• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How much effort?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I get to the B and high C range while doing the 2nds and 3rds, How much effort and sound volume should I produce? Should I force the notes with much air/ pressure or should I attempt to play the intervals as easily as those in the lower register even if I get only air with the A and B intervals? This sounds like a dumb question as I write it but I can play the B-C interval decently...but I do feel much more strain. The C-D interval rarely sounds for me and I'm curious as to whether I should MAKE it sound or whether I should continue to play all the intervals easily and not be concerned with whether or not the upper intervals are completed successfully. Thanks, Jim
natchezz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll be brave and take a stab at it.

I would say the top of your current range (high C-D) will not be as easy to play as the octive lower. It will not feel the same. When you get to the first interval that only air or no note comes out, pull the horn away from your face and rest 10-15 seconds. Try that same interval again. Don't be shy about it - pressure up by tightening your abs and lower back and get into it. Don't worry about how much extra mouthpiece pressure you have to use. If the notes still won't come out, you are finished with this exercise. If the notes do come out, keep going, but when you need to pull the mouthpiece from your face again you are finished with the exercise. Don't forget to keep tapping your foot all through this.

Hope this helps.
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good reply Natchez!

You said,

"pressure up by tightening your abs and lower back and get into it"

You don't even need to be concerned with this either. Just blow!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: