• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Home recording setup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpessa

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:22 am    Post subject: Home recording setup Reply with quote

Hola, I would like to record my trumpet with my iMac.
I have been to a shop and sounds like recording a trumpet require many expensive toys: a XLR mic, and a tool to connect it to the computer.
I have a budget of 200/300$
Can someone with a good heart recommend the stack?
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick a mic then use GarageBand or whatever.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c981--USB_Microphones
mdarnton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Room and mic location are much more important than equipment, until you learn how those two things work. If you're going to do this in a small room with hard walls, you might as well use a soup can with string attached. So if you haven't done any recording, I would experiment first with the equipment you already own.

The cheap option is to buy something like a Zoom H2 or H4n--these are capable of almost-professional results when used correctly (see first paragraph), and are portable, for less formal recording.

The USB mic suggestion is good, too.
deleted_user_48e5f31

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by dfcoleman

Last edited by deleted_user_48e5f31 on Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Rickperon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the GarageBand on my Mac, along with a Sure SM57 mic ( which btw is a great mic to own if you gig out as a commercial player), I plug into a Yamaha Audiogram 6 Interface that plugs into my Mac via USB. I personally love the results, simple to use. The Yamaha Audiogram 6 is no longer made, however you can find them on eBay for less than $80.00.... you can do this setup well under $300.00 And as mentioned, experiment with room acoustics as well. I have some tunes on SoundCloud if you want to check out. These were recorded in an open space with about 12” from the mic. Good Luck!

My SoundCloud recordings can be found under rickperon, or Rick Peron
gpessa

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdarnton wrote:
Room and mic location are much more important than equipment, until you learn how those two things work. If you're going to do this in a small room with hard walls, you might as well use a soup can with string attached. So if you haven't done any recording, I would experiment first with the equipment you already own.

The cheap option is to buy something like a Zoom H2 or H4n--these are capable of almost-professional results when used correctly (see first paragraph), and are portable, for less formal recording.

The USB mic suggestion is good, too.

Probably you are right but I can't change Room and mic location.
- I live in a 2 bedroom apartment, we are short of rooms
- The mic is the computer internal one and I can't move the computer too much

This is why I thought about getting a mic (so I can move it) and I can increase the really low quality of the mic.

I see many people are using a Shure sm57 (hoping I can keep my dark mellow sound)

I need a USB interface. Many are using a FocusRite Scarlet 2i2, but I'm reading that many people have a really low volume and problems.

Maybe I should really get a simple USB mic, but many people told me that they sucks
[/list]
Richard A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: USB Interface Reply with quote

I have had good results using a Presonus interface and MXL microphones. For software I prefer Audacity and GarageBand.

I bought the interface on eBay and the microphone at Guitar Center.
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Home recording setup Reply with quote

gpessa wrote:
I have been to a shop and sounds like recording a trumpet require many expensive toys: a XLR mic, and a tool to connect it to the computer.

If your budget is around $200-300 try to look around for some sales or other promotionals. You can purchase the zoom handheld recorders which, some have said, can give you good quality recordings. Another option is either buying a USB microphone that connects directly to your computer. If you're a new MacBook user than you'll need an adapter and those run $100 bucks. If you are a pc person or use an older mac you most likely won't need to worry about the adapter.

I was in the same place you're in now about 3 years ago and this is what I ended up doing. I purchases an XLR cable 20ft from Guitar Center (they can be had for like $15) and purchased an audio interface Presonus (used at Guitar Center for $32) and an AKG condenser mic for $149. I first started with the free version of presonus on my pc, but when I purchase I new laptop I then switched to GarageBand. If you browse the use section of GC website you can find good deals on recording equipment or keep an eye on sales they have you can also score. I was able to pick-up a pair of Sterling Audio mics for $50.

hope that helps some...
gpessa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Home recording setup Reply with quote

DJtpt31 wrote:
gpessa wrote:

If your budget is around $200-300 try to look around for some sales or other promotionals. You can purchase the zoom handheld recorders which, some have said, can give you good quality recordings. Another option is either buying a USB microphone that connects directly to your computer. If you're a new MacBook user than you'll need an adapter and those run $100 bucks. If you are a pc person or use an older mac you most likely won't need to worry about the adapter.

I was in the same place you're in now about 3 years ago and this is what I ended up doing. I purchases an XLR cable 20ft from Guitar Center (they can be had for like $15) and purchased an audio interface Presonus (used at Guitar Center for $32) and an AKG condenser mic for $149. I first started with the free version of presonus on my pc, but when I purchase I new laptop I then switched to GarageBand. If you browse the use section of GC website you can find good deals on recording equipment or keep an eye on sales they have you can also score. I was able to pick-up a pair of Sterling Audio mics for $50.

hope that helps some...

Thnaks!
J.D. Heckathorn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently using an Audio Technica 2025 USB large diaphragm condenser mic 4-6 feet away to get a bit of room so adding a reverb send can blend with it if I'm looking to add space depending on what I'm playing.

The USB makes it easy to go right into my MacBook Air and into Logic.

This has worked well for doing practice recording or for a production.
billm67

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend a Focusrite Scarlett...either the solo(only allows one mic) or the 2i2 (lets you connect two mics). Then look at a used mic on guitar center. The audio technica 2020 or the akg 120's are excellent lower end condensor mics. Then try garageband or studio one (the basic version of studio one is free). You can do alot of recording with a two channel audio interface and a pair of mics.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The internal computer mic is a sure recipe for poor recording.

As someone else said, the room, first, and the mic location are very important.

A simple setup will work just fine. Audacity (free) with a Zoom portable recording device. You can make up for some of the room problems with proper settings, but if you have noise (AC noise, fans, etc.) or too much echo, it will be tough.

I have a Zoom H2N ($120 on Amazon) that works well with my computer and Audacity for recording trumpet. I can also take the Zoom with me to record rehearsals, etc.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar questions so I’ll just ask here. I’m looking for a recording device that is under $200 and super easy to use (I’m not one with technology). Would you still recommend the zoom?
Richard A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:42 am    Post subject: Zoom H4n vs Zoom H2n Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
I have a similar questions so I’ll just ask here. I’m looking for a recording device that is under $200 and super easy to use (I’m not one with technology). Would you still recommend the zoom?

The Zoom H4n is available at that price. It is as easy to use and has more functionality. I recommend it over the H2n.
sergeybondarev
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's more interesting information - Recording the Trumpet - My Equipment and Setup

Link

theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergeybondarev wrote:
Here's more interesting information - Recording the Trumpet - My Equipment and Setup

Link

Great video. Thank you.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone hasn't already mentioned it, I recommend getting a 2nd drive to actually record the sound data onto instead of making your system drive do everything. That's how I always set up my systems. Also a good idea to set up a system like it's a gaming computer - lots of cooling. Not as crucial if you're running SSD drives.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
If someone hasn't already mentioned it, I recommend getting a 2nd drive to actually record the sound data onto instead of making your system drive do everything. That's how I always set up my systems. Also a good idea to set up a system like it's a gaming computer - lots of cooling. Not as crucial if you're running SSD drives.

Robert, Thank you for this. I am slowing fidgeting with recording, and did not consider this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: