• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sensodyne?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BStrad43
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Sensodyne? Reply with quote

As I get older, my teeth have become more sensitive and my dentist recommended using Sensodyne toothpaste. I have been using it for a few weeks now and I have noticed the horn has been less responsive. I have a harder time playing lower notes and coming in quieter. Nothing really has changed in the daily maintenance.

Could it be the toothpaste numbing my chops?

Thanks

K
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using Sensodyne toothpaste for a few years and haven't had any problems. That's me,not you. I switched to Arm & Hammer sensitive because it cost a lot less. Arm & hammer has the same results as Sensodyne for me,again with no problem playing trumpet.

Try Arm& Hammer and see if helps. I tried Colgate sensitive,it didn't work for me,I was still sensitive to cold and hot,but it might work for you.

Hope this helps,

Al
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here -- been using various brands, whichever is cheapest, for years (Crest or Colgate now), not had problems I could directly trace to that. But you may be more sensitive for whatever reason.

I have had more problems just due to get older, however -- not so much with range, but technique and endurance is harder to maintain.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another consideration is that Sensodyne (and other brands) have many-many different varieties.
For me, one of the types that claimed a 'whitening' ability caused lip trouble for playing.

Now, I just use a plain type.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it depends on the situation… If I have a commercial gig I’ll use ‘Ultrabright’… however if there will be a lot of ballads then ‘Colgate Sensative’ seems to work better… For gigs that require reading I go with ‘Close Up’… for those gigs with many random high notes I’ll use ‘Aim’… If I think that parts might have to be transposed up a 1/2 step ‘Oral B’ gets the call… If there will be some fast playing involved I might switch to Sensodyne ‘Rapid Relief’… Sometimes it just depends on the horn that I want to play… If I’m worried about dropping a vintage horn I’ll use ‘Pepsodent’… if I wanna use a shiny silver horn I’ll break out my old tube of ‘Gleem’ … and sometimes I’ll just want to use the the Kanstul so of coarse I’ll brush with ‘Zigfresh’!
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
i can have the same problem depending on tooth paste, or how much i use, how long time i brush and keep the paste in my mouth.

the best one, both for this issue and health, is Meswak, an ayurvedic one you can find in bio shops, liquorice taste, and just only few portion is necessary
best
BStrad43
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys.

It turns out that I am allergic to the Sensodyne toothpaste. I woke up the other day with my lips swollen. Time to find a new toothpaste.

Kevin
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BStrad43 wrote:

Time to find a new toothpaste.

Yes, in hurry!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: