• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pilczuk Leadpipes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a Selmer K Modified with with copper Pilczuk Accusonic Leadpipe # 708 today at Ken Stanton Music in Atlanta. It played extremely well. Maybe the best of any K Modified I have ever played. The horn was very responsive with a great tone and the notes just popped out clearly all the way up to F above high C. I was surprised. Has anyone else had a Piulczuk Leadpipe put on their horn? If so, which one?

Thanks!

Mike
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having a pilczuk installed on an olds LA ambassador. Testing these pipes (got them from Rich Ita) was a blast....every single one radically improved the horn. The one I ended up choosing was in rose brass and complemented the sound of the olds, enhancing its warm, dark sound. The real improvement was in intonation across the horn and slotting above high C. I imagine the improvement would be a lot less dramatic on a newer pro horn--according to Rich, a recent client tried them out on a schilke, and while still noticing an improvement, didn't think it was worth the roughly $200 for the pipe and labor.

I wholeheartedly recommend them...plus it's a pleasure working with Rich and a great learning experience. I have recently learned from Roy lawler that he sells an attachment plug for testing these for $10. Otherwise you improvise w/ tape, straps, etc.
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one on my old Bach. It one one of the best bachs I ever played and after it got a pilczuk pipe it played even better. I sold the horn to my best friend because he is an awesome player but he played on a crappy bach TR200 so I wanted to help him out. I told him to keep it nice and clean and dent free because I will buy it back one day.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I third the previous. I picked one of the half dozen Pilczuks Rich Ita sent me and had a local guy put it on my 1937 Olds Super. Not exactly sure which pipe it was, except that it's raw brass, it fits, and it sounds great!

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

I got a handful from Rich Ita and turned my really nice Bach 37* into an even better playing horn. I posted a bunch about it at the time. The intonation got so perfect it was scary and it made a fine horn move up a notch! It was a great investment!

A couple of months later I had a chance to play a Wild Thing . . . and the Bach was history.

Too bad Gene Pilczuk died when he did. It was just a two man operation (Gene and his son) and Gene spent his whole adult life perfecting his multi-stepped pipes. He'd just turned down a mega bucks offer from Yamaha, as well as one from Selmer, for his patents when he died. At that time his pipes were starting to really take off with serious players. Naturally, this was before the world wide web!

It's great to see that Rich finally bought out the rights and got the plans and machinery from Gene's son to continue making this wonderful leadpipes.

Too bad Gene's final project never was perfected . . . a 13-step/chambered bell! You can see one pictured on the Pilczuk brouchere on Rich Ita's site though . . . a Yamaha-based Pilczuk with a stepped bell that looks like his leadpipe enlarged!

Mike, I hope you and your family have a wonderful Holiday season. Look forward to seeing you again!

Warmest regards,

Tom
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know what this is? Looks like a test horn or prototype. There is a Pilczuk D trumpet listed as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2366174562&category=41398

[ This Message was edited by: Tim80 on 2003-12-13 06:40 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: