• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

bell size

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brassman64

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a matter of ethics.If somebody presents themselves as something other than who they really are,then they are patently dishonest.You can make any number of excuses for them but they are who they are.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassman64 wrote:
It is a matter of ethics.If somebody presents themselves as something other than who they really are,then they are patently dishonest.You can make any number of excuses for them but they are who they are.

Who do you imagine has presented themselves as something other than who they really are? Who are you accusing of being dishonest?
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:
Who are you accusing of being dishonest?

Whoever it is I bet they have a large bell!!
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can think of many good reasons to change one's email address. That is not something which raises a flag for me.

It is easy for us to become judgmental of others and possessive of this forum. Anyone seeking to buy or sell in the marketplace would do well to engage in serious communication by telephone when considering an expensive transaction. The most competent scammers will fool even the most perceptive of us. Personally, I have to have a real good feeling about the other party in a deal, and that doesn't come from 5 posts or a hundred, but from the quality of the other person's involvement here. That is because my main reason for participating is to further my understanding of the mysterious art of playing the trumpet and the pursuit of musicianship. Buying and selling horns is just a small offshoot.

I don't pretend to be a great player. I am not. But my interest is still sincere and learning continues for me until life is over. Hopefully the lessons are positive ones, and not sour feelings left over from a deal gone bad. So be careful. There is nothing inherently wrong with newcomers, as banal as their posts might seem. I have not had a single bad transaction through the marketplace, and I have had many. If something looks too good to be true, it probably is.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassman64 wrote:
I do respect people and their opinions.I have no desire to deride people who have honest and sincere intentions. It is for the community to question things that appear less than honorable.For instance changing ones email address.

Perhaps if you read the whole thread carefully you would note that he was *accused* of changing his email, but hadn't.

I do find it interesting that someone who has such few posts feels the need to pile on someone who has been on the site for six years.

FWIW, I am very sorry I tried to make a joke at the OP's expense.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alternative perspective (devils advocate, sort of)...

Perhaps the idea of the 5 post rule is that it encourages people to post on the boards - rather than being there as a gatekeeper for the marketplace, maybe it's there as bait to reel people onto the boards?

I'd argue that 5 posts isn't enough to really "hook" these new members, it's too easy to just post 5 inane/empty posts and then disappear from the boards altogether (and many people seem to do it).... but at the same time, if the idea were to pull members in, then perhaps the idea of a 50-100 post requirement might be too daunting to tempt people into dipping a toe?

At any rate - whether the OP wants an answer to his question or just to get to 5 posts (and we've seen both posters who are clearly aiming for 5 maximum and those that ask questions very early on and then continue posting), the question is still there and the answers will still be read... whether that's now, or by people using search functions in the future - if people find useful answers, they're more likely to have a positive opinion of the boards (and more likely to join in IMHO), whereas if all they see is hostility and unanswered questions then perhaps they're more likely to go elsewhere?
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
paul7136 wrote:
bonjour

i dont change my username i just ask to change my email since 2013

Ok. Your original post that started this states you are a new member with 7 posts, maybe you can understand the confusion. Or maybe not.

Brad

The original post asked a question about bell size. A perfectly normal subject, on-topic, and not one of the completely inane subjects gathering more inanity by the hour and minute, elsewhere in these forums.

He did nothing wrong. He violated no rules. His post was perfectly normal. If he posted in the marketplace after meeting the requirements, he was not violating any rules.

The incessant whining about new members is more inane than anything paul7136 has posted, and impugning the motives and honesty of any member should be off-limits without some clear compelling evidence. Being a newbie is not evidence that someone's a scammer. Being a newbie in the marketplace is not evidence that someone's a scammer. Implying that they are scammers without any evidence should not be considered acceptable. It's shameful.

Apparently, the site owner does not want to limit the marketplace to the self-appointed exclusivists. Maybe bringing new members to the site is considered a good thing. I believe that the five-post rule is intended to prevent scammers and spammers, not to prevent actual trumpets from being listed for sale by people who have posted in discussions about actual trumpet bells, or to protect the feelings of people who are offended by it.

Can't we all just move on to one of the old and lengthy threads about which Bubba's definition of "dubba" is more hubba-hubba than some other Bubba's definition of "dubba"? Or whether there are only two kinds of trumpet players; those who own the quad C or the rest who are pathetic losers who spend their every waking moment wishing they could be so wonderful. Or what's the absolute best mouthpiece size for everything.

I mention these types of threads, because I see some of the most avid anti-newbie posters going on at length, deep in the inanities of such threads. And then I see some of the same people complaining about a few trumpet-related posts and a trumpet for sale, as if that's some kind of existential threat to their exclusive closed community.

“Anti-newbie.” Really.

Personally, I have frequently welcomed new members here who seem generally interested in participating in discussions, asking/answering questions, etc. I happen to believe that someone who throws up five brief posts, lists something for sale and then disappears is not especially interested in anything here beyond using the free marketplace. (Based upon an early comment on this thread it seems as if one moderator felt the same way). Obviously you’re ok with that, I am not, but as long as the five post rule remains unchanged, it doesn’t really matter what either of us think. However, I take issue with your assertion that I am implying that the OP, or anyone else who does this is a scammer, they are just someone who I would not choose to do business with. Why? Because I’m more comfortable buying from people here who are actual forum participants. There is a sense of community here; “community” does not necessarily equate “exclusivity.”

I’ll stop my incessant whining now.

Brad
Brassman64

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that I made too much out of nothing.I really didn't want to present myself that way.Members that know me from TM know that I'm not so very critical of people.so I will apologize to the OP and to anybody who I have offended and I will make a greater effort to be more objective in my future posts.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reality is that TH has in fact two branches: the forum and the marketplace. The system of having made 5 posts in the forum before you are allowed to enter the marketplace may have good intentions but may also lead to 'fake' posts with no real or well defined content which gives, together with unclear answers on this posts, a certain level of pollution in the forum.
If I follow the advertising in the marketplace I see a lot of names that I will never meet in the forum or I see members with 5 posts in 2015 which leads to the conclusion that forum and marketplace might have, for at least a substantial part, a different population of posters.
So it may be a better option to drop the five-posts-rule and find another touchstone to control newbies in the marketplace (like full name, adress, tel. number, I don't know).
What's wrong with fake posts? They are often rudimentary formulated so they lead to unclears answers with a lot of discussions about what could be the real question, the definition of "dubba, bubba" and so on, unfriendly discussions and a bad image for this forum in general.
Greetings from Franklin Delano Kiewiet, The Netherlands
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, still beating this dead horse?

This is how I solve the dilemma:

1) I see a topic posted
2) I open it
3) If it's some inane post or a resurrected zombie thread with an inane post from someone with, say, less than a handful of posts (count your fingers) I move on.
4) If it's not as in (3) above and it's interesting, I read it and maybe participate in the thread.

In the Marketplace, I do the following:

1) I see an interesting ad
2) Open and read it
3) If I am interested in buying, I check the seller's posting history
4) If I like what I see (decent history, and actual intelligent participation) and I can afford the item, I contact the seller
5) If it doesn't hold up to number (4) above, I move on

Very easy, and I don't end up beating the dead horse.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:49 am    Post subject: bell size Reply with quote

I don't think it is necessary to denigrate anyone here. I am fully ready to admit when someone's bell is bigger than mine!!
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
Wow, still beating this dead horse?

This is how I solve the dilemma:

1) I see a topic posted
2) I open it
3) If it's some inane post or a resurrected zombie thread with an inane post from someone with, say, less than a handful of posts (count your fingers) I move on.
4) If it's not as in (3) above and it's interesting, I read it and maybe participate in the thread.

In the Marketplace, I do the following:

1) I see an interesting ad
2) Open and read it
3) If I am interested in buying, I check the seller's posting history
4) If I like what I see (decent history, and actual intelligent participation) and I can afford the item, I contact the seller
5) If it doesn't hold up to number (4) above, I move on

Very easy, and I don't end up beating the dead horse.

Maybe the world is bigger than mr. Tpt._Guy.
J.D. Heckathorn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've frequented many forums since the early 2000's, and unless you're looking to kill what interaction you have the goal should not be to restrict any kind of posting other than for inappropriate content or comments.

Fact of the matter is people use these resources differently. I'm very much a lurker who reads and digests lots of great information on here to improve on what I like to do. Judging completely subjective motivations of anonymous individuals using a forum is not useful.

In terms of the marketplace I was a part of a forum where based on post counts or "reputation" it should require more posts to be able to use it, I think even 20 would be a good start. You don't want to miss out on a chance to garner views, clicks, comments from anyone regardless of their motivations. Also could be implemented a system where the person with less than X posts must ship or pay first to avoid scammers.

I'm just a pleb lurker tho so take that as you will

J
mdarnton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inasmuch as I'm sure I'm not the only one being constantly baited into here thinking I might actually learn something about horns and bell sizes, I wonder if the mods would consider moving this thread out of here, the space for horn questions, into the designated whining forum, https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14 , and maybe change the tread name, too?
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very good move is moderators let us now how many thousands members have only five posts , this will solve every misunderstanding I guess.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
agroovin48

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: bell size Reply with quote

paul7136 wrote:
why a big bell size?

Wow! I am amazed! A five word post elicited so much angst, outrage, and speculation.

Somebody told me that the American Space Exploration Program was long dead, but this forum discussion proves them wrong. There has been enough energy expended here to send a space ship from here to at least Jupiter and maybe further.

Give it a rest. Talk about something important, like how much you dislike Bachs or Yamahas, or people that you think are contemptible because they are not playing professionally, or end their sentences in a post with a preposition.

Some people who are members of TH are long time members that do not post very frequently. I think that many do not post because when you look at the forums, no matter what the subject, you see the same people blabbing on and on about anything and everything. They are the self appointed experts on all things trumpet, and the indignant moral compass for or against anyone who does not measure up to their incredibly high standards. That's a lot of phony baloney. Think about it and ask yourself, "Should I post or should I not post?"

Maybe I should not have posted, but it felt good to get it off my chest. Now I am going to give it a rest.

Alan Cahill

1933 Conn Victor 80A Cornet
King Legend 2070
Adams A1V2

Last edited by agroovin48 on Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:30 am; edited 2 times in total
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: bell size Reply with quote

agroovin48 wrote:
or end their sentences in a post with a preposition...
Not to mention abuse of the apostrophe!
agroovin48

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: bell size Reply with quote

veery715 wrote:
agroovin48 wrote:
or end their sentences in a post with a preposition...
Not to mention abuse of the apostrophe! :evil:

Thank you for pointing that out. I have to admit that it is one of my favorite perversions.

Alan Cahill

1933 Conn Victor 80A Cornet
King Legend 2070
Adams A1V2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: