• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

stuck slide

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brnt999

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first valve slide on my trumpet is stuck and I am reluctant to put too much force on it.Anyone have any tricks. What is the best stuff to put on slides to prevent this.Thanks
Bill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... First let's get yours freed up. Try applying some valve oil right at the joint where it's stuck - I know it doesn't look like it will help but some will bound to get down in the tiniest gaps and help free things up. Let it sit for awhile to penetrate and try pulling it out again.

If this doesn't work take it to a repair shop...if you're even remotely a regular there and maybe buy valve oil the repair guy will usually do a simple slide pull for nothing - or just a couple bucks.

So it doesn't happen again - get some slide grease or slide oil. Zaja makes a great product that's a little heavier than valve oil. Some players like to put a little grease on and then a drop or two of valve oil to thin it out a little.

Make sure you work your slides once a day.

Wilmington Big Band
Artistry In Jazz Big Band
Snake Malone and the Black Cat Bone Blues Band
alanbach
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a main slide stuck on a Blessing cornet belonging to the band I play for. Brought it home and placed it in a bucket of warm water for 30 minutes then run some cold water over it. Result one slide easily removed. Makes sense.......warm items shrink when cold water is applied.....lol
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brnt999,
You can try to loosen the slide with penetrating oil. Spray something such as WD 40 into the fitting. Let it soak in. You may have to repeat the process several times. After you have let the penetrating oil soak in then you can use a towel placed between the tubes to pull the slide. Be sure to have a soft back drop cuz that slide may fly outta there.

Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: