• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Adjustable Brace

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpet_Mom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does an adjustable brace have the same effect on the trumpet sound as one that has a soldered brace on it?
PatchesTheCat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only experience with this is on a Tuneable Bell Schilke. I feel that the adjustable brace worked fine and it was interesting to hear the changes in sound by moving it towards or away from the end of the bell. I do feel however that the soldered brace if placed in the optimum position (this referring to the effect of moving the adjustable brace, you may like a certain spot) works better.

Regards.
Trumpet_Mom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an adjustable brace that I use on a Yamaha 6310Z. I like it better with the brace so I never take it off. I was thinking of having a permanent one soldered on, but I don't want to risk damaging the lacquer. The lacquer is still 100% and like new. Can braces be added without causing damage to the lacquer?
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it really worth the loss of the extra resonance from the bell?

Record it with and without the sound post - this way you will know what you sound like from 6 feet away rather than behind the horn....

when your done I hear those adjustable posts make a quick penny on ebay...

JMHO,

marc
pushyred
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where is you brace? From your post it sounds like its located vertically on the tuning slide between the top and bottom tubes. Is that right or does it touch the bell somehow?

I believe that a good professional repair person could do the work with very minimal harm to the laquer. "The new laquers they are using now days are quite advanced chemically and can with stand quite a bit of heat", so says my husband the instrument repair guy.

Of course, any modifications you make will potentially lower its resale value. So do you want a horn you can sell or one you enjoy to play?
Mzony
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also custom trumpet modifiers (Malone + Ken Larson) who have an adjustable brace between the first valve slide and the tail of the bell. Sometimes, you may even see an adjustable brace between the third valve slide and the tube that leads to the tuning slide. And of course an adjustable brace can often be seen on a Bb trumpet between the leadpipe and the tube that goes into the leadpipe.
They tend to serve their purposes just as well as having them soldered in. Also, they allow you to adjust the horn to your own playing needs/preferences.

Mike
Trumpet_Mom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep the brace on the tuning slide. (It's a reverse leadpipe model. If you looked at a Bach 37 with a reverse leadpipe, the brace is in the same spot.) I think the brace improves the slotting for me and takes some of the edge off the higher notes. And the tone seems more stable. But I will try the recording idea. Then I'll know for sure so I don't spend money on the procedure if I don't need to.
Trumpet_Mom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep the brace on the tuning slide. (It's a reverse leadpipe model. If you looked at a Bach 37 with a reverse leadpipe, the brace is in the same spot.) I think the brace improves the slotting for me and takes some of the edge off the higher notes. And the tone seems more stable. But I will try the recording idea. Then I'll know for sure so I don't spend money on the procedure if I don't need to.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that I read that the Xeno Z (8310Z) will have a brace on the tuning slide. Those with 6310Zs might want to consider "upgrading" their horns with the braced slide, rather than buy a new horn. As soon as I get a XenoZ to review that'll be one of the first tests I do (change slides in a 6310Z).

Keep in mind that the slippery slotting of the current Z CAN BE one of it's advantages. That increases flexibility. I suspect that the aim of the new horn may be to make the horn more palatable to those coming from Bach 37s and Yamaha Xeno 8335s wanting that more secure slotting. I bet it'll turn out that you can't have your cake and eat it also. Still, no doubt, there'll be a ton of players that'll find the new Z better suited to their needs.

Another thought... some may prefer the new Xeno Z for certain reasons other than the slide. For these, the best mix might be a Xeno Z, but with a 6310Z slide. Food for thought.

Dave
Trumpet_Mom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand correctly, I can buy a tuning slide with the brace and have both so I can interchange them once the new version is available?
davo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Bach 72*/43 with a reverse leadpipe that has two tuning slides, a rounded slided and a double radius slide. They both have a single brace in the crook. The horn has no brace between the leadpipe and the slide receiver into the third slide. I am having the brace removed on the rounded slide to play test it to see what the playing and sonic differences might be. There is the slightest difference between the two slides now and I'm "experimenting". I'm expecting looser slotting and perhaps a more open blow. I can't predict how it might sound differently, however. I'll know when it returns from the shop.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-12-12 10:02, Trumpet_Mom wrote:
If I understand correctly, I can buy a tuning slide with the brace and have both so I can interchange them once the new version is available?

Yes, that'd be my guess. I saw a recent Ebay auction that had a Japaneze 6310Z that came with two slides. In the USA, first the new slide will need to become part of a production horn. I suspect that after the Xeno Z is introduced at the NAMM show you'll be able to order a "replacement" slide through your dealer.

Dave
PatchesTheCat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this time I thought we were talking about an adjustable brace for the bell-leadpipe, not the tuning slide. My prior response was totally irrelevant. That's mud in my eye.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-12-12 12:29, PatchesTheCat wrote:
All this time I thought we were talking about an adjustable brace for the bell-leadpipe, not the tuning slide. My prior response was totally irrelevant. That's mud in my eye.

Well, what you said was actually very lucid and to the point based on what you thought you were talking about.

Dave
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same here (bell brace) - but my local repair guy says that the bach guys around here have him yank off the main tuning slide braces all the time..

-marc
Trumpet_Mom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI -- I emailed Yamaha tech support and was just notified that the 8310Z will not have a brace on the tuning slide either. it will be unbraced just like the 6310Z.
Trumpet_Mom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI -- I emailed Yamaha tech support and was just notified that the 8310Z will not have a brace on the tuning slide either. it will be unbraced just like the 6310Z.
PatchesTheCat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting to hear. Someone here emailed Bobby Shew and he responded saying that it will have double braces reminiscent of a Bach Stradivarius. Guess they are revamping still. I can't wait to try one.

Regards.
davo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I am reluctant to reveal my source (let's say an informed source), the differences between the 6310Z and the 8310Z will be very minor and subtle. The bell will be of a slightly thinner brass and the brace between the first slide and bell tube and the brace between the third slide crook will be from a Xeno trumpet. The resultant sound is said to be slightly "richer" and there is more feedback to the player.
PatchesTheCat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe that was the bracing he was refering to all the time. I've been misunderstanding things too often when it comes to bracing. I just can't seem to figure out what each person is talking about. I hope they give it heavy weight valve casings. Those thin ones just don't cut it on the 6310Z's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: