play this piece here? What are your thoughts? Thanks.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blackburn 3C came with the USA-made Sonare trumpets (800/900). It has been a while since I played a Blackburn 3C, but I recall the rim being comfortable and the cup being a bit deeper than a Bach 3C. I preferred the Blackburn 1.5C, so don't have the 3C any more.
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both Blackburn 3C and 1.5C.
Both say "Sonare" on them.

The following, of course, is my personal experience:
I like them both, and better than all other similar size pieces.
(Like most of us, I've tried MANY).
Both rims are comfortable. Allow easy flexibility.
The 3C gets a slightly brighter sound than the 1.5C.
They are both easy for me. Funny that even with the 1.5C, my high register comes easier than with all other 3C-ish pieces I've tried.
I don't know the drill and backbore specs.
I like the 3c so much, I have a spare!

Now, I also have a Blackburn 3C without "Sonare' stamped on it. There's something a little different about it. I don't like it as much as the others.
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only seen photos of a Blackburn 3. I would imagine that it is comparable to a Blackburn 3C in the way a Bach 3 is to a Bach 3C. That is, I imagine the cup is a bit deeper and the backbore slightly more open but, unlike Bach, the rim is probably the same.

I own a handful of Blackburn 3C's, both Warburton- and Pickett-made and a Warburton-made 3B. I believe that Cliff himself told me that the difference between the Sonare and non-Sonare versions was that the backbore on the Sonare version was optimized for the B&S Sonare that it was paired with (also had a special Blackburn leadpipe). I believe the cups are the same.

Cliff also said, way back when he first introduced a line of mouthpieces, that the standard Blackburn backbore was pretty much the Warburton 8. When I bought a Blackburn 3C top from him, I was sent a Warburton 8 backbore to go with it.

Later I had a Sonare Blackburn 3C turned into a top with a 24 throat by Matt Frost.

If you want to know about Blackburn 3-series pieces in general, I find that they have a somewhat cushion-y rim. I personally like them.

I also think that I like the newer, Pickett-made version just a tad bit better than the Warburton-made ones. (To identify them - there is a slight difference in the script used. The Warburton looks stamped and the Pickett appears to be machine cut).

If you have any specific questions, I will be happy to try and answer them. As you can see, I am pro-Blackburn...

-- Joe
walldaja

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Blackburn 3C that came with my Sonare. I liked the outside profile of the Blackburn but never gave it much consideration as I typically play on a bigger and deeper mouthpiece (Wedge 1.25 or Stork 2B). The initial post intrigued me, maybe I should give it a try. Got it out and the cup looked more like a dimple than an actual cup. When I tried it--felt like "too small" shoes and was bright to the point of harsh. I think mine will remain in the category of "boat anchor." For what it's worth the 3C was included with the trumpet because that's what you do when you sell them. The real gem was the German Sonare trumpet which sadly were only produced for a short period of time and replaced with a much inferior one.

Sonare TRC-800, Dennis Wick 1.5C
Blessing Standard, Denis Wick 1.5C
Accent TR959 CDB C tpt Stork XM2 Studio Mstr
Jupiter 846S Flug Schilke 18F
Shires Q30GR T-bone 5 / 4 CL
Yamaha YBL-421G T-bone 2 CL
Jean Baptist Euphonium Stork 4
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your info/comments. Mine is not the "Sonare" piece; it only says "Blackburn - 3" I do like it, but, just like most trumpeters, I have many many mouthpieces & do not have only 1 "favorite." I do not think that the Blackburn I have is "better" than others I own. Would like to try an AR Resonance now.....but there are no used ones I can buy "inexpensively." I only paid $40 for the Blackburn & so I will keep it as it is very well made. Don't want to pay $200-300 for a mouthpiece to find out that "the safari continues....'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: