• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

what is the best non-toxic valve oil you know?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Al Cass in an Olds Ambassador because the seller had been using it, but it seems when I play the horn or am exposed to it when oiling the valves, it dries out my nasal passages, and causes other physical reactions.

I had been planning to switch to Yamaha Medium oil that I use in my Strad, which seems not to cause issues for me, but I may try Berp in the Ambassador after rinsing out the Al Cass.

I happen to be one of those people who are sensitive to toxic chemistry. I think it comes partially from having been exposed to photographic darkroom chemistry in past years, as well paint thinner when using oil paint.

Last edited by Rhondo on Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned Monster Oil EcoPro. I am assuming that since it is plant based, it is non-toxic. I have switched to EcoPro after using Hetman's for years and find it works at least as well, if not better.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned Monster Oil EcoPro. I am assuming that since it is plant based, it is non-toxic. I have switched to EcoPro after using Hetman's for years and find it works at least as well, if not better.

Think I’ll try the EcoPro. Haven’t seen any reviews and have wondered if their products haven’t caught on. I’ve really enjoyed their Brass Chats interviews on YouTube so I may just order some other stuff from them too.
Quadstriker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:

I'll shout them out. The Monster Oil guys have customer service that is unparalleled in this industry. They went above and beyond to help me figure out which oil to use with an older instrument. I'll give them my business anytime I can.
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhondo wrote:
Think I’ll try the EcoPro. Haven’t seen any reviews and have wondered if their products haven’t caught on. I’ve really enjoyed their Brass Chats interviews on YouTube so I may just order some other stuff from them too.

I have be using Monster Oil Eco-Pro for 2 years on my horns without issue. I do not know if it is non-toxic, but I do not have any reactions to any oils that I have used in the past. Email Monster Oil and inquire about the toxicity. See TH thread link below, which has some comments regarding the Eco-Pro line.
Ron

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=158489&highlight=
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
Monster Oil
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EcoPro is indeed 100% non toxic. Also as far as whether it's safe to ingest petroleum based valve oils, be aware that you are indeed ingesting the fumes, and also that these oils require a prop 65 warning for a reason.
www.BrassChats.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: