• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke Trumpets.....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzartizt1742
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to know what ya'll tink about Schilke Trumpets (The B Series or X or whatever you call them). I'm looking into seriously buying one and i want to know what experiences u've had with them and what you think of them. I don't want this to to turn into a Schilke Loyalist Love-fest or anything (LOL) just the facts and what you know. Thanks a lot, any info is appreciated!

[ This Message was edited by: jazzartizt1742 on 2003-12-12 15:26 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Jim Donaldson's website http://www.dallasmusic.org and you will find out a great deal of facts on the Schilke trumpets.

I have never owned one but have played several and like them a lot. Excellent quality.

Wilmington Big Band
Artistry In Jazz Big Band
Snake Malone and the Black Cat Bone Blues Band
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never blown a bad Schilke in my life. I think very highly of them. Best feature in my opinion? Their intonation which is usually spot on.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played them (the piccolo especially) and have found them to be a little bright for me.

I know a lot of people swear by them, but for me the ones I have tried were not the way to go.

If you find one that works for you, go for it. There are loads of models out there and I haven't yet played them all, if I found one I liked I would have no hesitation in buying one. Their reputation is very good.

As with all trumpets, my advice is to play as many as you can and choose the one that works for you. Everyone has got opinions, usually based upon their experiences. If they have found an instrument that works for them, they will probably recommend it to you as well, based upon their good experiences. Unfortunately, that instrument may not work for you, we are all different and want different things from our instrument.

If you try Schilke and like them, they could well be the way to go for you.
trumpetrmb
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing to do is get somewhere you can play a variety of Schilke models. You can get a number of bell and bore combinations that change the resistance of the horn. Different players like different setups.

I recently visited the factory, and got to play a number of great horns. They are a real class act, and make excellent trumpets.
PatchesTheCat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can write a book for this post but I will restrain. Visit the Schilke Loyalist Webpage. My best way to express Schilke to you is to say that if you play a particular model of a Schilke (say for example B6), you have played all the B6's. Played one X3, you've played them all.

There are slight differences when you change bells like B6 compared to B6b, but other than the response and sound difference, everything else will be the same. I have never seen a poorly made Schilke or one with poor intonation. The valve action are amazing and regarded to be one of the best.

I used to play a 6310Z but was having valve issues, my transition to the B6 only gave improvements to my playing. If you want specifics, let me know, it would be my pleasure to share more info.

Regards.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a B6L for a long time but, truthfully, my Kanstul 1504 plays better for me.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Redhothorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Schilke B-1 ... and have owned a Schilke S42 and X-3. I love these horns. They are hand made versus an assembly line. Jon Faddis and Roger Ingram both play gold plated Schilke's. You might try-out a Callichio and a Kanstul also.

Roger Keiper at Washington Music Center (Chuck Levins Washington Music Center) usually has a lot in stock and will out sell most anyone.
bkmdano
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been said the Schilke sound is bright. I really think the sound is rich and brilliant. It has a color that adds to a section. You can't beat Schilke quality or valves. They are the best valves I've played.
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned three Schilke trumpets:

1.) B5
2.) S22
3.) X3

They were all great and I wish I still owned them all!
jazzartizt1742
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah Patches i WOULD in fact like to know specifics about the horns. if you're not too busy lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schilkes are great horns. I was on a search for a B1 or B1L that matched a magical one that I've played. Then I ran across the Selmer-Paris Concept TT. If you like Schilke, then you owe yourself a look at Selmer-Paris. Schilke has a broad line and Selmer-Paris has only two Bb horns marketed in the USA. People attracted to the larger Schilkes, like the X3, B1, etc. are the ones most likely to connect with the Concept TT.

Just a thought. I'd never dream of trying to break up a Schilke lovefest.

Dave
PatchesTheCat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I will again direct your attention to the top source on the subject ( http://www.dallasmusic.org/schilke/ ). My information on this is by personal testing and by that website.

B4, B6, B7 - Differ only in bell. I found the B4 to be slightly more resistance maybe due to the throat opening of the medium bell not sure. These are very easy-to-play horns and pack lots of sizzle. The B6 can give a very warm sound probably due to its Copper bell. The B7 gives a broad and rich sound and if I ever owned a tuning bell B6, I would order a large bell to utilize this beautiful tonal quality. The B4 was a tad bit too focused and resistant for my blood.
S42- Very cool horn. Heavier in weight but medium bore. This is a resistant horn but very fun to play. I was almost going to buy this horn. The B6 felt more relaxed in the upper register to me and allowed better note bending and flexibility.

B5, S32 - I personally didn't care for these models but I do hear they are among the top models sold for Schilke. I played these and got an immediate feedback from the air on my lips. They were very resistant. My roommate didn't think so on the S32 but agreed on the B5. You may like these (many people do). The B5 has a copper bell so it can be very warm and the S32 is a bit heavier so it can adapt better in those Bach 180 situations. IMO any Schilke can fit in with a Bach. Bach trumpets need more input to make them sound pretty like a Schilke though

B1, B2 -Too big for me. Step bore designs ML to XL. Judging by Ebay, a lot of people buy and sell B1's. They seem very popular. B2 is more focused in sound but many people swear by the B1. B1 has that large sound that I admire. Maybe some former Bach people who now play B1 can chime in on this model.

X3, S22, B3 - Holy Crap these are huge. They play almost like a .470 Benge to me. My roommate has a very broad sound naturally so he likes the B3 to focus in a bit for him. These are gigantic and take a lot to fill up but if you can do it you have probably got the loudest sound on earth. Sandoval played the X3 for the longest time. The S22 is heavier so it doesn't bite as much as the others, but it will if you push it.

Again, read the Schilke Loyalist Webpage, he does great work on there. These were my personal opinions when I tried them all. I didn't linger on the larger horns because 3 seconds of playing told me they weren't for me. I spent considerable time on the medium bores so I can expand upon them further if needed.

Regards.
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned a B1 (twice) and a B5 and played several other B5's and X3's. First of all the X3 is way too big for me. I owned the B1 during a time I was changing horns every two or three months That's another story). The B1 was in pretty sad shape when I got it. Ron Pinc (sp) revived it for me and it was an incredible horn. I know this was Renold Schilkes favorite but I always felt that I didn't have a lot of control with it. Of course that was about 7 years ago when I was starting my comeback as a player so maybe now it would be different. I have a friend that has a B1 with a Berylium bell and I love that horn. I have no trouble with it and it has great projection and a nice sound. I found the horn in a store for him and I tried to get him to sell it to me (he has 7 horns) and unfortunately he won't. The one B5 I had was the most responsive horn I ever had. In fact it was so responsive that I traded it back for my heavier horn. It knd of scared me. I have tried since to find another one like that and haven't. This next week I will probably get a chance to play a B6 & B7. These will be my first medium bore Schilkes. I know several people that just love them. I think at some point I'll own another Schilke. I should have kept the ones I had. Oh well, I can't worry over past horns. I just need to go shopping!

Mike
Shofar Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a B3 for years and I love it. It's a close #2 to my Eclipse! Until I got my Eclipse, I had always thought of Schilkes as the "Cadillac" of trumpets.

Leigh (a.k.a. Eclipse Trumpets/First Class Brass) recently overhauled my B3 and finished it in Silver with gold accents - it looks and plays beautifully.

Good luck!

Rob
Numbers 6:24-26

Eclipse MR, Scr. Lacquer/Schilke B3/Benge MLP
2LIP
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schilke:

The only word that I can use to describe the Schilke sound is "Pure". I own and play an S32 and like jhatpro (hey Jim) a Kanstul that I really enjoy playing. If I had to do it all over again, I would probably get a B1L, but I fell into this S32 for the right price and the timing was right on, so I bought it.

They make great horns. The horns are very well constructed starting with the various Bell size options, have a bunch of bore sizes (straight and multi-bore) and materials to choose from (yellow brass, berylium, rose brass). Valves are the tightest in the business, and intonation is right on as others have said. I have found that the Schilke MP's match up very well with Schilke Trumpets (IMHO). If you are considering one, then check out as many as you can. Like the others have said. Check out Jim Donalson's website and find out who has the B5 to start with. Finally, when checking out horns, have someone on the other side of the bell listen to you on various trumpets. They will hear things differently then you do behind the bell. I found that you may be between 2 great horns, and their ears will make the difference in what you choose.

Good luck.

The LIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: