• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

French horn to Flugelhorn, mouthpiece recommendation?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevenhigbee

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: French horn to Flugelhorn, mouthpiece recommendation? Reply with quote

I am going to try flugelhorn after a lifetime of French horn playing. What flugelhorn mouthpiece would you recommend to start with? I was trained in the style of the German school in America, which is a lighter, crisper, more focused tone than the more common big American horn sound.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played French horn for about 20 years before recently switching back to trumpet.
For horn (668N), I used a Holton DC mouthpiece, and on trumpet I use a Bach 7 - same as I used many many years prior.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on you and the flugelhorn... the mouthpiece is the bridge between.

Must "fit" you chops and match the Flugel. (additionally, note that there are 3 standard sized shanks/receivers with Flugels - large, small, and straight tapers)

With that said, I'd start simple and less expensive. Curry makes pieces in any of the tapers.. I'd go 7FL, 5FL, or 3FL depending on your size choice

If you get the appropriate taper in Yamaha mouthpiece - 11F4 or 14F4 would also be a solid choice

https://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/specshub/flugeltapers.html

Oh yeah, and by the way, flugels are notorious for intonation issues. Good ones are ok to excellent, bad ones are downright horrid.

good luck
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Flugelnut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you can use your horn mouthpiece on your flugel. I did that for years with good results.
You'll need a French horn to tenor (alto) horn adapter with the outside turned down to the appropriate flugel shank size.
This combe gave me a nice, light flugel sound on small bore flugels like Bach Strad and Kanstul Besson Brevete.
It did however not work very well on a Benge 5, but that horn is large bore and has a exceptionally wide bell throat.
That way you don't have to change your embouchure and you can easily switch back to horn if you get the urge.
Enjoy!
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know jack about french horn but the stock mouthpiece that came with my (40's ?) Courtois Flugel looks a LOT like a french horn piece! You might find an older vintage style piece would make you feel comfy.
Try anything you can get your hands on!

I like 'Flugelnut's' idea... you'd have a few hoops to jump through but might be worth it for a smooth transition.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played trumpet and flugal all my life and occasionally have played French horn. The blow on the two instruments is so vastly different that I don't think there's a need to reconcile the mouthpiece. I'd steer you toward the Yamaha horns and mouthpieces. Odds are good that somewhere between the Yamaha 11F4 and the 14F4 you'll find a usable piece. While not often heralded as the greatest flugal pieces, this is a very serviceable place to start.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
stevenhigbee

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flugelnut wrote:
Actually, you can use your horn mouthpiece on your flugel. I did that for years with good results.
You'll need a French horn to tenor (alto) horn adapter with the outside turned down to the appropriate flugel shank size.

I've wondered if my horn mouthpiece might be usable, and not be considered heresy to do so. I would hate to mess up chops.

Instead of an adapter, I'm toying with the idea of having a machine shop make me a whole receiver, tapered for the French Horn mouthpiece on the input, with a perfectly conical backbore. I have a screw-rimmed horn mouthpiece, so I could still play with different cups and keep the same rim.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, the last time I had to work up my French horn chops was to play a short run of Les Mis with a local theater group. It took me about a month to get solid on the horn. It took less than a week to get all my trumpet chops back. I've no doubt the transition time would diminish if I persisted at it.

In case you're interested, the French horn mouthpiece that worked for the was the Faxx Farkas MC, which is measurably bigger in ID than any of my trumpet/flugal/picc pieces. Curiously on the bigger French horn mouthpiece I had almost limitless endurance, and range to match the more experienced Horn players.

By the way, the newer orchestration for Les Mis is AWESOME to play on Horn. Easily way more fun than the trumpet part. On the original orchestration the trumpet part was probably the more fun to play.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenhigbee wrote:
Flugelnut wrote:

I've wondered if my horn mouthpiece might be usable, and not be considered heresy to do so. I would hate to mess up chops.

Instead of an adapter, I'm toying with the idea of having a machine shop make me a whole receiver, tapered for the French Horn mouthpiece on the input, with a perfectly conical backbore. I have a screw-rimmed horn mouthpiece, so I could still play with different cups and keep the same rim.

NO. just buy yourself a Flugel mouthpiece.. you'll get a more useful, appropriate sound and not mess up an instrument-don't re-invent the wheel.. Your face/chops will learn-guys switch from one brass instrument to another all the time without messing up their chops. Besides, it IS a different blow, the change in mouthpiece/rim will be beneficial. you'll run into way more issues trying to make a horn mouthpiece work on a Flugel and even if you do, it won't be the right sound.
Spend your 50 bucks on a stock yamaha or similar Flugel mouthpiece.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a multi-instrumentalist and, except when I was first exploring the alto and tenor saxes, never tried to get analogous mouthpieces among the different horns. I took each horn as a separate entity with its own distinct characteristic uses and picked equipment accordingly. But . . .

At one period I played alto horn in a German village band and used my French horn mouthpiece on it. Did that for a full year and nobody knew the difference, or cared.

I always pay attention to Zaferis' posts but in this case, I would say choice of mouthpiece depends on how you are going to use the horn.

As a semi-professional or better, I would pick a characteristic flugelhorn mouthpiece. But, depending on context, if it's casual, I would consider the least change required.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: